• Similar Content

• RJ
      By RJ
      Actually planted these this spring. I planted a filabusta but a rabbit or something ate it to the ground. 
      I also planted butia but it drowned in all the rain we got this spring. I’ll try again this upcoming spring. 

Below is a mule , planted as a two gallon maybe, it took right off without skipping a beat. 

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      My Sabal miamiensis I germinated in 2015 from seeds I collected in Leu Garden, Orlando, has just finished ripening its crop of seeds for 2021 last week. I posted about this palm in 2020 because it has by far the largest seeds of any Sabal I have seen - twice as large as my first Sabal miamiensis I was gifted in 2008. See link below:
      https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/65324-sabal-miamiensis-leu-garden-huge-fruit-seeds/&do=findComment&comment=954404
      Photo 1:  Left) Six seeds of S. miamiensis 'Leu Garden' - compared to - Right) six seeds of my older S. miamiensis 'Original' (2020)

The 2021 seeds are just as large as last year's and the mother palm flowered early this past spring weeks before any of my other Sabals, including my first miamiensis. Those seeds started ripening in August whereas other Sabal spp seeds won't ripen until late Oct. through Dec. When I posted the topic linked to above, it was suggested that this palm may be a hybrid of an S. miamiensis mother (from which I collected seeds in 2015) and a Sabal mexicana growing close by in Leu. In any case I have an excellent crop of seeds available and wonder whether PTers who experienced last winter's record cold in TX might find them worthy of growing for the future, esp. if they include mexicana genes. It is gratifying to see how much greater respect the Sabal genus has gained over the past few years. This hybrid has grown quickly and vigorously - for a Sabal - since I germinated its seed in 2015. No one has quantified how cold hardy S. miamiensis is as it is extinct in the wild and exists in only in botanical gardens and a few private collections. But I suspect its toughness will approach that of palmetto, perhaps even minor. See links regarding the history of this storied palm:
      https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/1627-sabal-miamiensis/&tab=comments#comment-24549
      https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/47965-does-sabal-miamiensis-sabal-palmetto-does-it-matter/&tab=comments#comment-736500
      There is much more to read about the (pure) species but little or nothing about possible S. miamiensis hybrids. If you are interested in trying this hybrid, read on.
      For Sale:
      Sabal miamiensis 'Leu Garden' x S. mexicana hybrid seeds: $0.25 each                     Minimum Purchase = $10.00
      Shipping = $6.00 for up to 200 seeds. For more, request quote           No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested. Tell me how many seeds you want and I will respond with a quote. Give me your name/address to copy/paste on a mailing label. When you pay, tell me.
      NOTE: Please give me 24 hours to respond. After 24 hours, send me a civil reminder.
      Photos
      Cleaned/uncleaned seeds

Mother Palm

• KsLouisiana
      By KsLouisiana
      Hey experts! So question for y'all.  So my local landscape place has 10'-12' Sabals right now non regenerated for $425. Not a bad deal. I was wondering if y'all think its a good time to plant one mid September.  I have a perfect spot for one and really need one. Haha. Thoughts on if there's enough warmth left in the season in Southern Louisiana zone 9.  I guess it's similar to North or central Florida.  Thanks for the advice y'all!

• Tennessee Palms
      By Tennessee Palms
      One of my Sabal Minors has completely different fronds from the other's. They are larger, stiffer, not as deeply divided, and they have strange folds. I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't a different sabal like sabal x brazoriensis. 
    • MSX
      By MSX
      Hello everyone! I've been into palms for quite some time but this is my first experience of watching a palm grow from seed, and it happened that this is a Butia. I've been following these recommendations Germinating Butia Seed By Nigel Kembrey. Chamaerops No. 51 - published online 22-04-2005. According to the recommendations, a seed starting soilless medium contains 75% perlite and 25% vermiculite. The medium was watered only once in the beginning before placing the nuts on the top of it, now it's almost bone dry to touch. Having spent nearly a month in a container (7 days of soaking + 21 days on the top of the medium) one of the seeds(nuts) have sprouted

Two more days and it pulls the nut up burying deeper into the perlite/vermiculite medium

The article mentioned above suggests the following: "I tend to allow the seedling to develop in the perlite until the leaf is visible, and then lift it out and pot it up. This gives the best survival ratio." So, my question - should I leave the nut like this until it develops the first small green leaf before transplanting it from the soilless medium to a separate container with a regular soil based medium? Or is it okay to move it in to the soil based medium right away? Thanks!