Sign in to follow this  
quaman58

Random day in the garden

quaman58

Hey all, today was a rare, reasonably relaxed day. Overcast all day, which made gardening as comfortable as it gets. Here's s few things that I'd thought I'd share: 

First up are flower spikes on P. reclinata, very pretty following a major trim job. 

IMG_1094.JPG

• Like 7

quaman58

Next up is a nice, shade grown Pritchardia flynii, followed by a deeply shaded Chamaedorea costaricana. 

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_1098.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

quaman58

A neat Dypsis, possible hybrid from some seeds Bill Austin gave me on a visit. Developing a nice furry red crownshaft.

IMG_1095.JPG

IMG_1096.JPG

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

quaman58

A Jubea grown from seed, probably 13-14 years old. I've cut off watering it; so it's on its own. This could be a problem some day. Followed by a slow, but content Clinosperma bracteale.

IMG_1099.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

• Like 6

quaman58

A Basselinia sordida being swallowed by a Hawaiian tree fern, and a Ravenea louvelli, probably in too much shade. Sorry, pictures came out in reverse order.

IMG_1100.JPG

IMG_1101.JPG

• Like 6

quaman58

Last up, a new planting of Veitchia spiralis. Veitchias are touch and go here, so we'll see. Thanks for looking!

IMG_1103.JPG

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

palmfriend

Thank you for the tour - really nice looking specimen!

best regards from Okinawa

Lars

The Steve
58 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

A neat Dypsis, possible hybrid from some seeds Bill Austin gave me on a visit. Developing a nice furry red crownshaft.

IMG_1095.JPG

IMG_1096.JPG

Looking good, Bret.  Is that the same dypsis that you gave me a few years back?

71D4E858-9417-4A89-B2B2-20818B50B4F9.thumb.jpeg.6ed7d1c66ef0633ec6cd2f527a562a39.jpegD4D341DE-4AF1-4308-889F-FCD884E9AC3F.thumb.jpeg.36925bbd1fd4ddc8c55df5e019e63186.jpeg91984301-C361-496C-BCE4-9902150AB572.thumb.jpeg.3386c5c06ea0cf12567c0d422ba3714f.jpeg

quaman58

It is Steve. The ones I know of are all pretty similar looking. Kind of like heteromorpha, but nicer. Yours looks great!

• Upvote 1

quaman58
17 minutes ago, palmfriend said:

Thank you for the tour - really nice looking specimen!

best regards from Okinawa

Lars

Thanks for looking Lars! 

• Like 1

Hilo Jason

Thanks for sharing these photos with us.  Looking good!

Briank

Looking good.   Are you in the Colder canyon area of UC or on top of hill?  I’m in Clairemont zero frost in my area but others say it’s Colder in some areas of UC.   

Are you cutting water off from Jubea cause it’s grown to a point you don’t have to water it much?   I don’t have a straight Jubaea, only JxS and BxJ growing in Clairemont. Both about 15ga size on drip 

quaman58

Hey Brian,

Yeah, I'm in a canyon of U.C, just north of Marion Bear Park. As for the Jubea, it's beautiful at this stage, but the raised planter bed is only a couple feet or so wide. I've seen Jubea trunks that are easy 3 foot plus wide. I planted it there because for years, the neighbor at the top of the hill had numerous Pine trees that soaked up all available water and acidified the soil no end. So I was just looking for anything that could deal with those conditions, which it did. Pine trees are gone now, so everything in that zone is growing well. It's gonna find it's own water; there's a new lawn in the neighbors yard, so I get some free watering benefits. Usually it's been the other way around..Where in Clairemont are you? I was born there.

Bret