palmie

I have a mature Canary Island Date Palm that needs fertilizer badly.  The margins of the fronds are turning yellow prematurely. I finally got the right fertilizer, but I’m not sure how to apply it.  The instruction says to apply it to the area under the canopy.  But the area under canopy are mostly hedges and grass. What do I suppose to do? 

Apply the fertilizer to the hedges and grass and hope that the wrong fertilizer won’t kill them and some will make it to the root zones of the palm??  

Alternatively, skip the hedges and the grass, apply only to the Root Initiation Zone (RIZ) of the palm wherever possible, including the dormant aerial roots?

I’m in South California.  The fertilizer I initially ordered was Palmgain, but it never arrived.  I went to a local store and got Palmtone (organic 4-1-5) and Epsom Salt instead to mimic Palmgain.  Since Palmtone is organic, I'm assuming it's ok to apply close to the trunk where the RIZ is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MyPineapplePalm.jpg

MyPineapplePalmRIZ.jpg

Edited by palmie
formatting error
  • Like 1

8B palms

Hi Gwen,

Most palm fertilizers are fine to use on your lawn and shrubs no problem, however, lawn fertilizer is not conversely good for palms, I think you can simply apply in the shrubs and lawn, maybe others might have more knowledge

• Like 2

palmie

Thanks Craig!  I do notice that the Milorganite lawn fertilizer is affecting my Magnolia tree adversely causing it to develop oversized but thin leaves.  It's either the nitrogen rich Milorganite or the seaweed foliage spray I've been using on that tree, I doubt that it's the latter. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Coasta
      By Coasta
      I have been growing to canary island date palms for the last two years. 
      One of them i repotted back in May and the center sphere came out. It may have been due to watering the crown.  
      Here are photos of that one l and unfortunately it didn't survive. 
      My question is I don't want to screw it up for the second CIDP I am growing as I am growing it for my cousin. 
      When is the best time to repot it, I would hate to slow down the growth of the trunk if this pot is too small. P.s i am in Mesa az

• Teegurr
      By Teegurr
      Hi, new member here. I just received these Canary Island date palm seeds from treeseeds.com. I wonder how long I should keep them indoors and when to plant outside. Also, what soil would be good for them? I appreciate the help! 

• Coasta
      By Coasta
      Hello all!! Thinking of adding another canary island date palm to my yard. 
      Would like to gather opinions on the minimum amount of space needed between the two while allowing the fronds to still look nice. 
      Thoughts would be appreciated.
    • Coasta
      By Coasta
      Hello all! Just wanted to get your opinion on what could be causing my canary island date palms to have dark/ burned looking spots on each rachis that has come out this summer? 
      The palm seems to be very happy as it has put out quite a few new fronds, just curious.