• Similar Content

• Funkthulhu
      By Funkthulhu
      I'm moving again.  Finally back into a house, not an apartment, with floor to ceiling windows on the East side, smaller high windows elsewhere.  However, I'm now going to be sharing space with my beloved.  As much as she would probably let me, I can't bring myself to hoard all of our space with palm trees.  I have all that space in front of East windows, but I also have to take into account the big pots outside that will need to come inside in the next couple months.  
      I have a number of "winners", like my oldest palms, my dwarf date, my wild collected Veitchia, and several others that are happy and healthy.  However, I also have about a dozen pots of seedlings in various states of development, containers of unsprouted seeds, and just rando that has potential but hasn't shown any initiative.  How do you choose?  There isn't enough room for everything, some of this HAS to go!  I've always had a mind-set of "if you live, I'll make space for you", but I seem to be hitting a wall against that.  
      /rant, thanks for reading, any advice or personal anecdotes would be appreciated. 
    • Funkthulhu
      By Funkthulhu
      It is springtime, and a man's fancy turns towards thoughts of repotting his container ranch...  
      Let's be straight here, I'm in Nebraska, I have some "big" palm species creeping past the juvenile stage. . . and my ceilings are only 8 feet high right now.  Container Ranchers, how do you decide how big of a pot you will use for each of your species.  Assuming everything is deep enough for tap-roots and whatnot, does the pot size help or hinder the size of your palm?  In my most recent post I was talking about a potentially sick Veitchia, that little guy is getting a growth spurt right now.  Save for the freezing winters, if it were outside it has the potential to get freakin' huge.  I don't want it to be freakin' huge.  In fact, I'd like to keep it relatively unchanged for the foreseeable future.  They say a goldfish will grow to the size of its tank, but that's just hooey.  A goldfish keeps growing depending on how much food it gets and how long it lives, sometimes despite being too big for its tank.
      I guess what I'm asking is this:  In your experience does a larger pot equal a larger palm?  Does a larger pot equal a faster growing palm?  And by reversal, does a smaller pot keep a palm smaller for longer?  
      I don't want to end up with sickly stunted trees, but something that doesn't burst through the roof in a few years would be nice.  It means I get to enjoy my palms longer than I would normally in my apartment.  If that means I delay or even never increase the pot size for some of these species, I want to make sure I'm not doing them undue harm.
      Cheers!
    • Funkthulhu
      By Funkthulhu
      I have a couple juvenile palms in a large-ish (3 or 4 gallon? bottom watering reservoir) pot in my apartment.  North facing window, but it's a full patio door.  These guys have rarely seen full sun and have been slowly chugging away for about 7 years (since seeds were collected in 2012).  Now, the largest of the 3 in this pot has started thickening around the bottom (still narrower than my wrist) and its top-most frond almost touched my 8 foot ceiling before arcing over to hang a good 6-7 feet at its highest.  No changes to heat, light, water, or fertilizer in the last 3 years.
      This winter it seems that the fronds are "fading".  Or that they're edging into a lighter green, to an almost grayish green, but still not on the edge of yellow.  I'm concerned because other than the color of the fronds, the plant looks really healthy and, as said above, the main trunk is starting to bulk up a bit.  Should I be worried? 
      For reference, I believe this to be a Veitchia arecina, based on visual inspection of the mother tree, fruits collected and sprouted, and the look of the plant now.
    • Merlyn2220
      By Merlyn2220
      The below bare root Attalea Cohune just arrived as part of an order from GardenOfDelights nursery, and it's the first tillering palm that I own with a large and very visible heel.  I've potted it up temporarily and will probably put it in the ground in about a month, but I'm not sure about planting depth with a tillering palm.  All the photos I've seen show the heel above ground and the root initiation zone on the vertical trunk section should be planted below ground.  About half of the active roots appear to be coming from the heel, but I didn't take a picture of the bare rooted plant.  Below are three pictures, two showing the root/heel detail as I have it planted, and one with about 0.5" of soil brushed away from the root zone on the trunk.  The horizontal wet line on the third photo is just where I washed away dirt to make the root initiation zone more obvious.  So does this seem like a good planting depth, or should I add or remove a little soil?

• DoomsDave
      By DoomsDave
      I’m thrilled to announce a giveaway of Caryota mitis seeds!
      Free to anyone who sends a PM with name and mailing address, worldwide.