PalmTreeDude

Chamaedorea radicalis Seeds Question

PalmTreeDude

I received some Chamaedorea radicalis seeds about one week ago, and have had them soaking in water since (changing water out, of course). I’m about to sow them but I noticed there is a thin looking layer of shell or something around the actual seed, should I try to peel that off or is it fine if it stays on? 

7A9B7ECB-F1FB-47D4-8248-7AF8B774A5A2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

gilles06

Hi Dude,

Peel off what you can, but it is not necessary...

• Like 2

Plantasexoticas

As above .. not necessary but you can if you want, just put them somewhere warm and they should germinate quite quickly 

• Like 1

PalmTreeDude

Thank you both, I peeled off the thin layer just to help it as much as I could. They’re in the bag with moist sphagnum moss on a heat pad now. 

Plantasexoticas
5 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Thank you both, I peeled off the thin layer just to help it as much as I could. They’re in the bag with moist sphagnum moss on a heat pad now. 

Best of luck! I was kindly given some seeds from a member on here and now have several little palms 

Plantasexoticas

BB1D3619-AEF4-48AA-83F4-81E4FB5D1939.jpeg

545D19D2-65AB-422A-8370-4F5B0FE4E346.jpeg

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• GardnerDylan6a
      By GardnerDylan6a
      What time of year does W. Filifera or Robusta flower and produce seed?
    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Awhile back I posted photos of the first surviving crop of seeds from my Dypsis lanceolata. Those seeds are harvested and ready to go to new homes.
      https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Dypsis_lanceolata
      This is a clustering Dypsis but only sparsely so. My palm has two stems and is 8-10' tall. It is notable for its unusually long, arched fronds and wide, rippled leaflets. It is closely related to Dypsis pembana and cabadae.
      Dypsis lanceolata fresh seeds: 50 @ $10.00 for the lot
                                                         100 @ $15.00 for the lot
      Shipping = $6.00 in a padded envelope. I cannot ship seeds or plants outside the US. No shipping to HI.
      Payment via Paypal.
      PM me if you are interested
      Photos

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      My one remaining Dypsis lanceolata has put out its largest crop of red, oblong seeds to date. It has only 2 stems instead of the usual 5 or 6 and stands 9-10' tall. My D. pembana and D. cabadae are much larger and more robust. I wonder if C. lanceolata is more sensitive to my calcareous, alkaline soil even though I mulch it heavily. But it's nice to photograph seeds at eye level for a change. Lanceolata has unusually wide undulating leaves that give it a plumose appearance. See Palmpedia link below:
      https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Dypsis_lanceolata
      Dypsis lanceolata, Cape Coral, FL

• JohnAndSancho
      By JohnAndSancho
      I gave Phil at Jungle Music (and UPS ) a chunk of my stimulus check. 

C. Benzii, C. Plumosa, and another Kentia that def needs to be repotted and was way bigger than Phil told me over the phone. 

Pretty sure my apartment manager is gonna send me a nastygram email, and now I really need to get off my culo and repot some things so I can give them away. 

• SALOttawa
      By SALOttawa
      Hello,
      I just joined the forum today. I have been growing palms for a few years now, but I have always brought them indoors for the winter. This year I decided to try growing 3 varieties of hardy palms: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Washingtonia Robusta, and Chilean Wine Palms. I bought seeds on eBay. I have found good instructions on the TFs and the WRs, but I haven’t found anything reliable on the Chilean Wine Palm seeds. Has anyone had experience growing these from seeds? Some sites suggest breaking the shell off, while others don’t. I have them soaking in water at the present time and I will be planting them on Friday. I am hoping to get some good advice before then. Thanks in advance,   SALOttawa