IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaedorea radicalis Growth Rate

PlantDad

My chamaedorea radicalis is growing quite fast. I get 1 leaf like every 3 weeks to a month. Maybe that is normal but it seems fast. How fast do they normally grow? I would love to hear about other people's experiences with growing chamaedorea radicalis. Also if you have pictures of your own radicalis please post them do I could see them. Thanks

tmp-cam-7042191622832681414.jpg

tmp-cam-5177655669040125770.jpg

tmp-cam-1798649225656625263.jpg

tmp-cam-1509536886144683779.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2020 at 8:10 AM, Laaz said:

They can grow quite fast, but fastest in well draining soil.

Ok good to know. Thank you

Mine are very slow, but in a garden outside so not relevant to you I suppose.

When I say slow, everything is relative, but in the garden they have gone to about two feet when the Ch. tepijilote has gone to 12 feet in the same time.

Once they get to a certain bushy size I think that they will slow down (mine in the garden did) unless they are the trunking form.

You probably know that there are different forms, the trunking and the non trunking forms,

And in my opinion there are 'variations in between'.  They take longer to start trunking.

The 'variations in between' are not officially recognized but it has been the experience of a well respected palm grower friend of mine that all of his radicalis eventually went trunking, some took over 15 yrs but then they shot up. 

Sorry this is probably a discussion for a different thread.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

• 2 months later...
On 3/20/2020 at 9:12 PM, gtsteve said:

Mine are very slow, but in a garden outside so not relevant to you I suppose.

When I say slow, everything is relative, but in the garden they have gone to about two feet when the Ch. tepijilote has gone to 12 feet in the same time.

Once they get to a certain bushy size I think that they will slow down (mine in the garden did) unless they are the trunking form.

You probably know that there are different forms, the trunking and the non trunking forms,

And in my opinion there are 'variations in between'.  They take longer to start trunking.

The 'variations in between' are not officially recognized but it has been the experience of a well respected palm grower friend of mine that all of his radicalis eventually went trunking, some took over 15 yrs but then they shot up. 

Sorry this is probably a discussion for a different thread.

Thank you. I think mine are the trunking form. They all have above ground stems. Very frost hardy too. I've exposed mine to multiple frosts and they did just fine. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Planted in the right soil outside with adequate irrigation they can grow exceptionally fast.