Jump to content
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
wrigjef

Frost or Freeze Question

Recommended Posts

wrigjef

Do you think this statement is accurate?  

Because my banana plants look like this today, there is no chance we have had a frost or freeze this winter.  Thanks for the responses.  

96489E58-3E7A-4D53-8B81-6E0145CFE070.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal

Not accurate regarding frost.  We've had our usual frosts this year, as with every year, and bananas look fine - if wind tattered.

If you have frozen, my guess it was not for a long duration.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wrigjef

Interesting, good to know.  I thought frost would fry the leaves for sure.  I am trying to gauge how low it really got in my yard this year.  I didn’t protect anything like in years past and nothing burned at all.  I have other Banana plants as well that are too tall to protect and thought for sure they would fry but didn’t.  I didn’t realize they could handle a frost or freeze for any duration. Thanks for the info. 

F96151C3-D4E0-47AC-9EF3-99B82E98B2AF.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal

My guess is they will come down if you have a freeze of any duration, but if you are like here the chances of that are basically over for the year, given the 10-day.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wrigjef
3 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

My guess is they will come down if you have a freeze of any duration, but if you are like here the chances of that are basically over for the year, given the 10-day.

Makes sense.  I think we are getting close to the point where a freeze would be rare but last year around Feb 21st we had 3 nights in the low 30’s, so not out of the woods just  yet 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AZPalms

My bananas out here on the base of the white tanks look about 75%-80% as good as summer and we did hit 31-33f albeit briefly (duration maybe an hour?) each morning last week.  They don’t look as nice as yours. They’re a bit wind tattered from the year. No frost. I think with Bananas and really anything is duration of freeze and frost, also daytime high. Here in AZ, position of the plant in the yard makes a huge difference. We warm quickly with sun. The majority of my yard sees first sun helps tremendously with any freeze or frost. 

Based on last years crazy week long early morning freeze we saw an ultimate low of 25/26. I would say the upper 20’s is the breaking point where you’ll see damage to bananas regardless of duration. Could be wrong but that’s what my yard showed last year. 

 

Do you have a weather station? I like keeping an eye on my personal yard. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wrigjef
18 minutes ago, AZPalms said:

Do you have a weather station? I like keeping an eye on my personal yard. 

I have 3 thermometers around my property but they do not record anything.  During the week I am up at sunrise and check the temps daily but not on weekends.  I know in last years freeze I got to 28 on two nights. I am pretty sure I have not had a freeze so far this year at my house 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AZPalms
4 minutes ago, wrigjef said:

I have 3 thermometers around my property but they do not record anything.  During the week I am up at sunrise and check the temps daily but not on weekends.  I know in last years freeze I got to 28 on two nights. I am pretty sure I have not had a freeze so far this year at my house 

Decent chance you haven’t! Out here I’m surrounded by mountains, farmland and the open desert to the west. We barely had a freeze this year. If you’re inside the 101, you may have flirted with freezing but may have only seen 34/35

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim in Los Altos

I use these out in the open Heliconia as my guage. 32°F and they’ll burn or at least spot badly. Not since 2007 have they been freeze harmed. This winter’s lowest low was 36.5°.

 

373B2761-C456-4C1B-86A2-3FD6DCC62E3A.thumb.jpeg.f9818092e431883ba7caecbdc1c316df.jpeg1EFF1641-AE33-46B8-91F5-96E4C508C41F.thumb.jpeg.4906049a461005991bc20dffaf68f086.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wrigjef
On 2/9/2020 at 5:55 PM, Jim in Los Altos said:

I use these out in the open Heliconia as my guage. 32°F and they’ll burn or at least spot badly. Not since 2007 have they been freeze harmed. This winter’s lowest low was 36.5°.

 

373B2761-C456-4C1B-86A2-3FD6DCC62E3A.thumb.jpeg.f9818092e431883ba7caecbdc1c316df.jpeg1EFF1641-AE33-46B8-91F5-96E4C508C41F.thumb.jpeg.4906049a461005991bc20dffaf68f086.jpeg

They look beautiful, that is some mild weather for Cali, no freeze since 07 is impressive for just about anywhere in the continental US besides South FL  

what kind of palm is in the second pic? Beccariophoenix Alfredii?   The trunk looks just like mine.  Could be a Parajubaea Torallyi.   Anyhow send a pic looks to be massive!   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim in Los Altos
9 hours ago, wrigjef said:

They look beautiful, that is some mild weather for Cali, no freeze since 07 is impressive for just about anywhere in the continental US besides South FL  

what kind of palm is in the second pic? Beccariophoenix Alfredii?   The trunk looks just like mine.  Could be a Parajubaea Torallyi.   Anyhow send a pic looks to be massive!   

The one you’re seeing the trunk on is in the first pic and is torallyi. I have several Parajubaea as seen in the other pics. One is flowering for the first time. 

E4892EA3-6FC8-428C-BD10-2BB0D30E314F.thumb.jpeg.2821c3dc0309eeb8ab6124586c723320.jpeg

06C703CB-AD7A-4318-8A6E-DCE7ADE8C0B9.thumb.jpeg.aa03a22bc0fc970ee29635dbbce8867f.jpeg

2AE62FD0-4FE7-4612-93FA-47038DE836D8.thumb.jpeg.c9dc86cd7cfdd8753ce1efb9e25e10ed.jpeg

04F67766-BBB6-47C8-A301-620926C90088.thumb.jpeg.16d7510c1fc55057d49e55fb88d62272.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gonzer

Banana, Plumeria, and Heliconia, (and Schizolobium) are the "canaries in a cold mine" for many of us who rarely experience freezing temps.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wrigjef
5 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

The one you’re seeing the trunk on is in the first pic and is torallyi. I have several Parajubaea as seen in the other pics. One is flowering for the first time. 

E4892EA3-6FC8-428C-BD10-2BB0D30E314F.thumb.jpeg.2821c3dc0309eeb8ab6124586c723320.jpeg

06C703CB-AD7A-4318-8A6E-DCE7ADE8C0B9.thumb.jpeg.aa03a22bc0fc970ee29635dbbce8867f.jpeg

2AE62FD0-4FE7-4612-93FA-47038DE836D8.thumb.jpeg.c9dc86cd7cfdd8753ce1efb9e25e10ed.jpeg

04F67766-BBB6-47C8-A301-620926C90088.thumb.jpeg.16d7510c1fc55057d49e55fb88d62272.jpeg

Beautiful thanks for sharing. The palm in the first pic has a great Coconut Palm look to it.  Nice work!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×