IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Carpoxlyon question

Plantaddiction21

I’m in south Florida. Anyone have success with these in a good bit of sun while somewhat young. Say 7 gal size. Thanks! 

Edited by Plantaddiction21

I've grown them in the ground  in full sun from 2-gal size in east Hawaii Island. Keep in mind the cloudy, rainy climate and high humidity.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

I believe you are taking risk planting a young Carpoxylon in full FL. I lost two small ones that way. I waited to plant my 3rd until it was 10g+ size then carefully placed it in partial shade on the rise overlooking the canal. It still sunburned/sunburns but did not totally fry.

1262956974_Carpoxylonmacrosperma019-8-12.JPG.ecab7dcd33f2475d3270db3b67211b8b.JPG

1378189809_Carpoxylonmacrosperma0212-24-19.thumb.JPG.fba291411de0ab66969a2ca6b74f8cad.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Looks great! The area really in question gets about 3-4 hours of good afternoon sun. Rest of day is filtered light. Thoughts?

What kind of lighting should a seedling get? Is led lighting ok. It seems like my plant is fine. I have one of them. Don’t know too much about it. Except it’s fast compared to others 

4 hours ago, Plantaddiction21 said:

Looks great! The area really in question gets about 3-4 hours of good afternoon sun. Rest of day is filtered light. Thoughts?

Afternoon sun is the harshest. You should consider doing a trial placement while it is still in the pot so you can whisk it back under canopy if it burns. If you can expose it gradually all the better. If you decide to plant it monitor it closely. You may have to shield it with shadecloth if it burns badly.

Meg

Florida

2 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

What kind of lighting should a seedling get? Is led lighting ok. It seems like my plant is fine. I have one of them. Don’t know too much about it. Except it’s fast compared to others 

They do need lots of light. If it looks good you are probably doing the right thing. People who have never been to FL don't understand how brutal the sun is even in winter. 

Meg

Florida

On 12/28/2019 at 12:16 PM, Plantaddiction21 said:

3-4 hours of afternoon Sun would be good for a 7 gal.  I have had 100s of 7 gal growing in about 6 - 7 hours of hot mid day Sun. and they looked good.  These were kept well watered and were grouped together.  I have to agree with what Dale stated when he said they need at least 3" of wood, if not more, to look good in Full FL Sun.   I have seen 10' - 12' Carpoxylon get some leaf burning in Full FL Sun, even w/ lots of water.

DSCN5043.thumb.JPG.08949874d151cb67360227ef8f0eb02e.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Looking good Meg, Mike! These are so attractive when they are mostly crown shaft with a few feet of trunk. Mine have gotten so tall that you have to look up to enjoy them. Still a great specimen palm for the garden though.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii