IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bismarckia Seedling :)

Dartolution

Just wanted to share. 

I got a Bismarckia seedling from Phil today. 

I'll repot in the spring possibly, or leave it be until it fills it. 

Thoughts?

Bismarckia2-06DEC2019.jpg

• Like 3

Good looking seedling, I have ordered many palms from Phil. Plant in the spring and protect in the winter for at least 2 years to let the roots take hold after that your good down to 20° 

• Upvote 1

T J 

@OC2Texaspalmlvr its doubtful I will plant it in the ground here. I am in 8a, and we do have snaps down into the teens on occasion. January is our coldest month. Weather data is all over the place with our average minimums. All I can say is that it is extremely variable. lol 

Any good climate data websites you have would be appreciated. It seems as though every one that I have googled has a different opinion. 

Most lows from what I can tell are usually in the 20's. The lowest I saw was 9.2F several years ago. 

Yea just keep in a large pot.  That will be a fine palm.  If you're staying at the house concentrate on filling the backyard with 8a palms as in the ground you will see so much better growth.  My big trachy in pots grow SO much slower it's crazy.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Yea just keep in a large pot.  That will be a fine palm.  If you're staying at the house concentrate on filling the backyard with 8a palms as in the ground you will see so much better growth.  My big trachy in pots grow SO much slower it's crazy.

@Allen definitely. I just am not sure when to repot it. Its my first bizzie. 

There are Trachys, Palmettos, Butias, Needles, and a few others scattered all over the area. 

There is a house across the street from where I live that has 3 or 4 very mature tall trachys that have been there for years. 

I like them, but they grow so slow IME. 

You might be able to find 8-10' Trachy around or in FL for $4-500ish

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

@Allen

here, 3.5-4ft runs $250. I haven't seen much price difference at all. Finding one that is 8-10ft for $400 would be unheard of here.

10 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

@Allen

here, 3.5-4ft runs $250. I haven't seen much price difference at all. Finding one that is 8-10ft for $400 would be unheard of here.

Man there is a chap down the road from me with 8+ foot ones all stacked up to sell. I'll have to check and see what he's getting for them. 

• Like 1

Make sure to use deep pots for your Bizzie, i.e, at least 14" tall treepot size. Repot with great care so as not to damage/break any roots. Bizzies are extremely root sensitive.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Nothing wrong with a Bizzy for a house plant I have several super hardy indoors I water only when half way down the pot dries 

• Like 1

@PalmatierMeg Thank you for the tip I have several large ceramic pots that will do quite nicely! Do you recommend any specific soil mix, other than one that drains well?

@Rickybobby It'll stay outside on the patio in full sun for the great majority of the year. January is really the only month that gets hard frosts and I won't risk that. 

Other than that, It should be able to stay outside from mid-late february - mid november and parts of december. I'll bring it in if we have a freeze.

What is their cold tolerance in your experience?

My biggest concern with ceramic pots is if your pot has straight or slanted sides with a wide mouth your Bizzie will be easier to remove without damage to roots or pot. But if the pots are "fat" or "squat" with a narrow mouth you may have to break the pot to extract the palm or risk fatally damaging your Bizzie's roots.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

@PalmatierMeg Oh I learned that lesson long ago when I had 6 good sized Pheonix roebelenii palms in large pots for 4 years. 

While they grew quite well, when it came time to repot them it was all but impossible to remove them. 

The large ceramic pot I have does not have an "urn" shape but instead has a wide mouth and tapered bottom. 

• 6 months later...

Just wanted to throw an update out there on the bizzie.

Growing strong, but has this weird purple/multicolor appearance.

I have read this is a result of cold exposure? 

Bizzie109JUL2020.thumb.jpg.b8ea79fbf4c4da13f22989a102aca87d.jpg

Bizzie209JUL2020.thumb.jpg.8df86732a822e6b084d6a0d0043315ad.jpg

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, Dartolution said:

Thoughts?

No clue on what caused the color variation but it is really cool looking. 

• Like 1

@DAVEinMB Its strange. Green and Blue glaucous leafs that fade to a mauve purple color, and has that blue glaucous coating in bands almost as the leaf emerges. 

Its in a very tall pot, and has been growing consistently. 

1 hour ago, Dartolution said:

Thoughts?

From what I understand from members here, the purple color is an indication of the degree of silver the palm will eventually get.  The more purple as a seedling/juvenile the more silver it will get.  Looks good!  :greenthumb:  I have 4 Bismarckia that I grew from seed that are roughly the size of yours and they look similar.  One that I have in the ground had a reaction to cold this past winter with only the outermost leaves showing purple.

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

@Fusca Well, Phil's stock of bizzies on his website look remarkably silver/blue so if that logic holds thats good!

The purple is on all the new growth this year, which, to my knowledge hasn't really been exposed to anything lower than 60's. Oddly, the older strap leaves that are green and blue were exposed to 40's and aren't purple... I dunno. As long as its healthy Im happy. I wanted a bizzie for 10 years. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dartolution, congratulation to your beautiful young plant and surprised to learn the indoor option.  At least knowing it will takes years to become a good size. Keeping it in port is a good idea even we have hot weather in zone 10a.

Starting from seeds last year. I have these two Bismarckia seedling transplanted to more permanent pots for two months now. One more coming from a new seedling in a month or so, they are younger than yours for sure.  there is no center spear yet. I guess that is/will be a milestone.

I just want to put thm here to track their progress along with yours as a new palm growers.

IMG_20200728_225019.jpg

US Southwest Zone 10A

That's normal for very silver bizzy with sun exposure.  Theyll get deep purple/magenta. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I used to lived in DFW area 13 years working for Texas Instruments. House at Highland Village next to Lewisville Lake along I-35E.

Since Dallas can be cold and snow. What kind of Palm can grow there? Just curious!

US Southwest Zone 10A

On 7/29/2020 at 7:45 PM, Padraic said:

Since Dallas can be cold and snow. What kind of Palm can grow there? Just curious!

Like TCHP says, there's remarkable choice. Some good ones to try are Sabals, Trachycarpus, Mediterranean fans, and Washingtonia's. Bismarckia, unfortunately (and to stay somewhat on topic), are not...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Swolte said:

Sabals, Trachycarpus, Mediterranean fans, and Washingtonia's. Bismarckia

Swolte, thanks. Bismarckia is in the list.

US Southwest Zone 10A

14 hours ago, Padraic said:

Bismarckia is in the list

Nono, I had a period after Washintonia's. Bizzies generally won't last in zone 8.
:)

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 7:48 PM, Dartolution said:

Phil's stock of bizzies

Who is Phil? Anyone (Dartolution) has a link? Thanks in advance.

US Southwest Zone 10A

• 2 months later...

UPDATE!!!!

Nice growth out of my little bizzie this year. 

Took this photo today. 

BismarckiaNobilis04OCT2020.thumb.jpg.d1b51959010201da27fcb8dd1d01d0da.jpg

• Like 2

I wonder if nearly purple is more cold hardy than silver lol

Beautiful little bizzie!!

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

1 hour ago, Dartolution said:

UPDATE!!!!

Nice growth out of my little bizzie this year. 

Took this photo today. 

Growing good!

• Like 1