Jason in SB CA

Phoenix canariensis disease?

Jason in SB CA

My parents have two Phoenix canariensis that have been growing fine, but recently one of them has started to produce malformed fronds. Their gardener said it is a disease, but I am not sure if that is the case. I know they likely do not sanitize their tools in between trimming, so I would imagine all their canary island date palms would have this problem. If it is a disease, what can be done?

IMG_20191028_172214.jpg

IMG_20191028_172158.jpg

IMG_20191028_172206.jpg

IMG_20191028_172227.jpg

• Like 1

Jason in SB CA

For fun, here are some other palms I have growing there:

Ceroxylon alpinum
Roystonea borinquena (or oleracea, can't remember at the moment)
Rhopalostylis baueri
Dypsis decipiens
Parajubaea torallyi

and others

IMG_20191028_172353.jpg

IMG_20191028_172331.jpg

IMG_20191028_172317.jpg

• Like 2

kinzyjr
31 minutes ago, Jason in SB CA said:

My parents have two Phoenix canariensis that have been growing fine, but recently one of them has started to produce malformed fronds. Their gardener said it is a disease, but I am not sure if that is the case. I know they likely do not sanitize their tools in between trimming, so I would imagine all their canary island date palms would have this problem. If it is a disease, what can be done?

Almost looks like frizzle top, but I haven't seen it on Phoenix canariensis.  If it is, fertilizing with manganese will help correct this issue. 

Might also be boron deficiency: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/EP/EP26400.pdf

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Coasta
      By Coasta
      Hello all!! 
      I was at a local nursery last weekend and noticed a few of there canary island date palms had suckers growing from base/trunk. 
      From what i understand phoenix canariensis don't sucker. Any thoughts? 

• Marc
      By Marc
      Can one effectively prune phoenix roots and what is the best strategy for doing that?  I have a number of phoenix in large pots (e.g., 25G plus) and unlike most other families, phoenix will grow roots so aggressively that they will lift the entire palm, root base, soil and all right out of the pot such that it's no longer aesthetic.  I'm attaching two photos below that show this.  I think it was in a David Lesser book that I saw a photo at Versailles with many dozens of date palms in pots, i.e., I'd like to keep these in pots of the same size but this would require aggressive root pruning strategies.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom?  The species I've got in mind are Dactilyfera and Reclinata.

• Coasta
      By Coasta
      hello everyone! Just had a question. I have had this canary island date palm in the ground for about a year and a half. It seems to be growing pretty slow as the trunk hasn't expanded a whole lot and the leaves don't seem to be getting longer. I do fertilize it and water it a few times a week. Any idea orare they this slow when they are small?
      Also I notice that at some nurseries I go to the fronds are way longer than what mine are (45 inches), with about the same size trunk. Does this mean my canary island date palm won't have those awesome super long green fronds and they will be shorter? 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      This Phoenix dactylifera seedling needed to be repotted about a year ago from the little cup I first put it in. Finally got around to it and just wanted to show you it. Grown from seed out of a store bought date and it stretched, I need to give it more sun. My potting mix didn't drain at all so I had to mix topsoil with sand. 

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      I was a bit surprised by the girth of the trunks in this group of Phoenix which appeared to be a clumping species.  Unfortunately due to foliage and the lens that I had on at the time, I could only get the trunks as opposed to the entire palms when I was close.  YOu can see in the 2nd & 3rd photos the width of the trunk compared to the Washingtonia robusta adjacent to them.  Once up above I got the first photo of the crowns which is smack dab middle of the photo, with all the robusta's adjacent again.  The palms are in the San Diego Safari Park.  Everything was looking very green including the hills across the San Pasqual Valley after this winter's abundance of rainfall.  My first guess was a Phoenix reclinata hybrid with one of the thicker trunked Phoenix, but I don't claim to be that familiar with all the Phoenix species.  That said, I am also aware of the abundance of Phoenix crosses.  I've seen so many palms that appear to be Phoenix reclinata with varying length fronds, which are not necessarily linked to the light exposure, so I have little doubt that they are willing partners in hybridization.  What think you?
      Just a side note, that the signage on plants is sorely lacking at the Safari Park ,or as we old timers knew it the "Wild Animal Park", when compared to its big sister facility, the San Diego Zoo.