IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A little Royal line up!

NOT A TA

Been experimenting with different germination techniques for Roystonea Regia outdoor here. Had some seedlings I'm trying some things with and so I figured I'd line some up and take pics to entertain and maybe we all learn something.

From seed to seedling, reminds me of those "evolution of man from ape" posters for some reason.

20190814_180812_zps5nyrt8za.jpg

Someone had a great thread here with seedling pics a member had tagged with all the correct terms. Can't find it now but I took this pic in case they wanted it for that thread.

20190814_173728_zpsly2x8rav.jpg

Hard to see the littlest guys in the pic above so.....

20190814_180844_zpsn8q4zc1c.jpg

Pic below you can see the difference in germination & growth between ones started in full sun pot on left and the pot on right in full shade but not dark shade. Pot in full sun about 70% germination rate from what I've seen so far but the seedlings took longer to sprout. Pot in shade looks like higher germination rate but will have to count duds when I check it.

20190814_193500_zpsawxt2v3r.jpg

The plants in the tiny seed germinating to small seedling lineup above were all moved to 6" pots as part of another experiment (pic below). I know the pot's are too short, that's what I'm testing the effects from. You may have noticed in the "lineup" pic up top that the bottom of the longest roots took a 90 degree turn when they were in the community pot to get started. That pot was deeper than the 6" pots. Don't worry, even if I kill them I have a couple hundred more larger seedlings than the ones used for the lineup pic and I have other experiments in store for them. The "full sun" ones I used for pics above were the poorest performing of the various potted germination techniques I was testing. Germination experiments were also done directly in ground. I can elaborate on various germination results if anyone's interested.

20190814_190024_zpsqqascnwy.jpg

And in case anyone wonders what the proud parent looks like.... It watches my every move at the potting bench. Yes, I climb and remove the whole infructescence when seed is ripe.

20190814_172959_zpsaqtcyuiz.jpg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

I love it! Royals are one of my favorite palms 

• Upvote 1

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

11 minutes ago, NC_Palms said:

I love it! Royals are one of my favorite palms 

There's quite a few of them in my neighborhood 30-40 years old. The one in the pic my neighbor grew from seed when he bought his house. When I first bought my home here he would cut off the inflorescence before it opened and then started asking me to do it before they opened since the trees were getting taller and he's getting older. Now, I let them grow so I can get the seed and remove just before they make a mess. Here's the next two on that tree that haven't opened yet. There's other Roystonea in his yard fruiting now I'm using the seed from for other experiments.

20190814_173018_zpsy1u0rikd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mostapha said:

hey, if you ever decide to sell any of these royal seedlings let me know a price and shipping, thanks Mark

Be happy to sell ya some. Will send a PM.

42 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Royals are an absolutely amazing palm! They are definitely in my top ten favorite palms list! 

Hi, I had asked NOT A TA about purchasing a few. I live in upstate NY, so I do know that given the proper care they will grow potted in door during the colder times and placed out side during the nice seasons they grow into a beautiful palm, just as anything else while growing potted they will be somewhat slower and not grow into a giant quickly. By then I usually have someplace that I can donate to.  Look at some of the botanical gardens, many of those palms and plants are donated.

So, if the palm does interest you as you said, it may be worth looking into for you as well. I just received Adonidia seeds from him that are absolutely wonderful. I already have them set up for germination. thanks Mark

Edited by Mostapha

• 2 weeks later...

Inflorescence opened a week after pic above. Posting here so I can keep track of timeline for seed development. Pics taken 2 days apart.

20190819_163432_zpsb3iwhxy1.jpg

20190821_185900_zpso1akkjv7.jpg

• Like 2

If anyone wants 100s of royal seedlings I have them coming up around my mother palm. At the moment they are on schedule to be yanked up and composted. My mother palm has been sponsoring a takeover of CA gardens for years.

Royal_seedlings_08-24-19.thumb.JPG.6f16b4e8e7b341b8945f49c3ab097a18.JPG

• Like 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

17 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

If anyone wants 100s of royal seedlings I have them coming up around my mother palm. At the moment they are on schedule to be yanked up and composted. My mother palm has been sponsoring a takeover of CA gardens for years.

Royal_seedlings_08-24-19.thumb.JPG.6f16b4e8e7b341b8945f49c3ab097a18.JPG

That’s crazy. Maybe throw one in for my Lisa order as well? If it’s not too late

• 11 months later...
On 8/19/2020 at 10:36 AM, chocolatethunda said:

@NOT A TA

This is great info, how do you get seeds to germinate and how long does it take approximately ?

I sell seed on Ebay in listings like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/264802410222  and on my website in the back pages of the catalog

I also sell them on my website in the back pages of the catalog. https://lab-14.myshopify.com/products/copy-of-z-o-20-roystonea-regia-seeds-florida-royal-palm-also-called-cubanroyal-palm-cleaned

They germinate pretty quickly with warmth & water in community pots outside here.

EDIT: Just noticed you're in Aruba so you need to check import regulations I'd think.

• Like 1