SilverDragon

Just a little something I noticed

SilverDragon

I literally just screenshot this off of my buddy's Instagram story just now (please ignore the silly shark lol). I couldn't help but notice what looked like Washingtonias, but he is in SC near Myrtle Beach. Do Washies actually manage to get this big in Myrtle? I do see the dead trunk on the left, however...

Screenshot_20190730-233754.png

NC_Palms

I’ve seen taller Washingtonia in southeastern North Carolina than those in the photo. 

Washies will grow until a cold front or some other natural event kills them off. 

• Like 1

SilverDragon

He told me it's at Landmark Resort in Myrtle Beach. The buildings look like they provide some protection, but it's a bummer they are doomed nonetheless. I recall seeing a very sad, stunted Washy when I was in MB last year...but I also saw P canariensis that were fairly impressive. They handle the cold better I take it?

Edited by SilverDragon

PalmTreeDude

When my palm addiction first began and I started looking out for palms when I traveled south, I saw a Washingtonia robusta with a full crown and skirt that was taller than the house it was at in Southeastern North Carolina. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 2

GottmitAlex

Folk wven in the northern western tip of Mexico (across the border fron San Diego)  have said to me that Washies are coconut palms..... not kidding.

SilverDragon
Just now, GottmitAlex said:

Folk wven in the northern western tip of Mexico (across the border fron San Diego)  have said to me that Washies are coconut palms..... not kidding.

What does that even mean??

GottmitAlex
1 hour ago, SilverDragon said:

What does that even mean??

That folks do not know the difference between palms.

Palms are palms , i guess....

• Like 1

SilverDragon
6 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

That folks do not know the difference between palms.

Palms are palms , i guess....

That's kind of hilarious

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• xoRudy
      By xoRudy
      I have two Washingtonia Palms in the back yard, I'm wondering what type I have. I have a 5 gal, which I'm pretty sure its a Robusta but on some days I think its a Filbusta. I also have a little seedling that I posted a while back, but its put out some new leafs. Filifera, Robusta, or Filbusta? 
      First 5 pics are the 5 gal
      Last 3 is the seedling

• McClell.Col829
      By McClell.Col829
      Hello my Fellow Palm Talkers, I purchased a Washy (labeled as a Filifera, imo its a Filibusta) about a month ago from HD, I normally don't get my palms from big name corporations, however this palm was priced very low for its size and for the area I live in, St. George, Utah. It's been in the ground for a month, I've been good about watering it,  and I use fish emulsion fertilizer during planting, in my experience it usually helps reduce transplant shock. Anyways, I'm concerned about a couple of things, however the speckling on the petioles is my main concern. I'm wondering what it may be, and what I can do to treat it or remedy it. Any input, recommendations, thoughts and ideas will be greatly appreciated. I hope everybody is doing as well as they can during these stressful and challenging times! I hope you all stay safe and healthy! God Bless,

Thanks

Colby

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Yesterday we returned home from our annual two-week stay at our timeshare on Fort Myers Beach. I took the following photos of the view outside our apt. at sunset on our last night on the beach. Silhouetted against the glowing sky are a coconut and a couple Washingtonias. May everyone's view be as glorious as this.
      Sunset at Ft. Myers Beach, 8-6-2020

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Yesterday we returned home from our annual two-week stay at our timeshare on Fort Myers Beach. I took the following photos of the view outside our apt. at sunset on our last night on the beach. Silhouetted against the glowing sky are a coconut and a couple Washingtonias. May everyone's view be as glorious as this.
      Sunset at Ft. Myers Beach, 8-6-2020

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Is this normal? I noticed the oldest frond on my new Washingtonia robusta that I got from Lowes (really cheap) was dying in a weird way, it is almost like the way some diseases start in palms. But the thing is it was like this for a few weeks now, I think I am just being paranoid. Does this look normal? Maybe it was just damaged so it is dying like this? I just am hoping this doesn’t have some disease.