SilverDragon

Just a little something I noticed

SilverDragon

I literally just screenshot this off of my buddy's Instagram story just now (please ignore the silly shark lol). I couldn't help but notice what looked like Washingtonias, but he is in SC near Myrtle Beach. Do Washies actually manage to get this big in Myrtle? I do see the dead trunk on the left, however...

Screenshot_20190730-233754.png

NC_Palms

I’ve seen taller Washingtonia in southeastern North Carolina than those in the photo. 

Washies will grow until a cold front or some other natural event kills them off. 

• Like 1

SilverDragon

He told me it's at Landmark Resort in Myrtle Beach. The buildings look like they provide some protection, but it's a bummer they are doomed nonetheless. I recall seeing a very sad, stunted Washy when I was in MB last year...but I also saw P canariensis that were fairly impressive. They handle the cold better I take it?

Edited by SilverDragon

PalmTreeDude

When my palm addiction first began and I started looking out for palms when I traveled south, I saw a Washingtonia robusta with a full crown and skirt that was taller than the house it was at in Southeastern North Carolina. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 2

GottmitAlex

Folk wven in the northern western tip of Mexico (across the border fron San Diego)  have said to me that Washies are coconut palms..... not kidding.

SilverDragon
Just now, GottmitAlex said:

Folk wven in the northern western tip of Mexico (across the border fron San Diego)  have said to me that Washies are coconut palms..... not kidding.

What does that even mean??

GottmitAlex
1 hour ago, SilverDragon said:

What does that even mean??

That folks do not know the difference between palms.

Palms are palms , i guess....

• Like 1

SilverDragon
6 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

That folks do not know the difference between palms.

Palms are palms , i guess....

That's kind of hilarious