Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Palms That Grow On Slopes

PalmTreeDude

What are some palm species that grow on slopes on the sides of hills or mountains? I know that Chamaerops humilis grows on slopes in Southern Europe and Rhapidophyllum hystrix can be seen growing on the slopes of some of the hilly areas in the Deep South U.S. What other palms tend to grow on slopes naturally? Any pictures to share? 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

Rickybobby

Trachycarpus 

GottmitAlex

Brahea armata

471197125.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1

Silas_Sancona

A few off the top of my head:  Brahea, Coccothrinax,  Copernicia...  Sabal uresana ( in Sonora, Mexixo )

NC_Palms

Not my photo by many different species of Trachycarpus are known to grow on slopes. Pictured below is Trachycarpus takil

673px-Trachycarpus_takil_(kalamuni)_WP_.jpg.15e70fb6361157d230b1dd5a331f2948.jpg

• Like 1

Pal Meir

Lytocaryum insigne (= Syagrus insignis, Cocos insignis) in ES and also RJ/Brazil on steep slopes from 500 m to 1,800 m altitude (photo c. 500 m):

625400310_SantaLeopoldina71283484.thumb.jpg.cf150bfe82368bc7e02980287c83dd27.jpg

Pal Meir

Livistona inermis in NT/Australia:

1011873354_Livistonainermis79N09-1212a.thumb.jpg.1caa7ed9b808445af566a13d432334ab.jpg

• Like 1

Pal Meir

Phoenix loureiroi, here in Hong Kong:

474956581_Phoenixloureiroi1988-02-27.thumb.jpg.014ef80300a681c0bb0c036c1c72bba5.jpg

Pal Meir

Satakentia liukiuensis, here in Ubuñdul/Iriomote:

82761465_Satakentia87N08-0430a.thumb.jpg.ee5d0fd6da164a321032336cd49ae25f.jpg

CLINODAVE

Alexanders are hillside colonizers here in East Hawaii.  Intro from Queensland, long since naturalized.  Someone was telling me the other day that they were introduced for their ability to prevent slope erosion.  Dunno if that is true, but all the Alexander hillsides i know of around here are intact!

(photo courtesy of https://images.app.goo.gl/YCFPBuUnJLfT9KtU6);  also, credit to davesgarden.com and palmbob)

Alex HI.jpg

Edited by CLINODAVE
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Hello everyone, I was looking at an app called iNaturalist, which is an app that lets you post and look at observations of plants and animals around the world, and I typed in Cocos nucifera and found this post in northern Morocco by the Mediterranean Sea. Does anyone know any information about this? I thought that it would be too cool in the winter for them there. 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Is this normal? I noticed the oldest frond on my new Washingtonia robusta that I got from Lowes (really cheap) was dying in a weird way, it is almost like the way some diseases start in palms. But the thing is it was like this for a few weeks now, I think I am just being paranoid. Does this look normal? Maybe it was just damaged so it is dying like this? I just am hoping this doesn’t have some disease. 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I received some Chamaedorea radicalis seeds about one week ago, and have had them soaking in water since (changing water out, of course). I’m about to sow them but I noticed there is a thin looking layer of shell or something around the actual seed, should I try to peel that off or is it fine if it stays on? 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I just bought my first Dypsis lutescens (clump) at a local nursery to use as a potted plant. What are some things I should know about these? How fast do these grow? I saw some big ones in the nursery that had full sized trunks. Would it be possible to separate some of the smaller ones from the edge of the clump without hurting the others? 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      So I have some Leucothrinax morrisii seeds that are finally germinating and I have a few questions about them. First, are these remote germinaters? Also, how long does it take for them to root well into a pot so I can set them outside (when it starts warming up)? I like to put my seedlings outside as soon as a can but wind sometimes makes the newly potted up ones tilt sideways, and it turns into a constant battle of me carefully repositioning them.