Jump to content
palmsOrl

Zone 10 Palms in the Orlando Area Mega Thread

Recommended Posts

Merlyn2220

Here's a fall 2019 update on the two coconuts at the Hindu Center at the corner of E. Carrol St and Old Dixie Highway in Kissimmee.  They both look a lot better this summer, I think they have been fertilizing them, finally!  Hopefully we'll get another mild winter and these will still look good in the spring!

 

20191028_125646.jpg

20191028_125700.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric in Orlando

Vintage postcard from 1941 showing a Royal Palm at Lake Eola Park in downtown Orlando.

eola1.jpg

  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pj_orlando_z9b

Fruit putting on some size. Makes the chilly night seem a little warmer. 

20191115_134054.jpg

  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
12 minutes ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Fruit putting on some size. Makes the chilly night seem a little warmer. 

20191115_134054.jpg

You’re coconut is looking really good! It’s tempting me to try one here. 

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pj_orlando_z9b

Thanks @RedRabbit. Should I show you pics right after Jan 2018? Lol. Hoping for another friendly winter!

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pj_orlando_z9b

More pics from Belle Isle. A coconut that made a remarkable comeback after 2018. The other is a new home owner that is transforming their property into a tropical paradise. 2 new royals, many foxtails, areca and a totem pole added. 

PSX_20191116_145145.jpg

PSX_20191116_145118.jpg

  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
1 minute ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Thanks @RedRabbit. Should I show you pics right after Jan 2018? Lol. Hoping for another friendly winter!

Haha that's okay, I've saw plenty of toasted coconuts around here after Jan 2018. 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric in Orlando

I ran a 5k Saturday morning in downtown Orlando, heres a few things I saw. 

DSC_6805~2.JPG

DSC_6801~2.JPG

DSC_6807~2.JPG

  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric in Orlando

DSC_6793~2.JPG

DSC_6795~2.JPG

DSC_6791~3.JPG

  • Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric in Orlando

Also in downtown Orlando is this decades old Phoenix sylvestris, now with a Schefflera actinophylla growing in the crown. 

DSC_6799~2.JPG

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
2 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

I ran a 5k Saturday morning in downtown Orlando, heres a few things I saw. 

DSC_6805~2.JPG

DSC_6801~2.JPG

DSC_6807~2.JPG

Is that last one a Satakentia?

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric in Orlando
3 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Is that last one a Satakentia?

A very robust Archontophoenix , maybe a hybrid

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xenon

WOW! That is a beefy Archontophoenix, upstaging the royals in the background. 

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
4 minutes ago, Xenon said:

WOW! That is a beefy Archontophoenix, upstaging the royals in the background. 

I’ve seen a few Myolensis and Maxima like this, but definitely is uncommon! 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric in Orlando

For some reason it looks thicker in the photo. The royals behind it are actually thicker in person.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sonoranfans

yeah when the palm is  closer it always looks thicker relative to a background.palms.  Those royals arent super thick but they do cover ~half a window, probably 18" +/- thick trunks.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex

Are there any large and/or fruiting coconut palms planted publicly in Orlando proper?

If so, can I get an address?

Thank you.

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ck_in_fla
6 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Are there any large and/or fruiting coconut palms planted publicly in Orlando proper?

If so, can I get an address?

Thank you.

 

They are far from fruiting...   But, the coconut palms planted at the service station on the South West corner seem to get larger every time I drive by there.  With all the concrete in that area, I would bet that they will be around for quite some time.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr
6 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Are there any large and/or fruiting coconut palms planted publicly in Orlando proper?

If so, can I get an address?

Thank you.

 

The best one to see is the International Drive coconut outside of Charley's Steak House: 8255 International Dr #100, Orlando, FL 32819

They do trim off the fruit for obvious reasons, but it is one of the few pre-2010 coconuts inland.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric in Orlando

There is also a decent one visible downtown from the westbound I4 ramp at Hwy50/Colonial Dr. it is at one of the mansions on the south side of Lake Concord. It is big enough to be fruiting. Supposedly some in the Conway area that are pre 2010 survivors. Also mature ones at Sea World, Sea Word's Discovery Cove, the Volcano Bay water park and Bob Marleys at Universal. I think there are still some pre 2010 survivors at the Royal Pacific resort at Universal too.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
7 hours ago, ck_in_fla said:

They are far from fruiting...   But, the coconut palms planted at the service station on the South West corner seem to get larger every time I drive by there.  With all the concrete in that area, I would bet that they will be around for quite some time.

Where is this service station located?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
6 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

There is also a decent one visible downtown from the westbound I4 ramp at Hwy50/Colonial Dr. it is at one of the mansions on the south side of Lake Concord. It is big enough to be fruiting. Supposedly some in the Conway area that are pre 2010 survivors. Also mature ones at Sea World, Sea Word's Discovery Cove, the Volcano Bay water park and Bob Marleys at Universal. I think there are still some pre 2010 survivors at the Royal Pacific resort at Universal too.

The ones on Lake Concord are particularly impressive. I’m guessing the ones at the parks had some help that winter.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmsOrl
16 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Are there any large and/or fruiting coconut palms planted publicly in Orlando proper?

If so, can I get an address?

Thank you.

 

I'm not sure of the exact address, but there is a large, healthy coconut on Lake Howell Road about a mile south of Howell Branch Road on the east side of the street in a front yard in Winter Park.

There is also a really tall Jamaican tall in front of Charley's on International Drive.

Also, there are two planted side by side at Smash Burger on Colonial Drive in Orlando.

All three palms mentioned are pictured previously in this thread.  I will repost when I get a chance.  There is also one in Altamonte Springs that was posted about by a member here in the past year or so.

There are many seedling to juvenile-sized coconuts in the ground in the area that I can think of.  All in all not many trunking coconuts in the Orlando area thanks to 2010 and a relative lack of availability.  I have seen many small ones planted out in this area that fail to make it past a winter or two due to a double whammy of our winters which average barely survivable for a young coconut and a lack of care.  I believe most would survive to a larger size provided a string of average to mild winters if proper care were given during the establishment period.

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ck_in_fla
2 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Where is this service station located?

 

Oops!

South West corner of Orange Avenue and Kaley Street just south of Downtown Orlando.

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
12 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

The best one to see is the International Drive coconut outside of Charley's Steak House: 8255 International Dr #100, Orlando, FL 32819

They do trim off the fruit for obvious reasons, but it is one of the few pre-2010 coconuts inland.

Very nice! We just landed. Time is limited (we fly back on Sunday 3pm.  Client of mine gifted us a flash weekend getaway with plane tickets, hotel and a pair of DisneyWorld passes as well.) and this is our first stop.  Guess what? It has coconuts!!!

I'll try to sneak a few others on Sunday. Mein Frau already says I'm nuts about coconut palms. (She's not too into it) It's muggy and warm as heck. No wonder Orlando a great place for coconuts.

Regards everyone!

20191213_190939.jpg

  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr
1 minute ago, GottmitAlex said:

Very nice! We just landed. Time is limited (we fly back on Sunday 3pm.  Client of mine gifted us a flash weekend getaway with plane tickets, hotel and a pair of DisneyWorld passes as well.) and this is our first stop.  Guess what? It has coconuts!!!

I'll try to sneak a few others on Sunday. Mein Frau already says I'm nuts about coconut palms. (She's not too into it) It's muggy and warm as heck. No wonder Orlando a great place for coconuts.

Regards everyone!

Glad you got to see it!  I usually stay across the street and pay it a visit come May during a conference.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
27 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Very nice! We just landed. Time is limited (we fly back on Sunday 3pm.  Client of mine gifted us a flash weekend getaway with plane tickets, hotel and a pair of DisneyWorld passes as well.) and this is our first stop.  Guess what? It has coconuts!!!

I'll try to sneak a few others on Sunday. Mein Frau already says I'm nuts about coconut palms. (She's not too into it) It's muggy and warm as heck. No wonder Orlando a great place for coconuts.

Regards everyone!

20191213_190939.jpg

Welcome to Central Florida! 

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
6 hours ago, ck_in_fla said:

Oops!

South West corner of Orange Avenue and Kaley Street just south of Downtown Orlando.

How old (or tall) are they? Roughly.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ck_in_fla
6 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

How old (or tall) are they? Roughly.

 

They are not trunking (yet).  But, one of them has a large crown.  It looks like they are getting irrigation and other care as they always look good.  Anytime I am down there, I always make it a point to take a look.  :-)

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
On 12/14/2019 at 6:21 AM, ck_in_fla said:

They are not trunking (yet).  But, one of them has a large crown.  It looks like they are getting irrigation and other care as they always look good.  Anytime I am down there, I always make it a point to take a look.  :-)

Here's an update. Taken 30 minutes ago.

They're outside a window tinting business.

20191215-120702.jpg
20191215-120721.jpg
20191215-120736.jpg
20191215-120740.jpg
20191215-120755.jpg
20191215-120802.jpg
 

They have that black plastic sheet in between the soil and the gravel. Smart.

 

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ck_in_fla
3 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Here's an update. Taken 30 minutes ago.

They're outside a window tinting business.

20191215-120702.jpg
20191215-120721.jpg
20191215-120736.jpg
20191215-120740.jpg
20191215-120755.jpg
20191215-120802.jpg
 

They have that black plastic sheet in between the soil and the gravel. Smart.

 

Thanks for the pictures.  I've been meaning to actually stop and do that.  Great job with high quality images.  :-)

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmsOrl

We were at the Orlando Eye tonight and enjoyed the various tropical palm plantings, including this Veitchia.  They have a number of others but this is the only photo I was able to get this visit.

20191215_213405.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pj_orlando_z9b
On 12/13/2019 at 5:36 PM, palmsOrl said:

I'm not sure of the exact address, but there is a large, healthy coconut on Lake Howell Road about a mile south of Howell Branch Road on the east side of the street in a front yard in Winter Park.

There is also a really tall Jamaican tall in front of Charley's on International Drive.

Also, there are two planted side by side at Smash Burger on Colonial Drive in Orlando.

All three palms mentioned are pictured previously in this thread.  I will repost when I get a chance.  There is also one in Altamonte Springs that was posted about by a member here in the past year or so.

There are many seedling to juvenile-sized coconuts in the ground in the area that I can think of.  All in all not many trunking coconuts in the Orlando area thanks to 2010 and a relative lack of availability.  I have seen many small ones planted out in this area that fail to make it past a winter or two due to a double whammy of our winters which average barely survivable for a young coconut and a lack of care.  I believe most would survive to a larger size provided a string of average to mild winters if proper care were given during the establishment period.

The Smashburger pair always set fruit but not sure if they've ever seen maturity. 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pj_orlando_z9b
On 12/13/2019 at 7:40 PM, GottmitAlex said:

Very nice! We just landed. Time is limited (we fly back on Sunday 3pm.  Client of mine gifted us a flash weekend getaway with plane tickets, hotel and a pair of DisneyWorld passes as well.) and this is our first stop.  Guess what? It has coconuts!!!

I'll try to sneak a few others on Sunday. Mein Frau already says I'm nuts about coconut palms. (She's not too into it) It's muggy and warm as heck. No wonder Orlando a great place for coconuts.

Regards everyone!

20191213_190939.jpg

I was out of town and just saw this. Had I been here I would have offered for you to swing by my place. I'm just a few miles from the airport. Here is a pic of mine displaying the holiday spirit. Hope you had a good time. 

PSX_20191201_175857.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
2 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

I was out of town and just saw this. Had I been here I would have offered for you to swing by my place. I'm just a few miles from the airport. Here is a pic of mine displaying the holiday spirit. Hope you had a good time. 

PSX_20191201_175857.jpg

Amazing pic!   Yes we had a marvelous time, thank you.

I was had very short notice of the trip (1 week in advance). We couldn't refuse. 

Here are some pics from inside Disney Hollywood Studios:

They have a whole bunch of mature and tall Trachy's behind the Rock and Roller coaster ride. I did not take a picture of those. I forgot after we came out of the ride. LoL..\

20191214-130320.jpg
20191214-130322.jpg
20191214-130324.jpg
20191214-130504.jpg
20191214-133843.jpg
20191214-151514.jpg
20191214-151518.jpg
20191214-151719.jpg
20191214-151957.jpg
20191214-152003.jpg
20191214-152012.jpg
20191214-152016.jpg
20191214-171730.jpg
20191214-171740.jpg

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ck_in_fla

I was driving west on East Colonial Drive earlier today.  As I passed the intersection of Old Cheney Highway, on the right, I clearly saw a Coconut palm growing in front of a dive shop.  Looks like it is just about to start trunking...

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pj_orlando_z9b
3 hours ago, ck_in_fla said:

I was driving west on East Colonial Drive earlier today.  As I passed the intersection of Old Cheney Highway, on the right, I clearly saw a Coconut palm growing in front of a dive shop.  Looks like it is just about to start trunking...

The Scuba store? The 2019 street view shows queens in front but no coconuts. Was it these palms?

Screenshot_20191216-201731_Maps.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ck_in_fla
38 minutes ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

The Scuba store? The 2019 street view shows queens in front but no coconuts. Was it these palms?

Screenshot_20191216-201731_Maps.jpg

Looks like the place.  There is definitely a Coconut palm there now that is getting large...

I seem to remember seeing it there for a number of months.

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pj_orlando_z9b
48 minutes ago, ck_in_fla said:

Looks like the place.  There is definitely a Coconut palm there now that is getting large...

I seem to remember seeing it there for a number of months.

Nice find. I'll have to drive by and see it soon. 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric in Orlando

I just saw this morning, nice specimen. It is actually next door at the insurance office. It isn't there in the 2016 streetview but is in 2018.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...