IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

sonoranfans

Here's a Sabal domingensis (Dominican Palmetto) at Arch Creek park in North Miami, FL. Quite the fattie next to my wife and baby.

20210221_162951.jpg

20210221_163010.jpg

20210221_152507.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

OK as requested here is an update on my sabal causiarum.  It continues to put on trunk and leaves are now below horizotal.  The palm is approaching 30' overall with ~ 10' trunk(6' smooth) that is swollen to ~ 40" at the base.CausiarumJune2021.thumb.jpg.343bfb16ce2993bf3c7b9723a902bb09.jpg

• Like 15

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

On 6/23/2021 at 7:57 AM, sonoranfans said:

OK as requested here is an update on my sabal causiarum.  It continues to put on trunk and leaves are now below horizotal.  The palm is approaching 30' overall with ~ 10' trunk(6' smooth) that is swollen to ~ 40" at the base.CausiarumJune2021.thumb.jpg.343bfb16ce2993bf3c7b9723a902bb09.jpg

Are those seeds I see?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

Absolute unit!  Causiarum is definitely my favorite sabal

100% agree with this statement =) 

T J 

T J 

Wow! Remarkable palm you have there! What do you think the diameter of the crown is? 

30 minutes ago, D. Morrowii said:

Wow! Remarkable palm you have there! What do you think the diameter of the crown is? 

27' +/- slightly more than my bismarckia(25' +/-).  Causiarum has longer petioles bur smaller leaves than bismarckia.

• Like 1

Tom Blank

1 hour ago, sonoranfans said:

27' +/- slightly more than my bismarckia(25' +/-).  Causiarum has longer petioles bur smaller leaves than bismarckia.

:yay: Oh crap.  For some unknown reason I put 15' crown diameter in my palm spreadsheet.  Maybe I was thinking radius...  The big strap-leaf seedling I planted out front in December 2019 will basically take up the entire front planting bed when it's mature.  At least I have about 5 more years to move other stuff out of its way... :yay:

On 6/23/2021 at 5:57 AM, sonoranfans said:

Quite the unit indeed. Woof, that's a big boy. Looks like a great alternative to Bismarckia should I not have any success with one in NorCal. I will have to assume growth rate might be a bit slower here with this one, I've heard growth rate is slow (this post is proving otherwise). But with our prolonged cool, damp winter, and lack of rain from April to October that will likely affect growth I assume. 

• 2 months later...

Now 3 years from the beginning of this thread(1st pic) my causiarum continues it skyward ascent noticable growth since end of june.  After this summer I can only guess its ~30'.  Not bad for a palm that was planted in 2011 as a strap leaf seedling.CausiarumSept2021).thumb.JPG.320448dbd2007c386b742cd618459473.JPG

• Like 11

Tom Blank

1 hour ago, sonoranfans said:

Now 3 years from the beginning of this thread(1st pic) my causiarum continues it skyward ascent noticable growth since end of june.  After this summer I can only guess its ~30'.  Not bad for a palm that was planted in 2011 as a strap leaf seedling.

That really is quick!  Roughly 2' of clear trunk in November 2018, and 20' tall.  In just under 3 years it looks like it's added around 8' in clear trunk and 10' in height...give or take a bit.  3 feet per year once established is definitely a healthy growth rate.  Even if you look at the strap-to-20' height in 8 years, that is still around 2.5' per year average.  :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

10months(?) after IAN the causiarum shows its remaining damage with
half the crown leaves hanging down in a "beard" though many are still green.  Its flowering again(never stopped) and putting on height.  I am gonna let these leaves fall off as they may.

IMG_9335.thumb.JPG.d2655b999447474682bf72f3b5fd2d96.JPG

• Like 7

Tom Blank

• 2 months later...

Updating post IAN recovery here: it will be another couple years till the palm grows out of the damage from IAN, cat 1 max gusts 97mph in sept 2022.  Here a closeup of split petiole damage that tended to he hidden initially but later was revealed.  The splitting was well into the windward side mid crown shows how these palms allow leaf damage but dont get knocked over sometimes even in 140mph winds (seen in in Puerto Rico).  This palm has just pushed out new leaves at a seemingly increased rate.   I have carried awaysometing gettin hear 20 leaves this year from the damage and new evolution of the crown dropping old leaves. Its getting tall now as if the damage spurred trunk growth.  I am guessing it is approaching 35' overall as the house is ~16' tall

IMG_9594.thumb.JPG.47c3ff1e92bdeb6b2dd5a08ceb84aeba.JPGIMG_9593S.thumb.JPG.25c1fd384e91c09d111d3d49dbf67331.JPG

• Like 8

Tom Blank

2 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

Updating post IAN recovery here: it will be another couple years till the palm grows out of the damage from IAN, cat 1 max gusts 97mph in sept 2022.  Here a closeup of split petiole damage that tended to he hidden initially but later was revealed.  The splitting was well into the windward side mid crown shows how these palms allow leaf damage but dont get knocked over sometimes even in 140mph winds (seen in in Puerto Rico).  This palm has just pushed out new leaves at a seemingly increased rate.   I have carried awaysometing gettin hear 20 leaves this year from the damage and new evolution of the crown dropping old leaves. Its getting tall now as if the damage spurred trunk growth.  I am guessing it is approaching 35' overall as the house is ~16' tall

IMG_9594.thumb.JPG.47c3ff1e92bdeb6b2dd5a08ceb84aeba.JPGIMG_9593S.thumb.JPG.25c1fd384e91c09d111d3d49dbf67331.JPG

A commanding palm that still looks good with the effect of the hurricane.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

I am guessing it is approaching 35' overall as the house is ~16' tall

That thing is an absolute beast. How does the Bizzie compare to it now ? Hopefully your Bizzie survived right? 

T J 

Edited by OC2Texaspalmlvr

T J 

31 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

That thing is an absolute beast. How does the Bizzie compare to it now ? Hopefully your Bizzie survived right? 

T J 

Biz got a lot of leaf damage but is growing back, not quite as fast as SC is my impression.  They are similar in height though the SC may have passed the bizmarckia this past year.  The causiarum crown is notably larger to my eye.    Windward side is to the left of the picture, this palm lost lots of leaves this past year, not so many this summer though.

IMG_9543.thumb.JPG.0d0c3bf0d1971fab53ed1b9ebca778e1.JPG

• Like 3

Tom Blank

2 hours ago, sonoranfans said:
2 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Biz got a lot of leaf damage

Looks pretty darn good to me, both palms are specimens. 

T J 

T J