Sign in to follow this  
Marius

Syagrus species?

Marius

Hi Everyone

I need this Syagrus species identified please.  I tried under the "Cold Hardy" heading, but got no replies.  All inputs will be welcomed.

Thank you

syagrus1.JPG

syagrus2.JPG

syagrus3.jpeg

syagrus4.jpeg

syagrus5.jpeg

• Upvote 2

quaman58

Sooo hard at this size to tell apart. Could be a queen, as it's gone pinnate pretty early & the leaflets are getting a plumose look. A similar looking palm at this age is S. picrophylla. Based on the larger Syagrus I'm growing, I think you can rule out botryophora, amara, psuedococos & kellyana; they just have different "looks" at this stage. Hopefully that narrows it a bit...

gyuseppe

looks a little like my syagrus coronata

edbrown_III

A few South Africans --- Adrian Van Rensen Mark Bradshaw ---Bernard Fischer travelled through Brasil Bolivia Columbia--- in the 1990'----I followed by my self ---- but they collected S. coronata ---S. picophylla---S. macrocarpa  and a few other species ----they also did collecting in Venezuela before  the Biennial there -----  alot of seeds were collected and  distributed to folks in the SA palm society ----some of these trees are mature in SA---- it sure likes like S. picophylla but also S. kellyana or S. lorenzinorum (S> picophylla was the species then but Dr. Noblick studied it further and split this species into 3    S. picophylla, S. kellyana, and S. lorenzinorum -----  all of these are beautiful palms -----seeds and flowers will tell for sure ----- unless you have a way to prepare a then section and look at it under a lited microscope at about 50X.  I hope this helps 

• Upvote 1

Marius
9 hours ago, gyuseppe said:

looks a little like my syagrus coronata

It looks a lot like my S coronata too, except it is much chunkier and not greyish. 

Marius
12 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Sooo hard at this size to tell apart. Could be a queen, as it's gone pinnate pretty early & the leaflets are getting a plumose look. A similar looking palm at this age is S. picrophylla. Based on the larger Syagrus I'm growing, I think you can rule out botryophora, amara, psuedococos & kellyana; they just have different "looks" at this stage. Hopefully that narrows it a bit...

Thanks. I also suspected that it might be picrophylla. 

Marius
7 hours ago, edbrown_III said:

A few South Africans --- Adrian Van Rensen Mark Bradshaw ---Bernard Fischer travelled through Brasil Bolivia Columbia--- in the 1990'----I followed by my self ---- but they collected S. coronata ---S. picophylla---S. macrocarpa  and a few other species ----they also did collecting in Venezuela before  the Biennial there -----  alot of seeds were collected and  distributed to folks in the SA palm society ----some of these trees are mature in SA---- it sure likes like S. picophylla but also S. kellyana or S. lorenzinorum (S> picophylla was the species then but Dr. Noblick studied it further and split this species into 3    S. picophylla, S. kellyana, and S. lorenzinorum -----  all of these are beautiful palms -----seeds and flowers will tell for sure ----- unless you have a way to prepare a then section and look at it under a lited microscope at about 50X.  I hope this helps 

I guess I’ll plant it out into the garden in a sunny sheltered spot and we will see. I hope it’s picrophylla. I have 5 smaller picrophylla from another source. When their leaves divide I can compare them. Thanks for the information. It’s much appreciated. 

Marius
8 minutes ago, Marius said:

It looks a lot like my S coronata too, except it is much chunkier and not greyish. 

Is there a bright green form of coronata or are they all greyish green?