Hferrell87

Turning my dream into a reality

Hferrell87
8 minutes ago, Reeverse said:

Awesome story. My family and I have a nursery in Samsula so if you need any help or contacts we have some great suppliers we work with for all the ground mat and shade cloth etc. 

Will be reaching out to you in the near future, cause I do have a few questions dealing with ground cover and shade cloth. Thanks so much!!

realarch

Sounds like you have the passion and 'where with all' to make the venture a success, emphasis on 'passion'.

Keep on truckin', (only old geezers still say that), and look forward to periodic updates. 

Tim

• Upvote 1

Hferrell87
On 8/25/2018, 9:28:10, palmfriend said:

Your stuff is what we all here are dreaming about!

I am honestly wishing you all the best for your nursery, please keep us posted!

With best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

Thank you!!

NC_Palms

Congrats! I am working on entering the palm nursery business myself. As of right now I sell palms from the roadside from Wilmington to Daytona, but I am planning on moving overseas soon. I love seeing people dedicating their lives to the palms we love. 

Hferrell87

Working on the irrigation now.

CB9091D3-0372-4AA6-ABC3-19586FB5F8DF.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Hferrell87

A few update pictures of the nursery...

01BD063F-4DAC-444D-9830-5C6D2A5F2DC5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hferrell87

They shoot fast

1DE5A4B1-C561-423F-B287-81E59FB2CD45.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hferrell87

I will be clearing a few more acres this winter and prepping for palms (In-ground & potted). Now that I’ve planted majority of the different clumps of bamboo I’ll be selling, my focus is turning directly to getting everything set up for palms. 

• Upvote 1

Alicehunter2000

Nice looking land ....hope you do well

• Upvote 1

NOT A TA

Good luck with the endeavor! Seeing the Bamboo reminds me I always said I'd grow some once I moved from New England to S FL.   Bought the house in '05 and still haven't planted any. Gotta fix that!

• Upvote 1

Hferrell87
2 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@Hferrell87 Do you have an ETA for the Grand Opening?

Not yet... Just finished planting all the bamboo and about to clear 2-3 acres and start the palm portion of the business. Our business will be wholesale for a few years until I build the inventory enough to open the retail side of it. As far as palms go, I will be doing a few acres of field grown and have a shade house to grow the more temperamental palms. If in the area, I can always meet up and show in person! Hope all is well! 

• Upvote 1

kinzyjr
1 minute ago, Hferrell87 said:

Not yet... Just finished planting all the bamboo and about to clear 2-3 acres and start the palm portion of the business. Our business will be wholesale for a few years until I build the inventory enough to open the retail side of it. As far as palms go, I will be doing a few acres of field grown and have a shade house to grow the more temperamental palms. If in the area, I can always meet up and show in person! Hope all is well! 

I'll take you up on the offer sometime... probably closer to spring.  I noticed that your list didn't include roystonea regia.  If you're interested, I'll bring a few up for you to include in your inventory.

Hferrell87
23 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

I'll take you up on the offer sometime... probably closer to spring.  I noticed that your list didn't include roystonea regia.  If you're interested, I'll bring a few up for you to include in your inventory.

Great! I'll won't say no to more palms! I'm already looking forward to spring time and getting a bunch of palms in ground. 

Hferrell87

Having a few more acres cleared to start the palm portion of the nursery. They did a root rake today and will be removing all the trees in a few more days work. Excited to start designing the nursery

90FC8550-965D-4C2A-9599-54722682CD31.jpeg

Edited by Hferrell87
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

redbeard917

Very cool. I like what you've done with the place. My fiancee lives in DeLand near the dog park. I've planted a Livistona saribus, Cham. microspadix, Arenga engleri, Ceratozamia mexicana, and have a saw palmetto and Livistona mariae there waiting in pots, just for fun (her dad owns the property and it's a few mostly empty acres). Seems like you have a well thought out plan. Looking forward to seeing it take shape.

• Like 1

Merlyn2220

Great to see this taking shape!  I know there are quite a few PalmTalkers just South of you, I'm just across the river near Sanford.  Make sure you let us know when you are having an official grand opening!

Also definitely think about some of the semi-unusual but 9a hardy palms, like the Arenga Engleri.  The Allagoptera Arenaria should grow fine in Deland too, but is apparently painfully slow. :)

• Like 1

Missi

Another 80s kid in the hooouuuse!! :lol: Keep the updates coming! I wish my hubby was into gardening, I'd love to do something like this with him!! As for now, I have trouble just keeping up with the one acre that is my private garden. :bummed:  I digress...seriously though! Keep those updates coming!! :yay:

• Like 2

Hferrell87

Got a few more days of clearing left, but getting close!!

86C442C8-2BA6-46D0-968D-F614D497EB61.jpeg

• Like 1

Hferrell87
On 1/17/2019 at 10:03 PM, redbeard917 said:

Very cool. I like what you've done with the place. My fiancee lives in DeLand near the dog park. I've planted a Livistona saribus, Cham. microspadix, Arenga engleri, Ceratozamia mexicana, and have a saw palmetto and Livistona mariae there waiting in pots, just for fun (her dad owns the property and it's a few mostly empty acres). Seems like you have a well thought out plan. Looking forward to seeing it take shape.

Once the land is fully cleared, I’m going to have a better idea of the layout. My dad is a civil engineer and going to sit down with him to design on CAD. I think my pops will be excited to help out in that way!

• Like 1

Hferrell87

All that’s left to do is burn everything that was ripped up (an absurd amount of oaks), disc the ground and lastly level. Time to start drawing up the plans for the nursery. 

E0EDE588-48F3-4F10-A662-DD25D45DE90F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

dmc

To bad you didnt leave some of the oaks and incorporate your nursery around them.

• Like 2

Hferrell87
2 hours ago, dmc said:

To bad you didnt leave some of the oaks and incorporate your nursery around them.

I would love to of left some, but majority were old water oaks that were hollow in the middle and constantly dropping when it gets windy. Less headache now and blank canvas to work with.

dmc
1 hour ago, Hferrell87 said:

I would love to of left some, but majority were old water oaks that were hollow in the middle and constantly dropping when it gets windy. Less headache now and blank canvas to work with.

Gotcha. Good luck with your new adventure. Look forward to seeing the progress.

Palmdude129

I was born and raised in Deland. Small world. I’m from class of 06. I’ve probably ran into you before. Ha! Awesome what your doing with your  land man. We share the same obsession. One day maybe I’ll buy from you. I’m in Melbourne Beach now.

• Like 3

Jupiter1

Looks awesome!! It is really coming along. Congrats! :greenthumb::greenthumb:

• Like 1

politoCABJ

This is awesome, best of luck! I'm sure more than one of us shares your dream ;) 

• Like 1

Umbrae

Awesome thread, keep posting, love to see other projects 

• Like 1

Hferrell87

A buddy brought his drone over and got this picture a few weeks ago. 

2BDBA2F6-E560-4F2A-8CAD-3A6D4F050498.jpeg

• Like 1

kinzyjr

Getting there!

Reeverse

Looking Good!!

Hferrell87

Got everything burned and time to start designing... 

E8D2991D-608C-424A-B133-65EA863A9DBB.jpeg

• Like 6

kinzyjr

A lot of hard work so far... keep at it :) 

Hferrell87

Was at the property this evening and snapped a picture of a few tri-bears opening new fronds. They’ve been very fast growers.

58E97AF3-0CAE-48CF-BF41-81D6C08CEA53.jpeg

• Like 5

Hferrell87

Been traveling a good bit lately and not able to work as much as i’d like. Fortunately, we just purchased a new Kubota and it sure speeds things up. 

0EB12327-281F-46DE-834F-A7B28E22A387.jpeg

• Like 2

Hferrell87

55BEFD23-AB11-4536-A532-24B8A5A0CCA7.jpeg

• Like 3

Hferrell87

C1E0B68C-44F2-418C-A488-CCA8E80B619D.jpeg

• Like 3

HtownPalms

That's awesome! It's always great to see people take the leap of faith to follow their dreams! Good luck. 

• Like 2

palmfriend

Nice update - thank's a lot!

I like the new nursery's location surrounded by all those trees - it should provide some good protection from hurricanes.

Good choice!

best regards from Okinawa

Lars

• Like 1