IHB1979

Harvey - Texas

IHB1979

I can imagine the Texas folks on the forum are starting preparations for the storm. The intensity isn't really dialed in yet, but you sure look to get a lot of rain...measured in feet!

Stay safe!

• Upvote 1

TexasColdHardyPalms

Red rover, red rover bring some rain on over.

Xerarch

Looks like going to be cat 1 and slow moving, meaning tons of rain and flooding. Good luck out out there Texas friends, thoughts and prayers are with you. 

IHB1979

Now saying it's going to be a major hurricane (cat 3 or higher) by landfall. Bad news.

Silas_Sancona

Also watching Harvey closely. 

Saw a post on accuweather drawing comparison between how this system may play out and Allison back in 2001.

Morning run of the total precip. accumulation forecast (per tropical tidbits data) spreads heavier amounts of rain toward New Orleans compared to earler.

Have heard that there have been significant issues with the pumps the city uses to remove runoff from the city after a monster downpour  overwhelmed the system a few weeks ago. 

Hoping everyone in the region is ready and remains safe.

PalmatierMeg

Has it strengthened fast! Last night it was a tropical depression. Hoping here it doesn't become a cat 2 or 3. So many places on the TX Gulf coast are less than 10' elevation. Bad enough it is predicted to drop 18-24" of rain, much worse if cat 2-3 winds and storm surge are involved. Keep eyes on the weather forecasts, TX folks. In 2004 Hurricane Charley was predicted to hit Tampa but made an abrupt right turn off Sanibel. We had only 30 minutes notice we were going to be slammed. My son in Ft. Myers called and said, "Mom, you have a bullseye on your house." Don't let your guard down.

Palmaceae

Praying for you guys, not only will it be a cat 3 or close to cat 4, it will stay in that area for days as it just stalls out for while.

Xenon

Hysteria is hitting Houston...non perishable aisles are empty and bottled water is pretty scarce too, though many of the larger chains are doing a good job with restocking. Gas prices are climbing too. The interstate looks about normal right now. I hear the road from Corpus Christi to San Antonio is backed up quite a bit though. 

Edited by Xenon

Silas_Sancona

Harvey now up to cat. 2 and still on track for further strengthening. Cat 3 landfall seems pretty certain at this point.

Have been following the W.U. blog feed all evening and talk of it reaching cat 4 has been growing among those closely watching incomming recon data. Will be interesting how things look tomorrow, esp. as it moves over a warmer eddy in the Gulf. 

Aside from the initial effects of the storm itself at landfall, i cannot fathom the staggering amounts of rain being forecast, esp if areas of the hill country also see significant accumulation in the comming days, depending on the actual track as it stalls over the region ofcourse. 

topwater

This is starting to suck. 

DoomsDave

Be careful, our Texas friends.

Don't be afraid to run if you have to.

This is late in the year, the Gulf is hot, and heat engine is revving. Agnostics praying for false alarms.

XYZ

I suspect this storm may have caught a LOT of people - particularly emergency management people - by surprise.

topwater

And we didn't even get any decent ground swell out of it :(

• Upvote 1

NatureGirl

Upgraded to Cat 3 (120mph) about an hour ago. :(

cm05

Bordering on Cat 4 already, however the Safire-Simpson (wind scale) rating is largely irrelevant in a storm like this, the impending flooding will greatly overshadow any peak wind speed at landfall, much like Katrina and Sandy.

Some areas will see 6 months to a year's worth of rain over the course of a few days, in addition to whatever storm surge rolls into the coastal areas.

I hope those that chose to stay are able to safely ride it out all the way.

cm05

*Saffir-Simpson, not "Safire", I hate autocorrect...

XYZ

Keep an eye out for "Mitch" like impact on infrastructure if this storm really does park itself on the edge of the NW Gulf for a few days.

Matthew92

Yikes, looks like it is peaking in intensity right at landfall!

59a0b5ee77109_Harveylandfall.jpg.26877d3

Palm Tree Jim

Cat 4 currently.

Be safe in Texas. 

RedRabbit

Cat 4 is no joke... Good luck out there. 

DoomsDave

LET US KNOW HOW YOU ARE

GottmitAlex

Prayers go out.  Keep safe.

Matt N- Dallas

It came on board as a cat 4 and is predicted to do a loop de loop, possibly head back to the Gulf, strengthen then go back inland toward Houston.  Shopping hysteria hit San Antonio yesterday and today.  Long lines at fueling stations and most retailers selling out of water, ice and batteries.  S Central TX has been very dry.  I did a rain dance about a week ago- too bad the 12" to 35" can't be spread out.  I hope all are safe- the inland flooding is predicted to be catastrophic. 

DoomsDave

be safe

not macho

Missi

Checking in on TX Palmies this morning. I know we might not hear from some for a couple days, but praying everyone and their loved ones and palms are making it through Harvey safely. 

cm05

P. roebelenii still standing, Butia(?) toppled. I saw some P. dactyliferas come down last night on a stream I watched. W. robusta crowns took a beating, but I didn't see any come down.

I hope no serious injuries or worse occurred last night and in the near future as this storm stalls out.

topwater

Lots of rain, little wind, and I still have power!  Just in case, I have enough beans and tortillas to survive indefinitely:

IMG_0381.JPG

Edited by topwater
  • Upvote 4

kinzyjr

Hope that all of the Texans here are OK.  Been through a category 4.... no fun whatsoever.

• Upvote 2

Ed in Houston

I am safe.

Epic catastrophic flooding in Houston.

15-30 inches of rain across the city.

Civil defense is advising people to get on their roof, not their attic where they will be trapped and drown.

Forecast is for 40 to 50 inches of rain.

Dozens of tornadoes.

Weather channel says worst flooding in U.S. history.

http://www.newhealthadvisor.com/images/1ht18374/drowning.jpg

http://descy.50megs.com/mankato/pix/uc4.jpeg

Ed in Houston

• Upvote 7

TexasColdHardyPalms

Local news is saying just about all of the Houston area has received 17" already with another 22-25" still to fall. Galveston is up to 25" already.  I sure wish the storm could bring some of that water up here to ease the flooding.  Only 0.09 here thusfar.

• Upvote 4

Ed in Houston

Black Hawk helicopters are rescuing people in Friendswood Texas (south Houston suburb) from their roof tops before the gators move in and eat them.

Ed in Houston

• Upvote 3

DoomsDave

Lordy.

PalmatierMeg

How awful. Glad you are safe, Ed.

DoomsDave

DoomsDave

This lady was in Rockport, TX, with her four year old son.

Slide 9 of 77: Lisa Rehr holds her four-year old son Maximus, after they lost their home to Hurricane Harvey, as they await to be evacuated with their belongings from Rockport, Texas, U.S. August 26, 2017.

DoomsDave

DoomsDave

I thought bricks resisted hurricanes.

Guess not.

Slide 32 of 77: Fallen bricks from a home damaged by Hurricane Harvey sit on the ground Saturday, Aug. 26, 2017, in Missouri City, Texas.  Harvey rolled over the Texas Gulf Coast on Saturday, smashing homes and businesses and lashing the shore with wind and rain so intense that drivers were forced off the road because they could not see in front of them.

topwater

How's your place Ed?  The water topped my bulkhead last night, never seen this happen in 27 years. 

IMG_0185.JPG

• Upvote 2

topwater

All the boathouses are underwater.  If we get any wind, this is going to get worser and worser.  Fortunately, I think CIDPs can take a little salt water. 

IMG_0186.JPG

• Upvote 2