IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

North Central FL Coconuts

oviedotreefarm

I saw the New Smyrna Beach Coconuts today. I didn't get a pic of the Flagler Ave. specimen by the beach but it looks good and is developing a nice trunk. Those tall ones planted a couple years ago at that new beachside mansion also look good. I got a pic from the side where they are doing some work. Theres more on the other side in the back not visible from this side.

• Like 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 2 months later...

Here is my 4 year old 'Green Malayan' coconut growing in Altamonte Springs. It is growing in a spot that stays wet and is growing in between my small clumps of 'Ice Cream' bananas and 'Saba' plantains. It is about 6-7ft overall and has survived 27F a couple years ago. This came from a coconut from Jupiter. Our former Great Dane loved to carry and chew on coconuts so we had a pile for her. One sprouted so stuck it over in the banana patch. It should really gain some size this summer.

DSC_8430~3.JPG

• Like 10

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here's pics of the Ormond By the Sea Cocos taken last Sunday .  These were planted in 2017 , and were quite defoliated in 17-18 Winter , but the warmth since then has done them well .

49802225972_be53a5c15d_c.jpgIMG_1224 by Bill H, on Flickr

49801918931_c4140f7a65_c.jpgIMG_1223 by Bill H, on Flickr

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

On 4/21/2020 at 10:56 AM, Bill H2DB said:

Here's pics of the Ormond By the Sea Cocos taken last Sunday .  These were planted in 2017 , and were quite defoliated in 17-18 Winter , but the warmth since then has done them well .

49802225972_be53a5c15d_c.jpgIMG_1224 by Bill H, on Flickr

49801918931_c4140f7a65_c.jpgIMG_1223 by Bill H, on Flickr

You inspired me to drive by today and take my own photo. They look great!

1C8011C2-7F21-48E4-88D1-727EFEA98356.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, NickJames said:

You inspired me to drive by today and take my own photo. They look great!

1C8011C2-7F21-48E4-88D1-727EFEA98356.jpeg

Check out The Tropical manor hotel on beachside in Daytona Beach shores. There is a huge pre 2010 coconut and there is another on Dahlia ave by the Sunglow pier that survived the 2010 winter. There is hope ha!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Reeverse said:

Check out The Tropical manor hotel on beachside in Daytona Beach shores. There is a huge pre 2010 coconut and there is another on Dahlia ave by the Sunglow pier that survived the 2010 winter. There is hope ha!

Can you send hope to LPGA Blvd? LOL. Perhaps now that my backyard is fairly well insulated, I stand a chance!? The dypsis lutescens can take the hit! Ha ha

CCA5B6A1-8C4E-4A01-966F-322AD6321FA9.jpeg

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Are coconuts starting to become more popular in North Central Florida? I like it! 

They were always popular, but with the recent trend of milder winters, they are now surviving long enough to warrant landscape use in the milder microclimates on the coast and in urban areas.  The 2010 survivors noted on the Remarkable Palms of Tampa Bay and Zone 10 Palms In The Orlando Area Mega Thread probably have helped mainstream efforts to plant them in marginal climates, and the fact that a few survived 2010 in Daytona Beach provide evidence that it can be done long term in the proper microclimates.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

4 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Are coconuts starting to become more popular in North Central Florida? I like it! 

Perhaps with another hope and prayers!? 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

They were always popular, but with the recent trend of milder winters, they are now surviving long enough to warrant landscape use in the milder microclimates on the coast and in urban areas.  The 2010 survivors noted on the Remarkable Palms of Tampa Bay and Zone 10 Palms In The Orlando Area Mega Thread probably have helped mainstream efforts to plant them in marginal climates, and the fact that a few survived 2010 in Daytona Beach provide evidence that it can be done long term in the proper microclimates.

The two I had in pots for several years just went into the ground.  It never got cold enough this past winter here in Winter Springs to even think about bringing them into the garage.  So, I put both of them into the ground this past weekend.

One is your everyday Coconut palm from Home Depot.  The other I bought as a sprouted nut on eBay as an "Atlantic Tall" variety.  So, it will be interesting to watch them as they grow.  While they are small, if we get any marginal winter nights, I may throw blankets over them.  But, I'm past all the elaborate protection schemes I used years ago.  :-)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Winter Springs (Orlando area), Florida

Zone 9b/10a

• 1 month later...

I posted this in another thread but thought it would be appropriate here too. Here is an old photo of downtown Orlando, in 1972. It is looking north up Orange Ave. (now East West Expressway yet). In the bottom left is Lucerne Tower on the south side of Lake Lucerne. It is an appx. 10 story U-shaped building that faces south. In the center of the U is an old Royal Palm. That palm survived the 12/83 and 1/85 freezes. But sometime around 1987 it died (before the 12/89 freeze).  In this photo it appears there is also a tall Coconut on the far left. I don't remember it being there for the '83 freeze, probably killed in the 1977 freeze. But maybe it was. That U shape facing south really gave it a great microclimate. Besides the Royal there were Queen and Pygmy Date Palms that survived with no damage after the '80s freezes. Also mature Schefflera and Crotons. Its recently been remodeled into apartments or something and relandscaped with the same sterile, no imagination landscape seen downtown without taking advantage of a great microclimate.

FB_IMG_1590487156138.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 2 years later...
On 4/23/2017 at 9:05 PM, ck_in_fla said:

Not far from this location, I saw some large Roystonea that were installed in the parking lot at what I think is an RV dealership.  This dealership is visible from the northbound lanes of Interstate 4 just before you cross Lake Monroe and cross from Seminole into Volusia County.

Does anyone know if those are still there?  I'm guessing they are as the sight is almost right on the southern edge of Lake Monroe.

Yes they are still there as of 2023 and flourishing! I live 3 miles from that place and I planted a Royal myself 5 years ago and it’s thriving as well in my yard ! The middle pic was the day I planted it in April 2018 and the top and  and bottom pics were taken last week 

83AE09A5-DF50-4A7D-BFAA-28F07CE5D432.jpeg

9DF6D8AB-7872-4898-AEDC-F40C7CFEB716.png

C7EB06F4-245D-4395-8D64-19D614FDEFD8.jpeg

Edited by Jason-Palm king
Fix
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SeanK said:

"thriving" may be interpreted subjectively.

I think it may just be bc of the christmas freeze, plenty of palms thrive even with little setbacks, clearly with the growth rate and consistentcy of that royal it seems to be thriving

but, again like you said its my subjective opinion

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lucas

38 minutes ago, Little Tex said:

I think it may just be bc of the christmas freeze, plenty of palms thrive even with little setbacks, clearly with the growth rate and consistentcy of that royal it seems to be thriving

but, again like you said its my subjective opinion

Yes the Christmas freeze was the reason for some of my fonds getting burned ! It got down to 24 degrees here back to back nights . Last winter was much worse as all my fonds died but by May my tree completely had new leaves . It has grown massively Since i planted it literally 5 years ago to the day !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Jason-Palm king said:

Yes they are still there as of 2023 and flourishing! I live 3 miles from that place and I planted a Royal myself 5 years ago and it’s thriving as well in my yard ! The middle pic was the day I planted it in April 2018 and the top and  and bottom pics were taken last week 

83AE09A5-DF50-4A7D-BFAA-28F07CE5D432.jpeg

9DF6D8AB-7872-4898-AEDC-F40C7CFEB716.png

C7EB06F4-245D-4395-8D64-19D614FDEFD8.jpeg

They are certainly there and thriving. I just put in 3 myself in Oviedo. Yours is nice though skinny. I’m a zone pusher so have tempered expectations. I have seen more and more lately if you look for them. Some on tuskawilla rd, some by tuskawilla clubhouse, many by UCF entrances. 

2 hours ago, Bkue said:

They are certainly there and thriving. I just put in 3 myself in Oviedo. Yours is nice though skinny. I’m a zone pusher so have tempered expectations. I have seen more and more lately if you look for them. Some on tuskawilla rd, some by tuskawilla clubhouse, many by UCF entrances. 

It’s is skinny I agree here ….but the bottom and base are very thick . Let’s if it grows thicker as it matures . It’s still a very young tree . Not sure why it is skinny 

2 hours ago, Bkue said:

I work in winter springs and there is a house off tuskawilla and lake Drive that has coconut Palms on their yard . Not sure if you seen them . 

3 hours ago, Jason-Palm king said:

It’s is skinny I agree here ….but the bottom and base are very thick . Let’s if it grows thicker as it matures . It’s still a very young tree . Not sure why it is skinny 

Isn't this called pencilling?

18 minutes ago, SeanK said:

Pencilling ? I have to look that up now

48 minutes ago, SeanK said:

No completely different, if it was penciling it would look like this

image.jpeg.86049879f79faeeb223c98b5cec3986c.jpeg

Right now the palm has normal spacing, as the palm continues the grow the new growth in the center levels out the trunk.

• Upvote 1

Lucas

On 5/29/2020 at 7:57 AM, Eric in Orlando said:

I posted this in another thread but thought it would be appropriate here too. Here is an old photo of downtown Orlando, in 1972. It is looking north up Orange Ave. (now East West Expressway yet). In the bottom left is Lucerne Tower on the south side of Lake Lucerne. It is an appx. 10 story U-shaped building that faces south. In the center of the U is an old Royal Palm. That palm survived the 12/83 and 1/85 freezes. But sometime around 1987 it died (before the 12/89 freeze).  In this photo it appears there is also a tall Coconut on the far left. I don't remember it being there for the '83 freeze, probably killed in the 1977 freeze. But maybe it was. That U shape facing south really gave it a great microclimate. Besides the Royal there were Queen and Pygmy Date Palms that survived with no damage after the '80s freezes. Also mature Schefflera and Crotons. Its recently been remodeled into apartments or something and relandscaped with the same sterile, no imagination landscape seen downtown without taking advantage of a great microclimate.

FB_IMG_1590487156138.jpg

Eric not sure if you are aware but there is a huge coconut palm right off I-4 that is on lake Ivanhoe that sits right on the lake there . It is right when you get into downtown Orlando heading west on the right hand side . You can see it from I-4. I use to drive through downtown everyday for work but I haven’t passed it since last summer . Next time I am in that area i will see If it is still there 

I drove past this pair of Cocos in Tangerine, FL just Southeast of Mount Dora.  I saw them last fall and figured they would be dead by spring.  But according to the street view they've been there since at least February 2021!  @kinzyjr these are the two I was telling you about at the CFPACS meeting.  Over the winter they took some frond damage, but probably less than 50%.  These are just on the SE side of a large chain of lakes, so they probably have a nice microclimate: https://www.google.com/maps/@28.7475393,-81.632543,3a,75y,355.32h,88.69t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sLifCtoiWnzgg1ME-uNHp7g!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DLifCtoiWnzgg1ME-uNHp7g%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D146.49477%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

image.png.4ab139017e100405a7794eee5d8e33cf.png

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Merlyn said:

I drove past this pair of Cocos in Tangerine, FL just Southeast of Mount Dora.  I saw them last fall and figured they would be dead by spring.  But according to the street view they've been there since at least February 2021!  @kinzyjr these are the two I was telling you about at the CFPACS meeting.  Over the winter they took some frond damage, but probably less than 50%.  These are just on the SE side of a large chain of lakes, so they probably have a nice microclimate: https://www.google.com/maps/@28.7475393,-81.632543,3a,75y,355.32h,88.69t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sLifCtoiWnzgg1ME-uNHp7g!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DLifCtoiWnzgg1ME-uNHp7g%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D146.49477%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Nice find, @Merlyn.  It will be interesting to see how they progress.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2023 at 3:40 AM, Jason-Palm king said:

I work in winter springs and there is a house off tuskawilla and lake Drive that has coconut Palms on their yard . Not sure if you seen them . 

Are you talking about the dead end house at the end of lake on tuskawilla? If so, he is a certified palm nut. I admire him for going after it but absolutely no coordination. He just cut down a big fat Bismarck and looks like he sprayed roundup all over his queens. I face that house everyday on the way home and used to think more of it . Now it looks like an addict with no foresight for naturalization. 

im at the point I don’t think I can add anymore without looking fake. Since you are in the area, PM me and we can meet up. I’ll show you what I got and would love some input. 

On 4/8/2023 at 1:48 AM, Jason-Palm king said:

Eric not sure if you are aware but there is a huge coconut palm right off I-4 that is on lake Ivanhoe that sits right on the lake there . It is right when you get into downtown Orlando heading west on the right hand side . You can see it from I-4. I use to drive through downtown everyday for work but I haven’t passed it since last summer . Next time I am in that area i will see If it is still there 

Jason, I have been watching that one too! There is also a nice Royal. Both look good currently. Across the lake  one of the houses along Lakeview just east of Edgewater installed some large Royals several years ago too.

• Like 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

On 4/22/2020 at 9:14 PM, NickJames said:

Can you send hope to LPGA Blvd? LOL. Perhaps now that my backyard is fairly well insulated, I stand a chance!? The dypsis lutescens can take the hit! Ha ha

CCA5B6A1-8C4E-4A01-966F-322AD6321FA9.jpeg

The owner of my previous home recently won an award from the City of Daytona Beach for landscaping excellence - LOL.

anyways, I asked her about this palm and it defoliated during the Christmas hard freeze but has survived again and has pushed a lot of new growth. So, it lives to thrive another summer. :) I need to get a photo 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2023 at 2:54 PM, Merlyn said:

image.png.4ab139017e100405a7794eee5d8e33cf.png

They are there in the September 2019 street view as well, just barely over the fence. So they've been there since at least 2018. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 8:35 AM, Zeeth said:

Orange petiole Hawaiian tall:

IMG_20181020_075306.thumb.jpg.4d759d3f1e

What a difference 4 and a half years makes

image.thumb.jpeg.5c81337c603ad0aa55a48f24895f196d.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

On 5/13/2023 at 9:43 PM, Zeeth said:

What a difference 4 and a half years makes

image.thumb.jpeg.5c81337c603ad0aa55a48f24895f196d.jpeg

They look great in terms of growth.  Is the rattyness / burn from Hurricane Ian?  I know it did a number in terms of frond burn on lots of palms up here and you can still see it.    

I think down where you are you reached the 100 MPH threshold.  Here in far southern Pinellas we only gusted max to 94MPH.  I remember that night and seeing the map of the winds as it moved the the 100 MPH line made it out into the middle of southern Tampa bay, just offshore of Pinellas Point.    It amazed me the difference between the southern 1/3 or so of Pinellas vs the rest of the county up north.  Far more damage and downed trees from St Pete south with massive 2-3 story debris piles taking up most public parking areas in parks etc down here.  North of DTSP,  there was some damage, but much lighter and I saw no massive debris piles.  Just the typical smaller piles residents lay out in front of their homes after storms. 

• Upvote 1