Jump to content
Sabal Steve

The best/favorite palm in your yard

Recommended Posts

Sabal Steve

What's your favorite palm?  Which one is the best grower?  Please, only one palm from your yard.  Plus, any details on your growing conditions.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit

My dypsis leptocheilos has done fantastic so far. It has been a very fast grower and hasn't been bothered one bit by the intense Florida sun... We will see how it does in the winter but so far it is a winner!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
atlantisrising

It's difficult to pick a favorite, but everyone notices the Dypsis leptocheilos, so I'll stand with RedRabbit. I'm in Key Largo so no soil here, a couple of inches at best then coral rock. The only way I can grow this species is by jackhammering a 48" dia. by 32" deep hole and filling with topsoil and silica sand about 2 to 1 mix. Then a lot of irrigation. I've done this for a lot of species that are not growable here due to soil but like the climate. I have an amazing Clinostigma samoense and an absolute stud Calyptronoma occidentalis. Here's a picture of one D. lepto.IMG_20161030_175150_623.thumb.jpg.e37ab9

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sabal Steve
39 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

My dypsis leptocheilos has done fantastic so far. It has been a very fast grower and hasn't been bothered one bit by the intense Florida sun... We will see how it does in the winter but so far it is a winner!

I like these too.  Could you post a pic when you have a free moment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zeeth

Favorite and best grower? Probably Beccariophoenix alfredii. Growing conditions are humid subtropical 10a with occasional 9b winters (28˚ in 2010). Rainfall is 50" per year, mostly falling in summer. Soil is mostly sand. Exposure is mostly full sun. Palm is 6 years old from seed. Newest fronds are 11' tall, and the palm is 10" wide at the base.

IMG_6979.thumb.jpg.7ec4eb2ea19a113a9e3fb

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal

Outside of the Queens, probably go with my JxS:

14232999_10153692051052234_5302073994543

  • Upvote 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zeeth
3 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Outside of the Queens, probably go with my JxS:

14232999_10153692051052234_5302073994543

That thing is growing fast!

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal
19 minutes ago, Zeeth said:

That thing is growing fast!

Yeah, it's motoring, and I love that it grows well in cool weather.  Still really pushing hard now, though we're still in the mid-70s so I guess it should be.  I also have an alfredii doing really well that might be in my top 5.  Love those palms as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave

JUST ONE? :rant:

Hell hath no fury . ..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stevetoad

I love my Sabal causiarum or whatever it is. Not the rarest thing I have but I can't help but smile when I look at it. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BPK Palm Addict
3 hours ago, atlantisrising said:

It's difficult to pick a favorite, but everyone notices the Dypsis leptocheilos, so I'll stand with RedRabbit. I'm in Key Largo so no soil here, a couple of inches at best then coral rock. The only way I can grow this species is by jackhammering a 48" dia. by 32" deep hole and filling with topsoil and silica sand about 2 to 1 mix. Then a lot of irrigation. I've done this for a lot of species that are not growable here due to soil but like the climate. I have an amazing Clinostigma samoense and an absolute stud Calyptronoma occidentalis. Here's a picture of one D. lepto.IMG_20161030_175150_623.thumb.jpg.e37ab9

That is a sharp looking Palm there Stephen.  I would love to see that in person sometime.  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmfriend

I am growing different species but I am often looking a moment longer than usual when I check my wonderful

Dypsis pembanas. They are growing pretty fast, do not show damage because of a typhoon (at least until now),

don`t need much care, the developing trunk sits solidly in the ground and they are just looking nice.

Here is one - I am sorry, two of them...

001x.thumb.jpg.1b3bde261d17232aa1f4944e7

best regards

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steve99

A Dypsis Lastelliana I planted back in Dec 1997 is one of my favorites.  It's been a slow but a steady grower over the years.     It handles very hot and dry conditions as well as the odd winter frost effortlessly.

 

 

 

2ujqaah.jpg

 

  • Upvote 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
atlantisrising
9 hours ago, BPK Palm Addict said:

That is a sharp looking Palm there Stephen.  I would love to see that in person sometime.  

Be happy to show you my collection. I have at least 60 species in the ground and 30 more in pots. Bit of OCD I'm afraid. Just PM me a few days ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmatierMeg

Most noticeable and very fast grower: Cocos nucifera Dwarf Red Spicata

58209d18a74d4_Cocosnuciferadwarfredspica58209d24a1960_Cocosnuciferadwarfredspica

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5150cycad

Beccariophoenix Alfredii

I will eventually need to move this palm. It is a very steady grower and pushes about 3-4 leaves a year. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmTreeDude

My Butias! And all the others! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kim

For today, I pick Clinostigma samoense.  I love looking up at those perfect fronds, and the white coloration and leaf-scar pattern on the trunk is so gorgeous.

DSC_0166.thumb.jpg.cf5565042d0bb55e1ac5a

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammer

Which one of your kids do you love the most?

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kris
6 hours ago, Hammer said:

Which one of your kids do you love the most?

Well said.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmfriend
7 hours ago, Kim said:

For today, I pick Clinostigma samoense.  I love looking up at those perfect fronds, and the white coloration and leaf-scar pattern on the trunk is so gorgeous.

It is definitely a winner - I am really looking forward to my young ones. I hope they will do well over here in a long term while...

...looking good ;)

best regards

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palm Tree Jim

Can't do it.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kim

Oh, just put up a pretty palm picture and call it your favorite for the minute. :wub:  Palm lovers are allowed to be fickle with their plants.  As in, "Oooooo I love that new red Chambeyronia frond," then the next day, "Aaaaaaah, isn't that the most stunning Copernicia you've ever seen?" and five minutes later, "I'm in love with the Carpoxylon, no doubt about it!"  We don't care, we just want to see pretty palm pictures! :lol:

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
topwater
1 hour ago, Kim said:

Oh, just put up a pretty palm picture and call it your favorite for the minute. :wub:  Palm lovers are allowed to be fickle with their plants.  As in, "Oooooo I love that new red Chambeyronia frond," then the next day, "Aaaaaaah, isn't that the most stunning Copernicia you've ever seen?" and five minutes later, "I'm in love with the Carpoxylon, no doubt about it!"  We don't care, we just want to see pretty palm pictures! :lol:

You think like I do!  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Loxahatchee Adam

My favorite here is Raphia farinifera.  I bought a pot with 10 or so sprouted seedlings from MB Palms at a sale in 2014.  Planted this one on a canal edge and fertilize it regularly. It's starting to get a fat trunk and the tip of the top frond is a solid 11 ft (3.3 m). The fronds are long and pretty and the deep orange on the rachis is nice too :)

 

IMG_1122.thumb.JPG.48f2c3e647929cff850ab

 

IMG_1124.thumb.PNG.5e2dea27c2803e7cfa14c

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darold Petty

The late Pauleen Sullivan said that her favorite was "the one I'm looking at now" ! :)

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enigma99

Tough one! I am going to go with this palm :)

IMG_0199.jpg

Edited by enigma99
  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sur4z

...since my P. pacifica croaked a few years back, and my Joey and my Itaya amicorum are still small, I going nominate my Areca catechu dwarf.

IMG_3668.JPG.68cdd66b3a024c27849e57ae180

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave

Teddy bear is certainly a fave

IMG_1665.thumb.JPG.eb1b88637e9cd0e02a598IMG_1666.thumb.JPG.77439ed64c5c2fdec4cbfIMG_1669.thumb.JPG.9d7a6110a9bd1f4b03457

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tracy

I will have to run with Kim and the quote from the late Pauleen Sullivan; my favorite is always changing, and likely the one I'm looking at.  So I will follow up with the other portion of the initial question regarding what is doing well in my garden.  It is also the palm that non-palm people who visit are most likely to ask about.  It is the Dypsis prestoniana.  20161024-104A4473.thumb.jpg.d5defa7fc554

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RR soFLA

Recently moved into our new home in SW Florida and this handsome Golden Malayan coco is nicely established in the back yard. So far this is my current favorite. 

backyard palm 1.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmfriend
5 minutes ago, RR soFLA said:

Recently moved into our new home in SW Florida and this handsome Golden Malayan coco is nicely established in the back yard. So far this is my current favorite. 

backyard palm 1.jpg

Wow! That looks like a painting!

Great choice.

best regards

2 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

The late Pauleen Sullivan said that her favorite was "the one I'm looking at now" ! :)

Oh, there is a lot of truth in it...

best regards

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave

If you can't look

At the one you love

Love the one you're looking at . . . .

doo doo doo doo doo doo doo-doo! doo-doo-doo!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ricigliano
On Monday, November 07, 2016 2:49:38, palmfriend said:

I am growing different species but I am often looking a moment longer than usual when I check my wonderful

Dypsis pembanas. They are growing pretty fast, do not show damage because of a typhoon (at least until now),

don`t need much care, the developing trunk sits solidly in the ground and they are just looking nice.

Here is one - I am sorry, two of them...

001x.thumb.jpg.1b3bde261d17232aa1f4944e7

best regards

 

 

Your palms in your photo are Archontophoenix not Dypsis pembana

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmfriend
30 minutes ago, Ricigliano said:

Your palms in your photo are Archontophoenix not Dypsis pembana

Oh, thank you for clarifying! I have to confess that I have mixed up seeds a while ago when

I ordered a lot while starting with the palm growing hobby. 

I tried very hard to recall which was what after getting aware of my mistake but it was not possible...

The big question is now, what are those other palms that I until now considered as my Archontophoenix...?:unsure:

However, thank you very much again - and to avoid hijacking this topic, my honest apologies and I would like

to correct my statement herewith:

My Archontophoenix are at the moment the best and fastest growing palms in my yard - they are beautiful

and fast growing and therefore seems to like our climate/local conditions very much.

best regards

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jubaea

Here is my Jubaea.  It is never bothered by the heat or cold and and always looks good.

Jubaea11916.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SHEP

I love my R Multifida. It is about five years old Cecile  

image.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darold Petty

Cecile, it's great that you are now posting photos !!  :greenthumb::greenthumb: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SHEP

Glenn Harris showed me a few weeks ago at the meeting at Ben's house.  You can't believe how proud I am of this...finally, being able to contribute.  It is so simple on my IPhone, sign in, post, add picture, send.  It's about time... Even John couldn't figure it out, when he read the directions on PalmTalk.  Cecile

My second favorite palm is the Brahea Mooreii at the left of the picture, its not a great shot of it, but, its on my avatar.  Found this palm in Portland, Oregon at Cistus Nursery when I was at a Rock Garden meeting.  I met a woman during dinner who lived in New York, and she said, Shawn (owner of Cistus) sent her palms all the time.  I was afraid to trust them with shipping, so didn't buy the three others.  I met Glenn a few years later, and discovered he had bought the rest.  Just a few weeks before this meeting I had met Dick Douglas for the first time, and visited his garden, hoping he had a B. Mooreii to see in person, and also took home some my first palms.  His comment was, that the last time he heard they were available was ten years before, and he missed the boat and never got one. Small palm world.

Just a note, if anyone is interested, the plastic, refrigerator drawer on the wall is filled with moist, medium grade, river sand.  The Czech rock gardeners do their cuttings Spring and Fall, in some facsimile type boxes, cover, and keep in filtered light if done over Summer.  I have found this method almost foolproof.  I dip in Clonex rooting gel first.  I do all my cuttings this way, except for succulents. Cecile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brett in Mission Viejo

I am liking the B. Alfredii at the moment;

Alfredii.thumb.jpg.d14ed2b7b368beaa42023

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...