PalmTreeDude

Best Draing Soil For Palms?

PalmTreeDude

Does anyone know of a good draining soil for all palms? Please tell me the name of it, if you can! Thank you!

Edited by PalmTreeDude

Pal Meir

There is NO soil that is good for ALL palms.

PalmTreeDude
28 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

There is NO soil that is good for ALL palms.

Like a general soil that is good for at least most palms, like a huge mixture?

Brad Mondel

I mix 75% garden soil (not top soil) and 25% perlite. Potting mix has too much peat moss which holds too much moisture. For desert palms I do 50% garden soil and 50% perlite and a top dress of pea pebbles. 

kurt decker

If you are getting soil made for you, here is a great mix. It's called Atlas 7000. 40% canadian peat, 30% DOT grade silica sand, 20% cypress sawdust, and 10% perlite. Amended with dolomite to ph 6.5, with added mag sulphate and TSP. Very heavy, but very porous, doesn't break down quickly. Especially useful with big rooted carribean stuff.

kirkhutch

I would watch out for some soil as that sold in the box stores can have high concentrations of salts. Apparently the manufacturer will dampen the soil while producing it (not sure why). If they are using treated water this can result in salt accumulation. I have a neighbor that was having issues growing his tomatoes this year so I tested his soil (Kellogg brand) with a salanity meter. The salts were super high. He shifted to another brand and it resolved the issue. I've since tested others and have found high salt concentrations in some. I now purchase a locally made mix by the yard and it works well and has low salt content. Just another consideration. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      It appears that something ate the majority of my Serenoa repens seedling that I planted over the summer. Are there any animals that seem to particularly like eating palms, or is it likely that this was just a taste test? 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I love Archontophoenix palms, and I am sure many of you do too. I couldn't find an Archontophoenix specific thread, so I thought I'd make one in hopes of people showing off their Archontophoenix palms, any species! Here is my Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, which has been thriving for me indoors and outdoors (when its warm and sunny enough, like today). It's small, but is growing quickly. I am surprised at how much it seems to not care about being in cooler conditions. 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      So I remeber hearing someone say in a video that Immokalee does not have a good climate for more tender palms, I looked around on Google Maps on Streetview and saw these coconuts. Some look fine while others look horrible. I am kind of confused about this towns climate. Does it get a freeze every few years from being so far inland? What type of stuff would be the limit of what would survive there long term? 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I have this artificial light that I bought for pepper plants (which basically didn't respond to it at all), but my Archontophoenix cunninghamiana seedling seems to like it. It has been growing quickly with it, for being indoors. It gives off a small amount of heat too, not much, maybe one or two degrees F, but I believe it helps a bit. I marked the spear with a Sharpe a couple days ago and it has been growing steadily. 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      This is a really nice looking league on my Ravenea rivularis. This palm won't survive the winter here, but I stuck it in the ground (in shade) because it was in one of those pots that have like twenty in them from Lowes and they were all dying.