IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fresh Rain to Plant Today! Another Bizzy

Briank

With All that Fresh Rain yesterday, a Head cold could not have stopped me today from Diggin some holes I have been waiting to dig! I have 2 BIsmarkias I needed to put in ground and a Fresh Kentiopsis O. To put in the ground!! Courtesy of DoomsDave on the Kentiopsis! Its now in the ground! Found a half day sun spot for it!

With all this El Nino we are suppose to get, and this being my first Fall/Winter of planting palms, I have been wondering if getting all my Palms into the ground as soon as possible, or wondering if I should wait till after ? So  decided Ill put larger potted ones into the ground, and maybe wait on the smaller 1-5ga for spring!

In the past week, I have put 2 5ga Livistona Netida's into the ground, 2 Dypsis Pembana,  2-5ga Livistona's,  and a 5GA and 15GA Bismarkia's.. Figuring the water were going to get will help them the first season into ground. 

Still learning and having fun.

IMG_0399.JPG

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG

• Upvote 1

With All that Fresh Rain yesterday, a Head cold could not have stopped me today from Diggin some holes I have been waiting to dig! I have 2 BIsmarkias I needed to put in ground and a Fresh Kentiopsis O. To put in the ground!! Courtesy of DoomsDave on the Kentiopsis! Its now in the ground! Found a half day sun spot for it!

With all this El Nino we are suppose to get, and this being my first Fall/Winter of planting palms, I have been wondering if getting all my Palms into the ground as soon as possible, or wondering if I should wait till after ? So  decided Ill put larger potted ones into the ground, and maybe wait on the smaller 1-5ga for spring!

In the past week, I have put 2 5ga Livistona Netida's into the ground, 2 Dypsis Pembana,  2-5ga Livistona's,  and a 5GA and 15GA Bismarkia's.. Figuring the water were going to get will help them the first season into ground. 

Still learning and having fun.

IMG_0399.JPG

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG

That Bizzie is going to knock down that fence......and right quick, too!

• Upvote 1

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

I wouldn't mind if It did! more room than you think but from all the bizzies I've seen the Frawns don't get that big until the height will be enough to were the will grow more vertical than horizontal.  Or it will be trunked by then and I can trim it vertical.   Measured 3' away.  

Brian,

I agree that it’s planted too close to the fence. Here is mine and it was planted nine feet off the wall of my house, and if that frond wasn’t leaning on the Bird of paradise it would be touching the wall. Also it really hasn’t even developed a trunk yet.

BizNobe 002.jpg

BizNobe 003.jpg

pic 007.jpg

• Upvote 2

I dont see anything wrong with planting very close to walls or fences. As long as you take account for how wide the trunk will ultimately be. Its not like they are Trees...

IMG_20150925_11339.thumb.jpg.62d33c08a25I always have fronds touching my house walls and window. No big deal. If it was a big deal I would just cut them off.

If the trunk ended up wider than 4 feet and it leaned on my house's roof, then I would consider that a big deal. Bizzie would get the chop:evil:

• Upvote 2

well.....only time will tell I guess. ^_^

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

way too close to fence unless you want to have to kill it when its big

I have grown one from 4 foot to 27 foot in six years - I know of what i speak

Edited by trioderob

You can control the width of these and were I planted it there is no height issues.  The fence is only 6' high, by the time it gets to that height, I can trim the lower frowns.   And since i am in clay, I did not dig a super deep hole so that it will get super tall.  From all the people I have talked to that have grown many of these, they all said the ones that grew the biggest had the deepest holes.  Their smaller ones did not have super deep holes dug.  It's like limiting growth by putting it in a pot.  I might move it up a little bit as my planter is only 5' wide from fence.  I am just experimenting as I wanted one right there as its my center piece from walking outside back door.   I have even seen people build make shift circular structures around smaller bizzies so the Frawns grow more vertical.    It's all in Fun and we will see.    Since these bizzies have sensitive roots have to be careful in moving them once planted.   I have another in front yard that has unlimited circular space.   And the other I have in 15ga pot is a back up, I have a great spot for it front of house were Daniel planted his, but I have a triple Kentia that I think I am going to have to pull next year.  All my Kentias are Struggling! I bought 5 24" box Kentias as my first palm purchase and they are just struggling. Will keep everyone posted.  

way too close to fence unless you want to have to kill it when its big

I have grown one from 4 foot to 27 foot in six years - I know of what i speak

curious how height is an issue when the fence is only 6' and there is no obstruction vertically.  Now if you said it grew 27' horizontally I would understand your point.  But that's not going to happen.   If you went and measured your first 6' and did a circular circumference I would be curious what it is.  And the Frawns grow in about a minimum of 45 degree angle and at minimum.  

Sorry my phone keeps changing it and it's just annoying to fix it every time it's auto corrects it wrongly lol 

I can't stand autocorrect...changing my stuff all the time!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

See. No biggie :greenthumb:

IMG_20150926_50354.thumb.jpg.3edc15250f5

But that's a green one, completely different! :)

John Case

Brentwood CA

:hmm:

Huh?

Making a joke that green Bizzies are somehow less destructive than blue ones.....guess it wasn't all that funny....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Huh?

Making a joke that green Bizzies are somehow less destructive than blue ones.....guess it wasn't all that funny....

I have never seen a green one in California.  Are they mostly Florida Seed? Curious. 

Huh?

oh.:huh:

I wasn't sure if it was a joke...

Its a funny one :floor:

Here's a green Bizzie for you Brian

IMG_20150608_28212.thumb.jpg.08e1c969a9dIMG_20150614_36407.thumb.jpg.8a0d88f5d67I thought I saw a post here on Palmtalk from JoePalma selling some green bizzies.

Imo the green ones aren't as impressive as the blue silvery ones...

IMG_20150927_7295.thumb.jpg.b96ec9a3e76aNot the best picture of them but these are some of the best examples of perfectly growing bizzies around here. The one in the far right is extra blue. They are very robust and demand all the attention as you drive by.