Sign in to follow this  
Matthew92

Sabal Umbraculifera?

Matthew92

This is pretty much the only sabal I have not seen pictures of or described in detail anywhere. For such a seemingly obscure species, I was surprised to see it on the list of palms for North Florida by UF with the following information. Sounds like it may be a nice one.

"Stout, heavy trunk with very large leaves. Thrives on sandy soil." 60 feet tall. 7b-11 taking down to 7 degrees: from Dominican Republic

Anyone have experience with this one? pictures?

• Upvote 1

Matthew92

I'm also reading a few things that say it could by a synonym for "Sabal blackburnia" but still seems somewhat inconclusive.

Matthew92

It's a synonym of Sabal domingensis which is also sometimes called blackburniana. Read the full story here: http://www.floridata.com/Plants/Arecacea/Sabal domingensis/241

Ah, okay. Although, have any idea why they listed it separate from domingensis on the above linked UF page?

Briank

You might want to reach out to Sabal Steve a member of Palm Talk and has a hefty knowledge of Sabals.  I recently picked up some Sabals from him and went to him when I picked up a controversial Sabal that is coined Miamiensis.   Maybe he will see this thread and chime in. Best of luck 

Matthew92

Just found this https://www.flickr.com/photos/ingag/8466438060/in/photostream/

Translation of caption of above photo:

Sabal umbraculifera (Jacq.) Mart.
Botanical Garden Arboretum

Order: Arecales
Family: Arecaceae
Genre: Sabal
:: Sabal species umbraculifera Mart.

Common name: Sabal of Santo Domingo.
Originally from the Dominican Republic.

Etymology of the Latin species umbraculiferus-a-um umbrella-shaped open by the shape of the cup.
Palmera straight and thick, smooth trunk, greyish, about 15 m. high and up to 70 cm. diameter. Costapalmate leaves 1.5 m. in diameter, to the half divided into segments, grayish green. Petiole 1.5 m. Inflorescence length shorter than the leaves.
rounded fruits of 4-6 mm. in diameter and shiny brown at maturity.

monoica plant

GoatLockerGuns

That UF page is a great link though; lots of good info.  It also says Sabal umbraculifera is a Zone 7b palm; say what?  I'll be interested to hear what the experts say on the subject (although, I thought the experts were at UF).

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      By LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      So I’ve been growing some palmetto seedlings for a few years now and they’re starting to get more palmate fronds. I bought a big thing of Sabal Palmetto seeds a few years ago and they germinated and gave me these. I believe I also bought Sabal minor seeds to scatter around in the woods. My memory is the worst and I’m not sure if I actually germinated a Sabal minor or not. I was looking at some of the seedlings and I was struck by how blue some of them were. Do I have some Sabal minors mixed in or do Palmettos also have this bluish hue when they’re young. Thanks and I apologize for my forgetfulness! 

• GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      So is my Trachy a boy? Pictures aren’t that great but flowers are very yellow...still hoping to see a hermaphroditic flower spike since my other Trachy is very young, has years to go till it flowers and I have no idea if it’s male or female...I know that would be a very rare occurrence but that would be interesting...
    • GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Trachy pushing around 12-flower spikes this spring...I have no other Trachy’s of flower age yet so this is the only one in the immediate area...does the process of flowering sap energy from the palm that would otherwise be used to push fronds and height? Also, in the off-chance my Trachy is both sexes, should I just let the flower spikes form and see what happens? Last year was the first time it flowered but I hacked them off thinking they were a waste of time and energy for the poor, lonely Trachy, but wondering now what the chances are of it flowering with both parents in mind...most of the spike’s pods are beginning to burst out in flower while several others are just emerging about 2+ weeks behind the others...is that an indication of anything...suggestions or info.?
    • Collectorpalms
      By Collectorpalms
      I have seeds I lost the label for and not sure if there is any difference in the three species seeds. I am going to grow them regardless. 

They were from Montgomery Botanical Garden seed auction. I got seeds from Sabal Maritima, domingensis, and Causarium. 

The seeds are rather small and dark, no bigger than a Sabal Palmettos.
      Maybe if I can’t identify them as seeds, Someone will know if they look different as seedlings, so I know before they are decades old! 

• teddytn
      By teddytn
      I started these three rostratas from seed in 2014, at that point I was in the hunt for any cool looking plants that would survive in Tennessee. I had no idea if they would survive long term, but so far they have shown no winter damage over the years. Thought I would share some pics! The first pic is in 2015 when I planted them and the most recent is from last week.