Sign in to follow this  
_Keith

Hi Everyone

_Keith

Let's learn something new, like this website.  

rick

giphy.gif

Edited by rick
  • Upvote 1

Ben in Norcal

That about sums it up. Dear Lord!

SanDimas

Rick

:mrlooney:LOL!:mrlooney:

I concur wholeheartedly!

My first post in the new format.

Edited by SanDimas
  • Upvote 1

SanDimas

giphy.gif

Rick

:mrlooney:LOL!:mrlooney:

I concur wholeheartedly!

My first post in the new format.

DoomsDave

computer-transformer.gif

Love the computer attacking the Donald! :floor:

Peed myself laughing. (Sorry girls.)

• Upvote 3

DoomsDave

All jokes aside, I salute Dean for his efforts. I had to redo a teensy weensy website and I felt like a Bushman in a Cadillac dealer's.

(Watch the loincloth on the shift console! :bemused:)

So far, so good.

Chat worked well yesterday evening.

Kim

I do like the new format for posting.  It is easy to read and the emoticons are easier to access, plus my favorite is back after a long absence.  :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:  But you can only add one at a time -- have to click on the link to them to add each one.  Love the "drag files" option, too.

Our status updates are less fun now.  I replied to a status update, but the only way it can be read is by visiting a person's profile page.  It was more fun when they could be read on the main page.  But change happens.

Edit:  Ah!  Click on the arrow next to "More" at the top right, just below the Search window, and you can check all status updates with replies, all on one page.  Cool.

Edited by Kim

BS Man about Palms

Well, looks like I made it in.. But the dead horse emoticon is gone... hahah

doranakandawatta

I am so happy I am still there.

September 11 is now having a new meaning: new Palmtalk Forum!  :)

It seems we have to wait until all works well but I too salutes and thanks Dean for all efforts

PALM MOD

I know everyone gets attached to their favorite emoticons. When I get some time, I will try and locate them and make them accessible again. I think they all should still be there on the server - I just have to find how to link to them.

George Sparkman

Regarding Calendar :

Is it by design that guests can't see events on the calendar but can see birthdays with names ?

PALM MOD

Regarding Calendar :

Is it by design that guests can't see events on the calendar but can see birthdays with names ?

Don't know George. But I think you are suggesting that Guests should be able to see Calendar events - and I agree. I'll see if there isn't a permission that governs that privilege. Thanks for noticing.

rick

All jokes aside, I salute Dean for his efforts. I had to redo a teensy weensy website and I felt like a Bushman in a Cadillac dealer's.

So far, so good.

I agree, thanks for everything you do Dean. I can't even imagine how much work this upgrade has taken. I will say that the mobile version of the site is a lot easier to navigate and read. The desktop version will just take some getting used to.

_Keith

It is a change, but let's give it time.   We have used the old software for many years.   As I said in the original post, let's learn.

PALM MOD

Regarding Calendar :

Don't know George. But I think you are suggesting that Guests should be able to see Calendar events - and I agree. I'll see if there isn't a permission that governs that privilege. Thanks for noticing.

Guest should be able to view events now.

PALM MOD

So far, so good.

I agree, thanks for everything you do Dean. I can't even imagine how much work this upgrade has taken. I will say that the mobile version of the site is a lot easier to navigate and read. The desktop version will just take some getting used to.

Thanks Rick (and Dave & Philippe) - and thanks for the report on the mobile version - great news.

foxtail

Excellent, welcome to the future!!!! 

Pando

Regarding Calendar :

Thanks Dean, the new site works well. However, IMHO, for privacy's sake, guests shouldn't be able to view online users, what users are doing, and user profiles (especially birthdays).

PALM MOD

Regarding Calendar :

Thanks Dean, the new site works well. However, IMHO, for privacy's sake, guests shouldn't be able to view online users, what users are doing, and user profiles (especially birthdays).

I agree Ando - Guest should not be able to view profiles, but I can't seem to find yet how to stop them. The old site did not allow it. The other things I will discuss with the PT Committee.

Edit: Ah - found it - Guests can no longer view profiles.

Edited by PALM MOD

BS Man about Palms

Was thinking driving around today how much I appreciate your work Dean... Thanks!

George Sparkman

Regarding Calendar :

Thanks Dean !

Dr. George

Used to have a function that allowed reviewing a post/reply before posting it. Don't see that option now. Am I missing something or has this feature been deleted? - gmp

PALM MOD

Used to have a function that allowed reviewing a post/reply before posting it. Don't see that option now. Am I missing something or has this feature been deleted? - gmp

There is lot of commotion about the removal of the Preview Button. The developers have their reasoning, but a lot of webmasters are explaining/complaining that many users are upset. The developer's reasoning is as follows, in this answer to a complainer.

"Should not need a post preview really as the editor is or should be fully WYSIWYG so the 'post window' should look identical to the submitted post.

It was there for a purpose – to preview styling and embedding, which are now already present while you create the post.  It makes no sense to see everything already and then hit a button to see the same thing once more before you publish it. 

As long as you don’t want to manually write bb codes all the time, what do you really miss about the preview?"

Dr. George

There is lot of commotion about the removal of the Preview Button. The developers have their reasoning, but a lot of webmasters are explaining/complaining that many users are upset. The developer's reasoning is as follows, in this answer to a complainer.

"Should not need a post preview really as the editor is or should be fully WYSIWYG so the 'post window' should look identical to the submitted post.

It was there for a purpose – to preview styling and embedding, which are now already present while you create the post.  It makes no sense to see everything already and then hit a button to see the same thing once more before you publish it. 

As long as you don’t want to manually write bb codes all the time, what do you really miss about the preview?"

It was a very useful tool to review and edit the post as it actually would appear before sending the post. I frequently spotted typos and formatting snafus by using the preview option. Today I generated a reply with pics for which I generated captions in the body of the post.  Looked okay in the window when I generated it, but the captions did not line up with the images when it was posted so I had to edit after it was posted.

So, in my view, it does make sense to see everything already then hit a button (which was an option, not a required step) to see the same thing once more before it is published.

gmp

PALM MOD

It was a very useful tool to review and edit the post as it actually would appear before sending the post. I frequently spotted typos and formatting snafus by using the preview option. Today I generated a reply with pics for which I generated captions in the body of the post.  Looked okay in the window when I generated it, but the captions did not line up with the images when it was posted so I had to edit after it was posted.

So, in my view, it does make sense to see everything already then hit a button (which was an option, not a required step) to see the same thing once more before it is published.

gmp

Agreed George - There is enough hubbub about it that it would not surprise me to see it come back in a later version.

doranakandawatta

It was a very useful tool to review and edit the post as it actually would appear before sending the post.

Agree, being a foreigner not used to english language, I used that tool which helped me to check my writing and how pictures looked.
Now I have to be much more careful or use the "edit" tool after posting.
Anyway, Palmtalk upgrading has been a great work,
Many thanks, I am sure we'll be used to the nouveauté.

BUT:

I lost all my friends! :crying:

Edited by doranakandawatta

Pando

I agree Ando - Guest should not be able to view profiles, but I can't seem to find yet how to stop them. The old site did not allow it. The other things I will discuss with the PT Committee.

Edit: Ah - found it - Guests can no longer view profiles.

Great, thanks Dean!

doranakandawatta

BUT:

Sorry Phillipe,

That was all explained in this announcement - please read to understand.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/46914-update-on-palmtalk-upgrade-coming-soon/

YES SIR, it seems I got it: friends became followers .

As soon as one get used to the new system, one enjoy the Forum as much as earlier. 

For example, is the way to reach the last page of content a new function on the forum ?
I like reading either my first posts in 2012 or the oldest posts from 2006. Thanks  :)

PALM MOD

BUT:

Sorry Phillipe,

That was all explained in this announcement - please read to understand.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/46914-update-on-palmtalk-upgrade-coming-soon/

YES SIR, it seems I got it: friends became followers .

As soon as one get used to the new system, one enjoy the Forum as much as earlier. 

For example, is the way to reach the last page of content a new function on the forum ?
I like reading either my first posts in 2012 or the oldest posts from 2006. Thanks  :)

No - there was always the option to click a certain link and be taken to the last post in a particular topic - at least from "New Content" where I always read things from.

doranakandawatta

Sorry Dean, one more question:

If A follows B, it's shown on B's profile, but it doesn't mean B follows A, as earlier A & B were friends on one click. Is it right?

Rafael

Are we still able to check the last 5 created topics?

PALM MOD

Are we still able to check the last 5 created topics?

Don't know - can't find it. I've opened a support ticket.

PALM MOD

Sorry Dean, one more question:

If A follows B, it's shown on B's profile, but it doesn't mean B follows A, as earlier A & B were friends on one click. Is it right?

I believe so - something like just because you follow someone, it is not automatic that they will then follow you - it is their choice.

aussiearoids

twice now I have had forum vanish and a 'wait 11 seconds for search results' ... am using most recent posts option ,,

first page comes up ok but fault comes when trying to access page 2

Pando

This is reproducible. If I do a search that results in multiple pages, and then click on page 2, this error comes up immediately:

Sorry, there is a problem 

Please wait 25 seconds before attempting another search 

Error code: 1C205/3

Apparently the forum detects page navigation as separate search events.

JT in Japan

Dean, I echo everyone's remarks re: your efforts. Massive thanks for the massive undertaking.

I want to highlight one usability function that works differently, and ask for guidance. I used to pick a random page from the past, for example "post 250 of 950." That would put me somewhere back in 2007, and I'd happily start reading all those info-rich topics from the past. I would use the "next unread thread" button to proceed forward, and would continue perusing the historical postings for days and weeks at a time, just using that "next" button. But when I tried the same thing last week, I went back to 2009 and read the first post, then used the "next" button, and was brought right back to the latest 2015 post. I tried several more times, and always jump immediately back to the future (oh yes, that's good).

Is this replicable? Something fundamentally different.?

Thanks.

JT