Sign in to follow this  
trioderob

"failed attempts" in Cali....lets talk about what happened

trioderob

so the idea of this thread is to talked about attempts to grow spectacular tropical palms in California that are either not know to make it here or are un proven

so for example - has anyone tried to grow double coconuts, lipstick palms, exotic stilt rooted palms ect.....

what happened ?

did they survive even one winter ?

did they die the first cold night ?

trioderob

i start

tried growing a lemur .

it did fantastic during the summer - peaking with the hot humid month of august

come mid November it stopped growing - along with most of the other palms

was ok till the heavy rains of feb where is went into an extremely rapid decline and croaked

Edited by trioderob

quaman58

I keep telling myself that I can grow Pritchardia pacifica. I can't. Not even close.

Pete in Paradise Hills

Lemur 10/14-7/15 RIP

trioderob

it died in July - that is a bummer - should do great in July

here is one that was a "fail" but my fault:

Coccothrinax Miraguama - decided to move it in Feb - bad idea- perfectly normal and healthy beautiful palm immediately went into a startling decline and croaked.

I never move a palm from OCT- MAY anymore

Edited by trioderob

Sabal Steve

Coccothrinax Miraguama - decided to move it in Feb - bad idea- perfectly normal and healthy beautiful palm immediately went into a startling decline and croaked.

I have a stilt rooted palm that has done quite well thus far. I think I planted it in late winter, of course it's still fairly new, and about the size of a large 15 gallon.

I always heard that Cocothrinax moved pretty well. I yanked one out of a pot before it became rootbound, and threw it in a large pot and just neglected it. Not thriving, but I don't water it much - I should, it's a really nice palm, and getting a bigger. Funny thing is, it hates the sun...

bubba

Just as the Newport Beach Coconut leaves the scene, fully mature Coconuts are located in La Quinta. It seems there are so many microclimates in Southern California, there likely must be a location where virtually everything has a shot.Plant it and it will grow.

• Upvote 1

Pete in Paradise Hills

It's just a tough grow here. I think I have one of the better microclimates in San Diego. Granted I couldn't water every day and that hurt it...

Jim in Los Altos

The only palm besides coconuts I've tried multiple times without success is Dictosperma album. Three tries three years each. Not worth the trouble. By the way, my Lemurophoenix is growing again after two months of nearly no movement. I added acid to the soil as well as removed soil from around it's base as it had tillered itself down two inches. I'm also watering most of the time with distilled water. This will be its second full winter in the ground.

I've tried so many coconuts and failed that I've lost count. I finally got one to survive outside all winter and it's a Jamaican tall. It looks kind of crappy but it's putting out a new leaf as we speak.

Phoenikakias

It's just a tough grow here. I think I have one of the better microclimates in San Diego. Granted I couldn't water every day and that hurt it...
Strange!In my garden it is one of the easiest growers,as long as it does not get killed in winter...

Josh-O

areca vestiaria red form

The yellow form grows for me no problem

I seem to get about 3 years out of them then they die

Pete in Paradise Hills

Dypsis Pilulifera 4 incher 10/14-8/15. Got a ton of water and did well initially (greenhouse momentum) before dying a slow death RIP.

Sabal Steve

Dypsis Pilulifera 4 incher 10/14-8/15. Got a ton of water and did well initially (greenhouse momentum) before dying a slow death RIP.

Hey Pete,

I have an "Orange Crush", which has been used synonymously with D. piluliferia at times. I put it in a pot a few years ago as a seedling with maybe 1' long leaves. It's slow, but chugs along. Biggest leaves are about 3', with each new leaf coming out much bigger than the last. It does way better in the shade. I've never watered it much, but I don't believe that it is drought tolerant either.

Sabal Steve

areca vestiaria red form

The yellow form grows for me no problem

I seem to get about 3 years out of them then they die

Any idea what kills them, in your conditions?

Pete in Paradise Hills

Hey Pete,

I have an "Orange Crush", which has been used synonymously with D. piluliferia at times. I put it in a pot a few years ago as a seedling with maybe 1' long leaves. It's slow, but chugs along. Biggest leaves are about 3', with each new leaf coming out much bigger than the last. It does way better in the shade. I've never watered it much, but I don't believe that it is drought tolerant either.

Mine was in shade and still croaked.

rprimbs

Several years ago I bought two Cyrtostachys renda on Ebay from Hawaii. I planted them in self-watering pots intending to bring them indoors when it got too cold. I forgot and they went through several freezing nights. Amazingly they were still alive in the spring (March) after no protection at all during the winter. And then they slowly declined and were completely dead by mid-summer...

WestCoastGal

I suppose if we are talking failed attempts I can mention the canaries that were transplanted along the bay bridge that were just removed. Heard the story on 740 this morning while in line at Starbucks and just thought how sad as I'm sure many of these palms were probably doing just fine before they were removed from properties in the area before being bought for this project.

http://abc7news.com/traffic/caltrans-replaces-palm-trees-on-bay-bridge-approach/927536/

displaced_floridian

Several years ago I bought two Cyrtostachys renda on Ebay from Hawaii. I planted them in self-watering pots intending to bring them indoors when it got too cold. I forgot and they went through several freezing nights. Amazingly they were still alive in the spring (March) after no protection at all during the winter. And then they slowly declined and were completely dead by mid-summer...

What do you think killed them if it wasn't the cold?

Ben in Norcal

I suppose if we are talking failed attempts I can mention the canaries that were transplanted along the bay bridge that were just removed. Heard the story on 740 this morning while in line at Starbucks and just thought how sad as I'm sure many of these palms were probably doing just fine before they were removed from properties in the area before being bought for this project.

http://abc7news.com/traffic/caltrans-replaces-palm-trees-on-bay-bridge-approach/927536/

I have been noticing a few of these are still headed downhill. I can't believe people are only getting $1,000 per tree. I guess if you want it gone anyway...

Jeff Searle

What do you think killed them if it wasn't the cold?

It was the cold. It's called a slow death!!!

DoomsDave

Oh, heck, listing all the species I've killed futilely will probably cripple my hands from all the typing.

But, here's a partial list: Areca catecu, vestiara; Dypsis rivularis; Nephrosperma; Ceroxylon.\

Enough for now. :interesting:

trioderob

Dave-

keep um comin................. :bemused:

Kim

Carpoxylon macrospermum, dessicated during winter. It was under a plastic tent with Christmas lights. One objective was to keep it a degree or two above the cold night temperatures, and the other was to prevent soggy soil. Too cold, too wet, or too dry, don't really know. I had such high hopes back then...

JasonD

I have been noticing a few of these are still headed downhill. I can't believe people are only getting $1,000 per tree. I guess if you want it gone anyway...

The loss rate is to be expected among the transplanted Bay Bridge canaries. ABC 7 just needed to fill a news hole and palm trees in the busiest roadway in the area are a photogenic topic.

BS Man about Palms

Basselinia tomentosa, ..the others that died I will likely try again..