Sign in to follow this  
PalmatierMeg

Huge Archonotophoenix with pink inflorescense - Species?

PalmatierMeg

I planted this Archo 5 or so years ago. It has grown to be a monster - largest and fattest by far than any other Archo I have. This year it put out its first inlforescense and that's pink. Which Archo has pink flowers?

post-1349-0-67398900-1436567632_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-73193100-1436567717_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-07340100-1436567769_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-40683500-1436567828_thumb.jp

Daryl

Meg, this is Archontophoenix cunninghamiana

Steve the palmreader

A nice King !

Tropicgardener

Yes it is an Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, Piccabeen Palm.

NorCalKing

Sweet!

I can only hope my 11 gal I planted this year looks as nice some day :yay:

PalmatierMeg

I have other picabeens but they are only half the diameter as this one

Jim in Los Altos

I have other picabeens but they are only half the diameter as this one

Meg, A. cunninghamiana are very variable. Some of my mature ones are skinny and some rival royal palm trunk diameters at 24".

DoomsDave

A big thing King

Some do get big.

Some get REALLY huge.

Other Archies, too, like purpurea.

Daryl

You're correct Dave, the biggest of all is A.purpurea. All Archontophoenix can get very large, but I have never seen any of the size I saw at Mt Lewis...they were huge, magnificent palms. Give them constant cool and rainy/misty conditions like the top of Mt Lewis and they thrive.

Getting back to Meg's A.cunninghamiana, the species has a natural range of over 2000km or 1250 miles approx. That's about the same as Miami to New York. As you can imagine, there is a huge range of climates and soils etc, plus countless opportunities for them to naturally vary. Some have purple crownshafts, some brown, some bright green, and everything in between...some are larger or stockier, some have different leaf forms, some have broad leaflets and some have narrow. Some of this can be attributed to their growing conditions, but a lot is due to genetic variation of the species. Looks like you have yourself a lovely palm!

Daryl

peachy

I bought a bangalow (cunninghamia) a few years ago for the simple reason that although they are very common, I didnt have one. Mine grew like a rocket and is a big fatty too. It gets the pinkish flowers also. It inspired me to try a couple more, but they were ratty little things that didnt thrive. It must be a genetic thing. You were lucky Meg to get a sturdy one.

dalmatiansoap

Nice plant! I need one like that!

:greenthumb:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have many palms. Most of them are very happy palms because I love them and we treat them well. In turn, they reward us with bountiful crops of seeds. I've learned there is scant interest in seeds of very tropical palms, esp. "common" ones that grow fast and get large no matter how beautiful they are. Today we got out the pole saw to stop these palms from burying us alive in seeds. We ended up with the pile of aborted infructescenses you see in the photos. Sad, I know, but necessary.
      For anyone interested, that pile includes the following species as I can best remember:
      Adonidia merrillii
      Veitchia joannis
      Veitchia spiralis
      Veitchia winin
      Carpentaria acuminata
      Dypsis pembana
      Coccothrinax sp
      Archonotophoenix tuckeri
      Archonotophoenix maxima
      Ptychosperma elegans

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have 100+ seedlings of this rare Archonotophoenix species in 4" pots for sale. A. maxima is the largest of the so-called king palms, reaching up to 25m tall. Palmpedia gives conflicting info on its coldhardiness: one description indicates 28F but another article claims this species has survived frostless 24.4F with 60% leaf burn (which claim is correct I don't know). My mother palm overlooking our canal has no problems with SWFL winters. A. maxima is one of the rarest king palms in the US and difficult to find. See summary below:
      Archonotophoenix maxima seedlings: $1.00 each
      Shipping = $10.00 via Priority Mail. Seedlings will be shipped without pots and most soil with roots protected by damp orchid moss, clear wrap and foil.
      No shipping outside of US. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal. Please PM me if you are interested.
      Photos
      Sample Seedlings for sale

Mother Palm

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Today I continued my photo record of our landscaping escapades by focusing on the east side of the house. In the swale near the street I planted a bald cypress. I love how they grow "knees" in the Everglades. Cape Coral has started landscaping water runoff areas with cypress and some of them have developed really cool knees. Just above the swale, on the slope - bad idea - I put in an 8x8 Euphorbia garden. This was before we acquired our garden lot and had little room left for my goofy ideas. So, some of the tall Euphorbias have a tendency to list or fall over.

I missed this little Livistona nitida when I photographed Sabal Row. It's actually not on my property but no one has complained yet.

From the street side looking south

Our monster Roystonea regia. We planted it over 20 years ago as a willowy sapling. It's fixing to rain down 1000s of little seeds.