IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm ID in Terra Nostra Botanical Garden, AZORES!

Rafael

Hello palm people, typing from amazing Azores :drool:

Went to a terrific botanical park, called Terra Nostra, in São Miguel Island.

Between other beauties, mainly archontophoenix cunninghamiana and rhopalostylis sapida, saw this one below.

Any guesses? kentiopsis?

post-3292-0-78259900-1417877222_thumb.jp

post-3292-0-58072900-1417877224_thumb.jp

Rhopalostylis Baueri?

I doubt that. I think petioles of a rhopalostylis would be a little more upright and the crownshaft would be thicker than the trunk.

But I have to admit, I don't have another guess...

The structure looks all wrong to me to be a Rhopalostylis Baueri. there is zero bulge in the crown shaft and the fronds are drooping downward. I'm stumped on this one.

It almost looks like a stretched out Ravenea glauca?? what ever it is it is growing in lots of shade.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Looks like Rhopalostylis to me

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

The mystery lingers on!! :)

I don't think it does I believe Peter identified the palm correctly. The example I shared a photo of is growing in a much more open slightly sunnier position than that of the specimen that Rafael has asked about. In shade Rhopalostylis baueri takes on a more pendulous form.

Yes, Rhopalstylis is variable, depending on the sun exposure. I saw a Rhopalostylis at the New Plymouth Botanic Garden growing under dense canopy. I was certain that it was R. baueri because of the more open, hemispherical crown, but the label was R. sapida.

Also the crownshaft of Rhopalostylis is variable, depending on the number, and degree of development of the underlying spathes. It is true that the R. baueri crownshaft generally will be smaller in diameter relative to the trunk than for R. sapida.

Descriptions of the differences between the two species are only valid for adult plants under an open sky.

One example is that all Rhopalostylis have pronounced petioles as juvenile plants. A fairly constant difference is the color of the flowers. R. sapida will have mauve or lilac flowers while R. baueri will show cream or ivory flowers.

(An exception is R. sapida ' Chatham Island with cream colored flowers.)

In my garden I grow R. baueri ,R. sapida x baueri, R. sapida 'Great Barrier Island', R. sapida 'Little Barrier Island', and R. sapida 'Chatham Island'.

Over the last 32 years I have also observed 3 different flowering habits on the trees. ( But this would be a different topic !)

I also think the palm shown in this thread is a Rhopalostylis. :)

San Francisco, California

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's a Rhopalostylis, and I'd assert that it looks closer to a R. sapida than R. baueri. It's the shade condition that gives it the very open, relaxed crown.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C