IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Kentia Palm - Front Office Material

MattyB

When I needed a top-notch beautiful palm to fill my front planter, I knew that Kentia was the palm for the job.

post-126-0-63315600-1413582418_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

that's the best stage for kentia palms. i have 2 in the front that haven't really filled out yet after i put them straight into full blasting sun but they're really starting to put on some size

I'm surprised they will take full sun there. You are what, 11 miles inland? I know they couldn't here, 30 miles in.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I'm 4 miles inland and mine fried at first but with deep watering they shoot nice new leaves and adapt

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

Yeah, I'm about 10 miles inland. Gary is probably 20 miles inland and his look great out in sun. They just need to acclimate. Mine do burn at around 100f, but they still hold nice green leaves, only the tops scorch. They take burn well.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

They sure have grown up in 16 months since my last visit !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Troy, they all have about a foot of clear trunk now, two of which are crazy fat!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

MattyB, can you tell us the gallons/week of water for each of these palms? Thanks !

San Francisco, California

Troy, they all have about a foot of clear trunk now, two of which are crazy fat!

i checked my memory card but i guess i didn't photo it, the last PSSC meeting at the first house there was a howea with a huge stepped base, seemed like it was 3' across easily

MattyB, can you tell us the gallons/week of water for each of these palms? Thanks !

Darold, for normal summer schedule, each Kentia gets 18 gallons per week.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I'm not sure how many fronds; I don't count. I'd guess at least 5.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Howeas may be common but they are still beautiful palms, and especially in a group! Way to go, Matt! :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Howeas are such a beautiful tropical looking palm, no wonder those who live in a suitable climate grow them a lot. Makes me wonder how they might grow for me at my elevation. Yours look super nice Matty.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Matty, yours look fantastic. Wouldn't it be great if these were as commonly planted as queen palms? They're SO much prettier.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

There's a mature Kentia down tje street from me that never gets water. probably has 8' of clear trunk. It looks quite good, and seems to actually tolerate the drought better than the unwatered queen palms nearby.

They are tough little suckers and actually pretty drought tolerant if kept in shade. I've posted this pic before, but look at my neighbor's Kentia. It looks great, just has a super skinny trunk from all the years sitting on a dry, rocky substrate. It would probably be fried if it was in full sun, but in the shade, it just stunted out and kept on growing.

post-126-0-50907100-1414011015_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matty, i remembered your ' need some ideas' thread en found this picture of exactly 2 years ago. It would seem your kentia's almost outperform your queens?

post-3264-0-31225800-1414532797.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"