IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaerops humilis var ?

iwan

This is an unsual Chamaerops that I found growing by the old school in San Andrés, Tenerife, reminiscent of the form called vulcano:

ChumilisEscuelaSAndrs1.jpg

ChumilisEscuelaSAndrs2.jpg

Dear Carlo's  :)

A big thank you to you_Man.

fentastic stills of such a lovely med fan palm Sp..

Lot's of love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(Carlo Morici @ Mar. 05 2007,11:31)

"cerifera" means wax-bearing.

"Cera" is wax (in Latin as well as in Italian, Spanish, etc.)

"-fera" means bearing, carrying.

Chamaerops humilis cerifera means "Humble low bush bearing wax"

"Cera" is wax (in Latin as well as in Italian, Spanish, etc.)..............and Portuguese.In Portuguese you write it with an acute accent ( ´  )on the ´´ ri´´

Cerífero or cerífera  means wax producing in portuguese.

I pronounce it like the portuguese ´´cerífera´´:

si-REE-fi-ra

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Hey Guys,

I would hate to see this thread die, as I think it's one of the most thorough discussions of Chamaerops I've ever seen. Thanks to all of you who have sent in such nice professional photos and such a wealth of information, including phoenetics, etc. Even though I have never seen a Vulcano in real life, I think I could identify one now from the excellent photos you have sent in.

I did a "body" count in my garden and I have 7 distinct varieties of Chamaerops, some more unique than others. I always look for the "odd" ones when nursery hopping.  You never know what might show up.

I don't remember if I mentioned, but I have a variety that came from Santa Barbara Calif about 40 years ago.  It was sold by Digard Nurserys which was managed by Otto Martens, a former president of the Palm Society.  It was called Cham. var Ritchiana.  It's a compact form with a thick trunk and short petioles and the fronds are silver underneeth.

One of the male plants had the habit of having a terminal inflorescence, which of course kills that trunk when it blooms.  It's now down to one major trunk several feet high, but it's still producing small suckers at its base. I have 3 of these plants, both male and female.  I never tried to propigate it since I didn't think it was that unique, but maybe I should.  I pull up hundreds of seedlings that come up under the female plant. The crowns on this plant are very semetrical, and it holds itself in a nice way.

When Robert comes back with his magic camera, I'll try to get some pictures posted.  In the meanwhile, if you see any unusual Chamaerops forms, please send in pictures, where the plant was located, and any other information you might have.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Hey Dick!

One  German  friend , send  me  an  e-mail

with  this  address for  have  an  opinion!

But  I  don't  have  idea!

You  think  is a real Hybrid ?

Look  here :http://cgi.ebay.de/Chamaerops-humilis-x-Brahea-armata-Hybride-RARITAT_W0QQitemZ260089742638QQihZ016QQcategory

Z115736QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Ciao  M@x

M@x

North Rome Italy

(PalmGuyWC @ Mar. 10 2007,05:35)

When Robert comes back with his magic camera, I'll try to get some pictures posted.  In the meanwhile, if you see any unusual Chamaerops forms, please send in pictures, where the plant was located, and any other information you might have.

Dick

Dick,

Look forward to documenting more of your garden.  Thanks to you I am now on the lookout for different variants of this species.  I have never had much interest in Chamaerops before.  Two weeks ago I was at a nursery that had several hundred that all came from the same seed batch.  There were at least three distinct variations.  One was somewhat dwarf and looked kind of like a T. waggie, another had very long thin petioles and somewhat silver, the rest were pretty much standard.  

I was going to start a new thread on varieties, but since you are asking for them here, I will post them up after I take some pictures.  I also need to post a picture of my baby "mutant" that I got from Patric at the Norcal meeting last weekend.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Hello Robert and all,

Since my mutant Chamaerops seems to be spreading around, and finally finding its way into cultivation, I think it needs a name besides "C. mutant." It would be really vain to name it after myself, and since I found the plant in the Tampa Fla. area, I think an appropriate name would be C. humilus, var Tampensii. Pronounced "Tam-PEN-zee."  I'm open to all other suggestions for a name, but it should be named since it's quite unique.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

hey guys here is a still of my Med Fan palm,but want to

know to what catagoury does it fall under or what sp it

belongs to.

and in four directions it had clumped(Suckered)but wish to

know what is the maxium limit that it gives out suckers.

is there any fixed value to its numbers.and the leaf size

will it grow larger in size if it is grounded ?

Thanks & Love,

Kris  :)

post-108-1173716974_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 5 years later...

In honor of Dick, I wanted to show off my little Chamaerops humilis var. cerifera with bifurcated leaflets. Not the best picture quality. I notice this tendency to bifurcate in Chamaerops, but this one individual is spectacular.

20121207_074436.jpg

The picture below shows the fact that this is actually two different plants that were growing in the same pot. The front part is a normal cerifera; whereas, the rear plant is the prettier bifuracted one (also more silver). With more size, I may simply execute the normal one. I selected this one from a large group of ceriferas I found at the local big box.

20121207_074444.jpg

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

What a beautiful silver-blue. Thanks for sharing it.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 3 years later...

I found an interesting palm in a median in Tucson. Much like the 'Lisa' variant the leaves stick together and don't fully fan open. I collected some seed today and shall see if the seeds hold true to the parent. Does anyone have a chamerhops like this? Does anyone have an idea as to whether the seed will hold true to the mutant form and if so what percentage of the germinated seed will have this look? Additionally I may have a few seed to share if anyone wants some. 

IMG_2857.JPG

• Upvote 3

That is a great looking Chamaerops and the seeds should hold true to form if this plant pollinated itself. If a normal male pollinated this female then it's anyones guess as to how many of this form will arise in the seedlings. I have a couple of Chamaerops with fused leaves but I would say that one in Tuscon looks better. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Regards Neil

Below are a couple of chamaerops I have with fused leaves. These are quite young plants so it will interesting to see how they look once they form a trunk.

ch1.JPG.e652a714b876a429e92c84f8ffc8ef65ch2.JPG.3f7bceba1b1e98f94230b8ef70b4624c

I've also attached some photos of another strange variety with fine, greatly split leaves. I think Wimmie has one of these.

ch3.JPG.75c464a607ed02d56db0407f6f8b4206ch4.JPG.52e1d912ae74700b7fc2fc41ed76b2d1

Regards Neil

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
On 24/11/2016, 12:19:16, Neil C said:

Below are a couple of chamaerops I have with fused leaves. These are quite young plants so it will interesting to see how they look once they form a trunk.

ch1.JPG.e652a714b876a429e92c84f8ffc8ef65ch2.JPG.3f7bceba1b1e98f94230b8ef70b4624c

I've also attached some photos of another strange variety with fine, greatly split leaves. I think Wimmie has one of these.

ch3.JPG.75c464a607ed02d56db0407f6f8b4206ch4.JPG.52e1d912ae74700b7fc2fc41ed76b2d1

Regards Neil

Those are really exceptional plants!

On 11/24/2016, 11:19:16, Neil C said:

Regards Neil

Yeah, right, Neil, I have one of those. The French have named them as Chamaerops humilis, var. duplicifolia, and this leafform also occurs in Chamaerops humilis var. cerifera.

I'll attach a photo of mine. In my expirience, this caracteristic tends to get less.

Wim.

P1000051klein.jpeg

• Upvote 2

• 4 months later...

My chammy has these strange partly undivided leaves like some others in this interesting thread.

IMG_0538 (002).jpg

• Upvote 4

apparantly they can grow these undivided leaves in the wild too. Frederico from Italy posted this picture years ago on EPS forum.  

6990116134_e9108cef2e_z.jpg

• Upvote 5

Seedling from the lisa form in Az. Does it produce a bifid eophylle?

IMG_20170515_104746.jpg

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Upvote 3

I noticed this picture of Palmbob of a so called ' green mound' chamaerops. It reminded me of the one I posted above in Amsterdam. The green is almost lime green, very different from regular chamaerops.

92bfcd.jpg

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/11/2016, 8:48:12, kirkhutch said:

I found an interesting palm in a median in Tucson. Much like the 'Lisa' variant the leaves stick together and don't fully fan open. I collected some seed today and shall see if the seeds hold true to the parent. Does anyone have a chamerhops like this? Does anyone have an idea as to whether the seed will hold true to the mutant form and if so what percentage of the germinated seed will have this look? Additionally I may have a few seed to share if anyone wants some. 

IMG_2857.JPG

One seedling from thia plant has a bifid eophyll. Also very erratic germination at a very poor rate up to now.IMG_20170527_135356.thumb.jpg.d975d5f055IMG_20170527_135308.thumb.jpg.1baa4c74ee

• Upvote 3