Jump to content

Recommended Posts

ando.wsu

Mine in Phx Az also has a small trunk in a pot. About 8ft tall.  Gets watered everyday.  But I think she looks decent.  I dont expect she will ever look good like in the tropics. But ill take it for what it is worth. 

774CD276-CBEF-44D8-8C5B-ADD9FFE84549.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmsOrl
8 hours ago, ando.wsu said:

Mine in Phx Az also has a small trunk in a pot. About 8ft tall.  Gets watered everyday.  But I think she looks decent.  I dont expect she will ever look good like in the tropics. But ill take it for what it is worth. 

774CD276-CBEF-44D8-8C5B-ADD9FFE84549.jpeg

Your coconut looks amazing.  Give it plenty of water.  Its location by the house should help it to do really well over winter.

-Loke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
On 10/5/2021 at 4:05 PM, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Okay.  Looking forward to seeing the size.

Clean trunk width (at the bole): 9"

Trunk with leaf bases attached: 13"

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
On 10/6/2021 at 11:10 PM, GottmitAlex said:

Clean trunk width (at the bole): 9"

Trunk with leaf bases attached: 13"

 

Alex, the figures I gave for mine are the circumference,  I will have to measure again to get the width.  Can you get the circumference of yours too?

John

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
7 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Alex, the figures I gave for mine are the circumference,  I will have to measure again to get the width.  Can you get the circumference of yours too?

John

Sure thing John.

I have the measuring tape handy at the house.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
3 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Sure thing John.

I have the measuring tape handy at the house.

Thanks.

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
2 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Thanks.

 

Clear trunk: 26"

 

With leaf bases: 30"

 

IMG_20211009_152626_1_copy_4896x2448.jpg

 

IMG_20211009_153336_1_copy_4896x2448.jpg

IMG_20211009_153524_1_copy_2448x4896.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
15 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Clear trunk: 26"

 

With leaf bases: 30"

 

IMG_20211009_152626_1_copy_4896x2448.jpg

 

IMG_20211009_153336_1_copy_4896x2448.jpg

IMG_20211009_153524_1_copy_2448x4896.jpg

Okay, I stand corrected!  Yours is a few inches more in circumference than mine!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
Just now, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Okay, I stand corrected!  Yours is a few inches more in circumference than mine!

 

I forgot what you said, how tall was it in overall height when you planted it, how old was it then, and how long has it been in the ground?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
13 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

I forgot what you said, how tall was it in overall height when you planted it, how old was it then, and how long has it been in the ground?

It was a single leaf (its first leaf)  strapping Coco when I planted it. 

It has been in the ground for 5 years.

 

I received it via USPS with a bent stem in order to fit in the tiny 6"x4"x12"  box. From Flahriduh!

It has survived.

Here's a pic of what's left of the original nut and a pic of the green Malayan dwarf nut that flanks it. (4years old) 

IMG_20211009_155748_1_copy_2448x4896.jpg

IMG_20211009_155755_1_copy_2448x4896.jpg

IMG_20211009_155800_1_copy_2448x4896.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex

I won't say the four-letter word since I have suggested it ad nauseam for Cocos nucifera (and folks still don't believe me):

 

IMG_20211009_162557_1_copy_2448x4896.jpg

IMG_20211009_162548_1_copy_2448x4896.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mnorell

The Philippine Coconut Authority recommends fertilization of inland coconuts with salt. And even if some may disagree with their assessment in terms of nutritional value, we all have to realize that beautiful coconuts exist all over the tropics and warm subtropics, their roots bathed in saltwater. Those planted beyond the high-tide line and other areas just back of the coast still get plentiful salt drifting in on the constant breezes from the ocean, settling in the soil. So you are not crazy, Alex!
See their brochure here: Common Salt Fertilization on Coconuts

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WaianaeCrider

Finally broke down last year and got one of these COMMON palms that you can see all over the island.  Here is one years growth.  I have know idea what type it is.  All the guy knows that I got it from is it's a coconut.  LOL  I'll try to get a photo of it next time I see him.

Cocos nucifera-20200723_112331.jpg

Cocos nucifera-20211009_141503.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kailua_Krish
11 hours ago, WaianaeCrider said:

Finally broke down last year and got one of these COMMON palms that you can see all over the island.  Here is one years growth.  I have know idea what type it is.  All the guy knows that I got it from is it's a coconut.  LOL  I'll try to get a photo of it next time I see him.

Cocos nucifera-20200723_112331.jpg

Cocos nucifera-20211009_141503.jpg

Steve, I was very against getting a coconut in my yard given that all my neighbors have them but then I came across the red tahitian one and the colors are just spectacular. I would highly recommend it though it may set you back a little bit. The orange coloration is as bright as a croton on mine.

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
On 10/9/2021 at 5:50 PM, GottmitAlex said:

It was a single leaf (its first leaf)  strapping Coco when I planted it. 

It has been in the ground for 5 years.

 

I received it via USPS with a bent stem in order to fit in the tiny 6"x4"x12"  box. From Flahriduh!

It has survived.

Here's a pic of what's left of the original nut and a pic of the green Malayan dwarf nut that flanks it. (4years old) 

IMG_20211009_155748_1_copy_2448x4896.jpg

IMG_20211009_155755_1_copy_2448x4896.jpg

IMG_20211009_155800_1_copy_2448x4896.jpg

Nice.  Good job!

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
virginiawolf

Here are the coconut trees in my front yard in Miami. Can anyone tell me whether they are Jamaican or Panama? They have been growing about 20 years. They produce coconuts that sprout, and I'm including one that I had to dig out my yard. Thanks in advance!

tree left.JPG

tree right.JPG

new palm2.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
26 minutes ago, virginiawolf said:

Here are the coconut trees in my front yard in Miami. Can anyone tell me whether they are Jamaican or Panama? They have been growing about 20 years. They produce coconuts that sprout, and I'm including one that I had to dig out my yard. Thanks in advance!

tree left.JPG

tree right.JPG

new palm2.JPG

Very nice. If I had to guess, I'd say they are Jamaican/Atlantic tall.

Seem to have a full 360° crown.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jimbean

This is a pre-2010 coconut palm in my neighborhood.  It doesn't look like a dwarf variety.  Anyone have any ideas?

20211011_191028.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
On 10/10/2021 at 6:29 PM, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Nice.  Good job!

Alex, mine are only 8 inches in diameter, so yours are bigger at the base than mine, so the pics of yours obviously don't do them justice.  Pics of trees never do.

John

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John2468

Here is my coconut I germinated from a store bought coconut around 6 months ago. No idea what variety it is.

205D3116-F4A2-4B49-9AF3-1D25BB5EF9D6.jpeg

255B514D-87CD-486C-A226-83AA0686F516.jpeg

76A0CB8A-9DFB-4B21-950F-EB00568C91ED.jpeg

51ED59A9-01F8-468F-90C3-F4A2D3B70B66.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
On 10/13/2021 at 5:55 PM, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Alex, mine are only 8 inches in diameter, so yours are bigger at the base than mine, so the pics of yours obviously don't do them justice.  Pics of trees never do.

John

Truth be told John.

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zeeth

Hawaiian tall from Gaia Yoga Nursery starting to gain some size. I love the classic bole at the base of the trunk and lean away from the house. 

3F0FA8D8-D2FD-4D63-AFA1-6E1A389E6F4F.jpeg

  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zeeth

Here's my Panama tall, from Dave Romney before he passed. Some say that Beccariophoenix alfredii is too thick trunked to make a good coconut mimic, but they should see this palm before making judgements. It's one of the thickest trunked coconuts that I've come across. 

1.thumb.jpeg.cee2d69a8b1933ae5531141d4207a0a3.jpeg

On the other end of the spectrum, the Tahiti (Rangiroa) red coconut is one of the most gracile coconuts I've seen. The trunk is still short, but it's thin enough that I can grab around it with both hands. The color a brilliant orange though, brighter than even my Red Spicata.

2.thumb.jpeg.88a10e77c3fec00ef667b6da6a1bf95b.jpeg

One coconut I always admire when I come across is this Jamaican tall on Anna Maria Island. I thought it was a gonner when they re-developed the lot it was planted on (which is often the case), but it was thankfully spared. I've got one of it's offspring growing in a pot in my garden. 3.thumb.jpeg.824dbef064f4a2d699da1a1f1530951b.jpeg

  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
26 minutes ago, Zeeth said:

Here's my Panama tall, from Dave Romney before he passed. Some say that Beccariophoenix alfredii is too thick trunked to make a good coconut mimic, but they should see this palm before making judgements. It's one of the thickest trunked coconuts that I've come across. 

1.thumb.jpeg.cee2d69a8b1933ae5531141d4207a0a3.jpeg

On the other end of the spectrum, the Tahiti (Rangiroa) red coconut is one of the most gracile coconuts I've seen. The trunk is still short, but it's thin enough that I can grab around it with both hands. The color a brilliant orange though, brighter than even my Red Spicata.

2.thumb.jpeg.88a10e77c3fec00ef667b6da6a1bf95b.jpeg

One coconut I always admire when I come across is this Jamaican tall on Anna Maria Island. I thought it was a gonner when they re-developed the lot it was planted on (which is often the case), but it was thankfully spared. I've got one of it's offspring growing in a pot in my garden. 3.thumb.jpeg.824dbef064f4a2d699da1a1f1530951b.jpeg

Your garden is looking pretty awesome @Zeeth:greenthumb:

Where’s that coconut on AMI? Any other old ones?

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zeeth
9 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Your garden is looking pretty awesome @Zeeth:greenthumb:

Where’s that coconut on AMI? Any other old ones?

These two are the tallest Jamaican talls on the island that haven't been removed for development:

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.4740555,-82.7015908,3a,75y,305.55h,102.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slNzh3j4K1zkKprEvYdHfww!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.4814641,-82.7046129,3a,75y,64.04h,98.46t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sLg9DhLXLZ6OpB1D576dYXw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

This one on the north end of the island is getting up there but not quite as old:

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.5383054,-82.7413015,3a,75y,53.27h,100.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbS5MfhvJzau5hK9z4VsP5A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

 

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
miamicuse

I have quite a number of coconuts that drops down periodically and most of them I placed at the bottom of my wood fence to close off the gap, preventing small ducks from entering the property and getting trapped in my pool or fish pond.  Some of them germinate and I give them to my neighbors.

IMG_20211101_155931.jpg.34d4012bb9ae5d37b0ed68b26e851850.jpg

IMG_20211101_155938.jpg.ba659ce9131d6a12a7749d5947d5b726.jpg

IMG_20211101_155954.jpg.30d3807910d7c54cf3f534233a6dac43.jpg

 

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
On 10/23/2021 at 9:44 AM, Zeeth said:

Hawaiian tall from Gaia Yoga Nursery starting to gain some size. I love the classic bole at the base of the trunk and lean away from the house. 

3F0FA8D8-D2FD-4D63-AFA1-6E1A389E6F4F.jpeg

Gorgeous palm, Keith!

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
On 10/31/2021 at 7:50 PM, Zeeth said:

Here's my Panama tall, from Dave Romney before he passed. Some say that Beccariophoenix alfredii is too thick trunked to make a good coconut mimic, but they should see this palm before making judgements. It's one of the thickest trunked coconuts that I've come across. 

1.thumb.jpeg.cee2d69a8b1933ae5531141d4207a0a3.jpeg

On the other end of the spectrum, the Tahiti (Rangiroa) red coconut is one of the most gracile coconuts I've seen. The trunk is still short, but it's thin enough that I can grab around it with both hands. The color a brilliant orange though, brighter than even my Red Spicata.

2.thumb.jpeg.88a10e77c3fec00ef667b6da6a1bf95b.jpeg

One coconut I always admire when I come across is this Jamaican tall on Anna Maria Island. I thought it was a gonner when they re-developed the lot it was planted on (which is often the case), but it was thankfully spared. I've got one of it's offspring growing in a pot in my garden. 3.thumb.jpeg.824dbef064f4a2d699da1a1f1530951b.jpeg

Gorgeous palms!  I hope my Panama Tall will get even half that size!

John

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmsOrl

Four of my Cocos (all talls, including a couple golden Hawaiian) have become too large to bring inside in the event of a freeze so I will have to somehow lift them into the covered breezeway of the apartment building and when they get too tall for that I will cut the leaves down to stubs and then move them under cover where it likely stays 5-7F warmer on the coldest radiational nights.  The forecast this winter is for warmer and drier than normal so here's hoping (for the former at least).

-Michael

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Walt

Zone (south central Florida) 9b coconut harvest. Today I cut off a bunch of ripe coconuts from my green Malayan dwarf (if that's what it is). When the bunch hit the ground most of the nuts detached. I will probably de husk, open, and eat a few of them, then try to sprout the rest. I had 21 on this bunch, but I had already harvested four nuts (fell off on their own) a few weeks ago, so I had 25 nuts on this one bunch.

 

Coconut palm 11-4-2021.jpg

Coconut 11-4-2021.jpg

  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
On 11/3/2021 at 9:00 AM, palmsOrl said:

Four of my Cocos (all talls, including a couple golden Hawaiian) have become too large to bring inside in the event of a freeze so I will have to somehow lift them into the covered breezeway of the apartment building and when they get too tall for that I will cut the leaves down to stubs and then move them under cover where it likely stays 5-7F warmer on the coldest radiational nights.  The forecast this winter is for warmer and drier than normal so here's hoping (for the former at least).

-Michael

I hope you are right, but someone in Florida on my Facebook group page, Tropical Gardening Of South Texas, the other day, said that the southeast is supposed to be colder than normal.

John

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
guygee
On 11/9/2021 at 1:14 AM, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

I hope you are right, but someone in Florida on my Facebook group page, Tropical Gardening Of South Texas, the other day, said that the southeast is supposed to be colder than normal.

John

We're approaching the second winter of La Nina, last time this happened was the winter of 2010-2011 when there was a record long string of cold days in the FL peninsula. That winter resulted in something like 70% mortality of coconut trees in my neighborhood on the Space Coast barrier island.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmfriend

Hi,

here is one of my favorite younger sprouts. I found the coconut on the beach and 

I am wondering what species it might be...

cn01.thumb.jpg.b3e54a2265a08d81e89562026199a758.jpg

cn02.thumb.jpg.1d9fe4a687e4bb78d70ede9c5d1b5525.jpg

The intense yellow color is what I like the most.

 

best regards

Lars

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
1 hour ago, palmfriend said:

Hi,

here is one of my favorite younger sprouts. I found the coconut on the beach and 

I am wondering what species it might be...

cn01.thumb.jpg.b3e54a2265a08d81e89562026199a758.jpg

cn02.thumb.jpg.1d9fe4a687e4bb78d70ede9c5d1b5525.jpg

The intense yellow color is what I like the most.

 

best regards

Lars

 

What a gorgeous color Lars!

Thanks for the picture.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmfriend
On 11/10/2021 at 7:57 PM, guygee said:

We're approaching the second winter of La Nina, last time this happened was the winter of 2010-2011 when there was a record long string of cold days in the FL peninsula. That winter resulted in something like 70% mortality of coconut trees in my neighborhood on the Space Coast barrier island.

I can't tell why but our locals say the same - we are going to face a colder winter than usual. Fingers crossed, reports will follow. 

Lars

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmfriend
1 minute ago, palmfriend said:

 

Sorry, double post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nicko_StPete
On 10/31/2021 at 8:50 PM, Zeeth said:

Here's my Panama tall, from Dave Romney before he passed. Some say that Beccariophoenix alfredii is too thick trunked to make a good coconut mimic, but they should see this palm before making judgements. It's one of the thickest trunked coconuts that I've come across. 

1.thumb.jpeg.cee2d69a8b1933ae5531141d4207a0a3.jpeg

On the other end of the spectrum, the Tahiti (Rangiroa) red coconut is one of the most gracile coconuts I've seen. The trunk is still short, but it's thin enough that I can grab around it with both hands. The color a brilliant orange though, brighter than even my Red Spicata.

2.thumb.jpeg.88a10e77c3fec00ef667b6da6a1bf95b.jpeg

One coconut I always admire when I come across is this Jamaican tall on Anna Maria Island. I thought it was a gonner when they re-developed the lot it was planted on (which is often the case), but it was thankfully spared. I've got one of it's offspring growing in a pot in my garden. 3.thumb.jpeg.824dbef064f4a2d699da1a1f1530951b.jpeg

Thanks for the update, amazing pics of your collection!! This is my first time (hopefully) responding to a PalmTalk post, so apologies if I messed this up... That being said, I'm a newbie since 2019 and have been following a lot of threads, but this is by far my fav. I'm a palm/coconut collector in St. Pete and want to also start sharing my collection. Thank you to everyone in this community for all of your help and posts since I've joined. @Zeeth, thanks to you, I now know where I can place my Red Tahitian (Rangiroa) in a tight spot, since the trunk width looks to be amazingly small and I'm going over 40+ coconut varieties in the ground at my house, lol... Yup, I've been busy, ha!! Also, I have at least 6 Panama Talls in the ground and am stoked that the trunks should be hopefully that wide in a few years.

Once I figure out how to post images, I will start adding to this thread soon.

1luv

-Nicko

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pargomad

Madeira island, Portugal

image.png.738018d6c6d38a2fb73d9778b8097688.png

image.png.d9e968b998b323be6487a6badf6754fb.png

image.png.7c2e85dbf65e05891e76390a4adef24f.png

Edited by Pargomad
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
On 11/12/2021 at 9:17 PM, palmfriend said:

Hi,

here is one of my favorite younger sprouts. I found the coconut on the beach and 

I am wondering what species it might be...

cn01.thumb.jpg.b3e54a2265a08d81e89562026199a758.jpg

cn02.thumb.jpg.1d9fe4a687e4bb78d70ede9c5d1b5525.jpg

The intense yellow color is what I like the most.

 

best regards

Lars

 

Hi Lars, 

It looks like it may be a Golden Malayan Dwarf, with its bright orangish golden colored petioles and straight trunk.

John

P.S.   Post some pics of your other Coconut Palms.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...