IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Giant ceroxylon ,D decipiens - pauleen sullivan garden

Tassie_Troy1971

After leaving Sunny Santa Barbara Dooms Dave's Cadillac roared down the Pacific coast Hwy to the legendary gardens of Pauleen Sullivan (dec) what better way to pay homage to our palm queen than to visit the magnificent palm collections that stand today ! :greenthumb:

First stop was Apartment complex number 1 where i saw a mature triple Jubaeaopsis caffra !

IMG_3769Jubaeopsis.jpg

Old Rhopalostylis sapida in full sun

IMG_3783.jpg

Myself under an old cycad maybe macrozamia variety

IMG_3775.jpg

• Like 2

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

IMG_3786.jpg

By sheer luck or the divine forces of nature Pauleens son Terry happened to be outside at the apartment complex and he was a really nice bloke whom gave Dooms

Dave Permission to collect seed off the triple Hedyscepe canterburyana of DooM (tm ) Dooms Dave started salivating excessively to the point where his red converse sneakers went " Squish squish ,squish :drool: " as he approached the Hedyscepe of Doom (tm ) ! :drool:

IMG_3780.jpg

IMG_3779.jpg

• Like 3

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Suddenly we all heard a noise and it was the triple headed Phoenix roebellenii beast ! rustling in the Ventura wind !

Dooms Dave " screamed obscenities ! " as he backed away from the triple headed beast !

IMG_3777.jpg

• Like 3

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Once again Randy and i roared across Ventura in Dave's Cadillac of DooM to the world famous ToNgA Apartments

IMG_3796.jpg

Towering Howeas' dominated the skyline as we approached our next PRA target !

IMG_3797.jpg

IMG_3791.jpg

• Like 3

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Before i knew what hit me i was approached by a giant Lepidorrachis moreana that had exacting enviromental parameters that had been met by Ventura's perpetually mild oceanic climate ! "scream obscenities . swooning sofa at the ready ! Dave said prepare yourself to see probably the oldest Lepidorrachis in cultivation ! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: !

Leppidorrachis1.jpg

Lepidorrachis2.jpg

Lepidorrsachis4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Tucked away in the corner from the Lepi superstar was a giraffe like Linospadix monostachya !

IMG_3812.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Rhopalostylis baueri

IMG_3810.jpg

Guihaia argyrata was rather coy about showing it's silver underbelly to Dooms tm Dave !

IMG_3843.jpg

• Like 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

After a minor hiccup with the battery terminal :rolleyes: on the Cadillac of DooM tm we roared about 5 min down the road to the former house of Pauleen !

As i looked out the window of the Cadillac of DooM tm ! all i could see was gray wood ! then i realized we were parked next to the DYpSiS DecipiENs of DooM tm !

Dypsisdecipens1.jpg

Dypsisdecipens2.jpg

This palm has to be seen to be believed ! one of ny favorites for sure

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Then suddenly i heard a piercing scream " obscenities " Dooms Dave had discovered the ancient and spiny Trithrinax campestris of DooM tm !

Trithinaxcampestris.jpg

Another Dypsis decipiens lurked around the corner from big Moma

IMG_3837.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Then i heard " oooohh my ! squish squish ! Dooms Dave was frozen right in front of the giant Ceroxylon ventricosum that ascended through 4 atmosphere layers ! :drool: Dave was overcome and i had to stand in for the Shoe scale Shot with my Brooks sneakers !

CeroxylonVentricosum2.jpg

Ceroxylonvent.jpg

Ceroxylonvent3.jpg

and up and up it goes ! :drool:

Ceroxylonvent4.jpg

• Like 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

IMG_3839.jpg

Ah Finally after seeing Dooms tm Dave's reaction to the silver Ceroxylon the Guihaia argyrata finally showed Dave it's silver underbelly ! :bemused:

IMG_3842.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

This Hedyscepe was narrowed down by a freeze in 1990 apparently according to Terry Sullivan

IMG_3841.jpg

After all this We dropped Randy ( yachtingone ) off at his truck and roared down the fwy in Dooms Dave's Cadillac of DooM tm to a secret chinese restaurant to refuel after a massive PRA day North of L. A

IMG_3859.jpg

IMG_3857.jpg

• Like 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

After the massive day of palm tours DooM's Dave was suffering from palm overload !

post-1252-0-77204400-1369047614_thumb.jp

The end !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

But wait ! there is more !

Video footage from the PRA

Click to watch

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

So that's what Dooms Dave looks like eh? Never could tell with the paper bag, lol. BTW awesome palms! Hope you enjoyed your visit to California, the land of fruits and nuts.

• Like 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Great photos and narration! Awesome gardens

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Thanks Troy for your epic take on an epic trip.

Us three were a trio of whirling PRA dervishes, all day long.

I was derved out that night, for sure. Out like a light when I hit the Pillow of Doom.

Do come again, Troy, and I'm sure the others will agree.

Hmm. How about an itinerary, Troy?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

umm ok Californians when did you start doing this palm planting thing?!

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

Fantastic thread troy!! Great to see you again.. wish I spent more time on the appointed PRA's..

Anywho... I believe the palm in the last 10 secs or so is Pauleens Basselinia faveri

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

You know, you have to watch out, as with all drugs, there's a risk of overdose. One of the symptoms may be the inability to count! That roebelini has 5 heads, not three.

Just ran to the elevator shaft and screamed obscenities into it.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Just ran to the elevator shaft and screamed obscenities into it.

I hope you were in the elevator and not falling down the elevator shaft.

• Upvote 1

In a proper world all rental units and apartment complexes would be landscaped like this. I wonder if any tenants have caught the palm-a-holic affliction from residing here?

Then i heard " oooohh my ! squish squish ! Dooms Dave was frozen right in front of the giant Ceroxylon ventricosum that ascended through 4 atmosphere layers ! :drool: Dave was overcome and i had to stand in for the Shoe scale Shot with my Brooks sneakers !

CeroxylonVentricosum2.jpg

Ceroxylonvent.jpg

Ceroxylonvent3.jpg

and up and up it goes ! :drool:

Ceroxylonvent4.jpg

AWESOME palm here Troy!!! It would have been a real sight to behold I imagine. Looks like great trip and some great hosts you have over there!

• Like 1

Great tour Troy..........thanks a million

• Like 1

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

Thanks Troy for posting new pics of this famous palms!!!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Yes seeing pauleens gardens has always been one of my plantaholic obsessions !

The ceroxylon is even better when viewed in person !

Troy

• Like 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Gorgeous palms Troy. Thanks for posting. It's amazing to see such beautiful, mature palms, and the elusive Dave of Doom in full glory.

Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Been through Ventura many times but have never seen any of that.

Next time I'll be stopping.

Superb palms

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mild climate - mostly frost free

One day grasshopper your Ceroxylon will be that size Nomolos ! :floor:

• Like 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

• 8 months later...

Bump

Pauleen Sulivan's palm collection is epic and worth another view ! :drool:

• Like 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

I must have missed this the first time around that Ceroxylon is unbelievable!

• Like 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 4 years later...

I finally made it up to Ventura for the first time. I’m happy to report that the DD and Ceroxylon are looking as awesome as ever!

6B828719-BC2A-4387-B015-29831561964C.jpeg

D09F5652-AE74-47D7-89B9-C1B3F50796BE.jpeg

F098E3F8-C21F-4602-918F-5BDFB2841DDF.jpeg

3E584C0A-5242-467E-8262-AED1CC1FACAF.jpeg

40935100-F11E-46B7-99D5-E36AC7DF9E9D.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Enjoyed this thread very much. Thanks for all those who posted pics. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.