IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Autumn in Oz and Sthn hemisphere

Pedro 65

Its the 1st day of Autumn today and so far to date weve had 1136mm for Jan Feb with no flooding as such just lots of continual rainy days and very little sun... Autumn is usually our "wettest season", and since I still have plenty to plant thats great ..More rain is always better than Less. Pete :)

In most (if not all) of the southern hemisphere change of seasons is on the first day of the respective months rather than at the equinox. .

Only from climatological point of view. Looking astronomical Fall always begins on the Autumnal equinox.

On the other side I dont think many ppl here mind about Palm astronomy.

"Fall" is a climatological feature, not an astronomical one. "Fall" is a man-made distinction in what is a continuum in nature. So the specific demarcation line that has become the convention has no meaning in the natural sphere, it's set arbitrarily by humans to a period they have compartmentalised in their own minds. Putting a date on it is purely convenience. The word "Fall" isn't based on any astronomical meaning, it just means fall of leaves pure and simple. I have trees that drop most of their leaves in the spring, you're hardly going to call that "Fall".

But Ante, we don't have a 'Fall' in Australia...just Autumn... :) and we have always gone by the calendar months for seasons here...so Autumn started 1/3/13 and winter will start 1/6/13 etc.

regards,

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

And I must say I am looking towards a slightly drier than normal Autumn as it is time for the sun to start shining again!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

And I must say I am looking towards a slightly drier than normal Autumn as it is time for the sun to start shining again!

Daryl

The December heat with fantastic thunderstorms to welcome summer and end the extreme dry Aug, Sept , Oct and Nov was very very welcome and gave tremendous growth here. I know the dry continued just over the border and pretty much over the whole state of Qld so when the rains arrived many peoples worries diminish and they start to sleep better again finally..

I normally dont plant much this time of year but since the Autumn outlook is "very wet" I will happily "keep planting" and no doubt you will too. :)

Re Fall, I like, Zig and Daryls post about the word Fall which I of course agree. :)

On the topic of rain, another 52mm in the gauge so were up to 1188mm. ( half our ave rainfall already :) Pete

Great rainfall Pete

Still no rain here @ Old Beach only 20 mm for the Jan / Feb period so far !

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Yeah, we had another 86mm in the gauge overnight an still raining...gotta say everything is pretty green around here!

Not much rain here, tee hee slosh, has anybody got a blueprint design for an ark ? I wanna get to the pub.

post-51-0-73952600-1362194796_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

But Ante, we don't have a 'Fall' in Australia...just Autumn... :) and we have always gone by the calendar months for seasons here...so Autumn started 1/3/13 and winter will start 1/6/13 etc.

regards,

Daryl

In Brazil it is by the equinox and soltices that seasons change. Not that seasons as known in colder climes exist. That is especially true on the equator where summer is known as winter (rainy season) and winter is known as summer (dry season).

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Really need rain here, and that's unusual for us. Most palms are OK but Acanthophoenix is getting hammered even with irrigation and lost a Chatham Nikau. Come back rain, all is forgiven.

Richnorm, you'll probably get the remnants of TC Sandra combined with a cold front early next week. So all is not lost, yet.

Richnorm, you'll probably get the remnants of TC Sandra combined with a cold front early next week. So all is not lost, yet.

Sadly weakening rapidly with the cool sea temperatures. We expect minimal rain (if any) this weekend. Farmers are the ones really suffering.

Sandra has upped the ante and is now lashing Lord Howe Island with gales and heavy rain. There a lot of moisture in that system, so you might still get something when that cold front catches up with it. There is some dry air wrapping into the system but I still wouldn't give up hope. Keep your fingers crossed, until early next week.

Wow, with a forecast of 32c today and "uninterrupted" sun for our 2nd day running, the plants and us are "glad for the Vitamin D" hit :) Rain tally is 1344mm to date with very very little sun so " bring on the sun and heat" for growth before it starts to cool. :) Pete

Got 5mm from Sandra to bring the year to date total to just a measly 25mm. It's not too unusual to get that much in an hour here. They are calling it the driest summer in 50 years for Auckland.

• 4 weeks later...

Some heavy falls today and plenty to come as our spillways show, over 1500 mm now so far this year. :) Pete

post-5709-0-11268200-1365813783_thumb.jp

9cm of rain here in the past 24 hours from steady light rain. Plenty of happy plants in the yard.

That rain missed the good people of logan. Well, my street anyway. Not a bad thing cause the mowing needs to be done tomorrow desperately. And glyphosate spraying

Yeah, we have has rain or showers just about every day here...have not had to water palms or pots or anything for months now...gotta be a good thing! It is a beautiful sunny day here now...not a cloud in the sky...makes it very hard to get ready for work!

Those thunderstorms yesterday were pretty impressive!

Daryl

Finally a brace of warm sunny days, nearly a week now, really wonderful, probably my fav time of year right now, mid Autumn. I planted some palms on Monday 22nd, may very well be my last plantings for quite some time me thinks. Any Southern hemis still planting ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Not the best here for planting, often getting 37+ but the air is becoming drier. Too much stress on the plants.

• 4 weeks later...

We hit 7.8C here last night and are sitting at 11.3 right now. I spent the day moving my more tender seedlings around to give them a bit more cold protection. Hopefully the temperatures behave themselves tonight!

• 2 weeks later...

For the last day of Autumn, Perth is expecting a cold one. The bureau are predicting an overnight low of 2c with possible frost. I'm situated further south of Perth along the coast between Rockingham, who will be expecting an overnight low of 6c and Mandurah who will be expecting the overnight low of 8c. So Secret Harbour should be around the 7c mark.

Not good coconut weather Tyrone!

:crying:

Our 2013 rainfall to today (first day of winter) is 1715mm. Last year the same amount was reached on the 1st November and 2012 total was just 1974.5mm. The nights are mild with a run of 10-14 mins forecast over the next week and onshore winds, so my coconuts will be happy for now !

Not bad for a first day in winter, minimum 21.9 and maximum of 34.0, RH from 93% early morning to 37% mid afternoon. Could do with rain,but it's not called the Dry Season for nothing.

Time to transfer to a winter thread...

• 4 weeks later...

Time to transfer to a winter thread...

:) Ok we are into our 4th week of Winter, but it still feels like Autumn and some days like Spring so lets "Not Start a winter thread" , touch wood it stays like this :) Yeh sure we have the wood fire crankn most nights to make it comfy n relaxed but the next 7 days is 20c day and 11c at night.."Love it" :) Pete

Some cold weather is on it's way to Perth late next week. On Friday Perth is looking at a low of 3c & high of 17c, Aubin Grove a little more inland is expecting a low of 1c & high of 15c and where I live in Secret Harbour we are expecting a low of 7c and a high of 16c.

:badday:

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :interesting:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.