pindo

Saxophone roots

pindo

Hello Friends Happy new year 2013

Can you tell me, (better with pictures) which Sabal spp. have saxophone root ??

Thanks in advance

Jose

post-1464-0-27439400-1357350322_thumb.jp

Stevetoad

I'm pretty sure all of them do

DoomsDave

They all do, from what I can tell. Some get huge in the pots, and bust out the bottom.

pindo

Thanks Steve and Dave

Really, I was not sure that all Sabal sp have saxophone roots. I could not find literature that I clarify this matter.

Can you indicate me some Link ?

Regards

Moose
Thanks Steve and Dave

Really, I was not sure that all Sabal sp have saxophone roots. I could not find literature that I clarify this matter.

Regards

:bummed:

_Keith

Wow, I posted one like this a while ago. It was labeled as something else, but no wonder everyone thought it was a Sabal. And it very well may be.

Moose

Thanks Steve and Dave

Regards

http://www.palmtalk....he-palm-doctor/

Ken Johnson

It's a saxophone trunk, not root. Yes, ALL Sabal have this.

Brahea Axel

Wow, I posted one like this a while ago. It was labeled as something else, but no wonder everyone thought it was a Sabal. And it very well may be.

Keith, are you taking about your "Sabal nobilis"? I am pretty sure you got a sabal, not a bismarckia.

avanza

Agree with Ken :hmm:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• newtopalmsMD
      By newtopalmsMD
      I have several Musa Basjoo banana plants (along with several of the cold hardier palm tree varieties) already planted around my pool.  I am looking for some other ornamental banana plans that I could overwinter in the ground with just large leaf pile coverage in zone 7a (north of Wash DC).  I have seen more and less optimistic claims on line about several Musa varieties with M. Sikkimensis and M. Mekong Giant seeming to be the more hardy, and very conflicting claims about ensete glaucum (snow banana).  Has anyone grown bananas other than M. Basjoo in this (or colder) region with overwintering in the ground?  (I'm also looking for other large leaf tropical looking plants that can overwinter in the ground.  I am trying for the first time Colocasia, Pink China.) 
      Thanks
    • The Steve
      By The Steve
      I’ve been growing these up for a few years now, and I was wondering how much longer before I can start to spot the true lisas.  I’m thinking that I’ll need to pot them up to one gallons.  Thoughts?
    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Back around 2010 I germinated seeds of this dwarf Chamaerops from an island in the Mediterranean Sea. They were generously sent to me by a palm lover in Rome. I kept and planted about half a dozen seedlings that appeared to show Vulcano traits, which show up across a range. A couple years ago I posted photos of my primo palm on the north side of my garden lot. These photos are of one of its siblings, which shows almost as well.
      Chamaerops humilis 'Vulcano', Cape Coral, FL

• Matthew92
      By Matthew92
      Was driving through an established neighborhood in the Dr. Phillips suburb of Orlando and found this drop-dead gorgeous mule palm. One of the things I like about it is that the leaves are perfectly flat and not twisted as seen with many other mules.

• Manalto
      By Manalto
      I'm not at the house at the moment but my neighbor sent me this photo of my mule palm that has been in the ground about a year. I guess it had blown over in the wind. He staked it for me.
      I noticed, the last time I was there and working in the yard, that it was wobbly. It's in the shade  in the early morning  but  gets full sun for the rest of the day. Are they known for having weak root systems? Any suggestions?