pindo

Saxophone roots

pindo

Hello Friends Happy new year 2013

Can you tell me, (better with pictures) which Sabal spp. have saxophone root ??

Thanks in advance

Jose

post-1464-0-27439400-1357350322_thumb.jp

Stevetoad

I'm pretty sure all of them do

DoomsDave

They all do, from what I can tell. Some get huge in the pots, and bust out the bottom.

pindo

Thanks Steve and Dave

Really, I was not sure that all Sabal sp have saxophone roots. I could not find literature that I clarify this matter.

Can you indicate me some Link ?

Regards

Moose
Thanks Steve and Dave

Really, I was not sure that all Sabal sp have saxophone roots. I could not find literature that I clarify this matter.

Regards

:bummed:

_Keith

Wow, I posted one like this a while ago. It was labeled as something else, but no wonder everyone thought it was a Sabal. And it very well may be.

Moose

Thanks Steve and Dave

Regards

http://www.palmtalk....he-palm-doctor/

Ken Johnson

It's a saxophone trunk, not root. Yes, ALL Sabal have this.

Brahea Axel

Wow, I posted one like this a while ago. It was labeled as something else, but no wonder everyone thought it was a Sabal. And it very well may be.

Keith, are you taking about your "Sabal nobilis"? I am pretty sure you got a sabal, not a bismarckia.

avanza

Agree with Ken :hmm:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      By LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      Sabal ‘Louisiana’ #1
      This little guy is growing slowly but surely. The spear in the middle is starting to make itself more prominent. 

• SEVA
      By SEVA
      I figured I would start a new topic giving an update on some of my palms and other things growing in a Virginia garden.  Now that I've had a little more free time, I've been catching up on quite a bit of weeding and such.  It's still a work in progress.  Hopefully, I can get the photos to load.  Ever since getting a different phone I've had some difficulties uploading photos, so trying the computer.

• buffy
      By buffy
      So we bought this hybrid about 10 years ago as a JuBu. Seemed more BuJu in form, but didn't think much of it.  It's still regrowing its crown. Hasn't flowered in two years. I was looking at it today and realized a few special things:
      1. It survived 8F unprotected. 
      2. This palm sets viable seeds all on its own. Yep folks, self fertile viable seeds.  There's not a mature Butia for miles.

• Chester B
      By Chester B
      After a pretty dry spring we had our first major rainfall in a while.  Over the last day and a half I recorded 1.5" of rain.  It's amazing how things perk up, even though I have been watering all along.  I started work on this garden in the spring of 2017 so it is entering its 3rd year now, and finally starting to look more filled out.  All that remains from when we first bought the house are a few sword ferns, the mimosa tree and some clematis.  The soil is heavy clay and in the winter is quite waterlogged so I have been trying to raise up the beds, improve drainage as well as use plants that can handle these conditions.  I still have a lot more work to do, and will begin on the next phase shortly but thought I'd share another PNW garden.  Thanks for looking!

• clevelandtropicsmaybe
      By clevelandtropicsmaybe
      I've done a lot of research and have gotten few promising results but does anyone think there are any species of palm trees that can survive in the ground in NE Ohio? If anyone in Ohio has seen or knows of any that are already planted or has any pictures, that would be very helpful.
      I live in zone 6b because lake Erie is less than 1 mile away and warms up the cold air a little bit, but it can still stay below freezing with snow for long periods of time.
      The 2 best options that I'm aware of so far are needle palm and sabal minor.