Sign in to follow this  
Halekuma

"Cold" hardier raphia

Halekuma

Hi, which of the more cultivated raphias (farinifera, vinifera, australis, ruwenzorica, sudanica...) could be the "hardiest" (sort of it)...

From what I have read here in palmtalk vinifera is being cultivated in South California and ruwenzorica should be a candidate coming from higher elevations, right?

Regards

Eric in Orlando

So far here R. ruwenzorica has proven the hardiest, next would be R. sudanica. Raffia australis, farinifera and taedigera were killed after the 2009-10 winter.

gilles06

Hi,

Eric, how hardy is R. ruwenzorica ?

Is it grown in the US?

Salut.

Eric in Orlando

I don't know exact hardiness but ours only suffered minor burn, after a night of 29F and a total of 12 nights below freezing (30-32F).

gilles06

Ok Eric, 29F is not enough hardy for my mediteranean area!!

Thank you for the report.

Salut. :winkie:

Phoenikakias

What is the absolute min. in your place Gilles? 29 F equals -1.66 C. Eric, does this Raphia have absolutely any chance in a european-mediterrenean place, where Pritchardia affinis grows (marginally however)?

Halekuma

What is the absolute min. in your place Gilles? 29 F equals -1.66 C. Eric, does this Raphia have absolutely any chance in a european-mediterrenean place, where Pritchardia affinis grows (marginally however)?

Well, it is obvious raphia can grow in european-mediterranean places in spain... In fact, there are southern meditarrean parts of spain bordering zone 11a... (in the last decade already have been 11a, not enough to grow coconuts but almost...)

Pritchardia affinis/maideniana is one of the hardiest pritchardia along P.Minor I think... In fact I think I could grow affinis and Im a zone 9b/10a...

Hillebrandtii grows in Valencia and even in some microclimates of Barcelona (where some winters -2/-3 C is not unusual)

Edited by Halekuma

gilles06

Hi Phoenikakias, unfortunately my winters are colder than 29F, usually -2°C or -3°C and mini historical 19°F (-7°C).

Hi Halekuma,

Of course Malaga climate seems paradise and should be ok for Raphia and many tropical palms!

Salut.

Phoenikakias

Hi Haime,

I was not meaning affinis but actually hillebrandii. I also grow successfully Pritchardia lowreyana (aka macrocarpa), which is to my opinion even cold hardier. Those two Pitchatrdia have spent outplanted in my garden many many years. This winter is gonna be a crash test also for the newly outplanted affinis and martii.

Edited by Phoenikakias

MattyB

I had no luck germinating R. ruenzorika. I've never seen them available for sale.