IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

When To Trim A Bismarck?

honda03v6

I have a bismarck that has been in the ground for about a year and a half now. I am yet to trim it. Some branches are almost touching the ground but are not completely brown yet. I was told not to trim any branches on these until those branches are pretty much brown and dead. Is this true? I dont mind waiting, but at the same time if I should be trimming them I would like to know. Also with any palm tree is it ok for grass to grow right up to it? If not what should I be doing around the base of the trunk? I have heard mulch, as well as cow manure around the base and then putting shredded pine bark on top of that. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by honda03v6

I have a bismarck that has been in the ground for about a year and a half now. I am yet to trim it. Some branches are almost touching the ground but are not completely brown yet. I was told not to trim any branches on these until those branches are pretty much brown and dead. Is this true? I dont mind waiting, but at the same time if I should be trimming them I would like to know. Also with any palm tree is it ok for grass to grow right up to it? If not what should I be doing around the base of the trunk? I have heard mulch, as well as cow manure around the base and then putting shredded pine bark on top of that. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hey brother,

I'd hold off on the cow manure for sure. That stuff is so potent it will green up for a few days and then burn it to a crispy critter. You'd have to really dilute it with other stuff, and it's a difficult guessing game. Try other fertilizers (store bought palm fertilizers, or ask the forum for their suggestions on fertilizers, there's a lot of different options.) As far as grass growing right up to it, I don't see how it would be a problem other than when it comes time to mow, and as the plant gets bigger, it might be a pain to mow. The only health problem i could possibly see would be additives to the lawn, i.e. certain lawn fertilizers might not be too good for palms, especially a bismarckia. A lot of lawn fertilizers are packed with nitrogen and not a whole lot else, which could cause for a deficiency in other essential minerals and nutrients, potentially hurting the palm.

I think you'd be better off giving yourself a little room, I try to keep a two foot radius around my palms, (except washingtonia, that thing can take a beating!) keeping this distance will allow for easier mowing, and mulching! And mulching is never a bad idea! Mulch rocks, especially in my area here, where it's insanely hot and dry in the summer.

Good luck and keep us informed with your plans, and post pics if you can!

FINS!!

-eric

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

Sounds good man, yea it is a pain to mow seeing as the palm branches are hanging to the ground. I will have to make a 2 foot section around it, which like you said may help with any fertilizing going on. I will take some pictures soon and post them. Now what about trimming it? Does it matter when I do it? Should I be waiting till the branches are dead and brown?

Thanks again

ideally you want the whole bottom frond to turn brown before removing. however, if it is just not working for you cosmetically go ahead and remove the bottom fronds.

Mulch is always a good thing for palms. If you use cow manure make sure has been composted first. I would keep any grass away from the trunk so no one comes by with a weed wacker and cuts into the palm trunk.

Great, thanks for your help! I don’t mind them continuing to grow I will just wait until they are completely brown then. Now as far as the mulch goes, is it ok for it to be right up against the trunk, or should I leave some distance between? Thanks again!

We trim our Bizzie - 8+' tall but not trunking yet - when the fronds slap us in the face or try to poke out an eye. In Cape Coral this palm grows fast, sometimes 2-3 fronds at a go, so it doesn't seem to notice. If we waited till each one was fully brown the thing would take over the yard. Someday it will.

But I have a question for Bizzies experts. Ours has been in the ground over 2 years and has grown like mad but we still have to keep the stem staked because palm still wobbles. We expected more root growth to secure it in the ground. Is there something we can/should do to help it stabilize? It gets irrigation and fertilizer from March to November.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Meg,

Bizzies are deep rooting palms with a big "wind sail". If it is growing in rocky ground, the roots may not penetrate and you could end up with a shallow root system, which would cause it to be wobbly. It could also have shallow roots if the dry cycle doesnt go deep into the ground(should be 3' or so). If the fronds are slapping you in the face, either you or the bizzie is in the wrong place. :unsure: An 8' bizzie is a small one, in a few years you wont have to worry about being slapped in the face. Many people dont realize how big they get(20' across) and plant them in a spot that is too crowded. A good growing bizzie will pump out 10-12 fronds a year once the roots are established. I never cut viable fronds off as that will reduce growth rate, and once you get it tall enough, you wont get slapped it the face anymore. Here is a pic of my 5 year old grand daughter(40"tall) in front of one of the bizzies at bush gardens. My 3 bizzies are back in arizona, and have a new owner :( . But I have planted 2 small ones in my current house :) .

Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Very artistic photo!

I look forward to the day my tiny bismarck (9 fronds, 2 feet high) gets trunking.

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Do you have a photograph of your "branching" Bismarkia? I've never seen Bismarkia branches.

D.L.Richardson

Do you have a photograph of your "branching" Bismarkia? I've never seen Bismarkia branches.

little early for snark don't you think?

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

How far do you want to "dumb" this thread down?

As much as it takes for it to be useful for even the most novice of growers, not everyone dawns a gold medallion of palm tree prestige such as yourself. Some of us still have things to learn, and confusing "branches" with fronds is not going to bring the world to a screeching hault, even though you seem to find it to be utmost offensive. I'd suggest breathe in, breathe out, move on....and use your powers for good, and not evil...

• Upvote 1

• 9 years later...

Good Morning.  Our Bismarck had a bit of a shock when planted initially. We have been nursing it along now since Feb. Now that the frond is completely  dead, how far do we want to prune down stem? As far down to base or no? It is actually the tallest frond growing so we dont want to leave a huge stem but on the other hand do not want to cause anymore damage to it. Thanks in Advance. Have a great Day.