Sign in to follow this  
Got Palms

Dog Pee

Got Palms

Maybe i missed a previous topic so please bare with me if this has been asked before, but should i discourage my dogs from urinating in my planters and on the base of my palms, is thier urine harmful to the soil and or palms. My palnters are heavily mulched with about a four inch layer of redwood bark. Thanks in advance for any help. Sergio

TikiRick

Sergio,

I have always had a garden, and I have always had a dog (or two). Dog urine is highly acidic and will IMMEDIATELY kill a palm, especially if the palm is a small one. What is typical is that the dog will mark its spot, and continually come back to the same area to urinate. This repeated soil drenching of acidic urine will kill any and all plant material.

There are products on the market for dogs (and cats I presume) that will buffer the acid in the urine. It is a natural, organic product derived from garlic I believe. It works, but the side effects can be dangerous for their kidneys...and the product is expensive and can take up to three tablets per day for a large dog.

You CAN train your dog to mark a spot where YOU desire, with time, they will go to that area to urinate. This is what I did with my puppy, but I am sure with effort, you can do it with an adult dog too. A stake, a fence area, a rock, etc will serve this purpose.

Human urine, on the other hand, is not as acidic, and has been shown to be quite beneficial to palms...but that's another posting!

Good luck. :D

Tyrone

I think I know why some of my Linospadix just start dying after growing vigorously. It has to be my dogs.

Tyrone

Jim in Los Altos

Dog urine is VERY high in nitrogen. It's like dumping a pile of ammonium nitrate on you palm. Small palms can't take much but large established ones are tougher to hurt. I have two collies but they know the bedding areas are off limits. They "go" in the river rock and gravel or wait 'til their walk.

Xenon

Sergio,

I have always had a garden, and I have always had a dog (or two). Dog urine is highly acidic and will IMMEDIATELY kill a palm, especially if the palm is a small one. What is typical is that the dog will mark its spot, and continually come back to the same area to urinate. This repeated soil drenching of acidic urine will kill any and all plant material.

There are products on the market for dogs (and cats I presume) that will buffer the acid in the urine. It is a natural, organic product derived from garlic I believe. It works, but the side effects can be dangerous for their kidneys...and the product is expensive and can take up to three tablets per day for a large dog.

You CAN train your dog to mark a spot where YOU desire, with time, they will go to that area to urinate. This is what I did with my puppy, but I am sure with effort, you can do it with an adult dog too. A stake, a fence area, a rock, etc will serve this purpose.

Human urine, on the other hand, is not as acidic, and has been shown to be quite beneficial to palms...but that's another posting!

Good luck. :D

Urine is a lot cheaper then fertillizer...and better for the environment.

:D Jonathan

peachy

As the mother of 2 furry boys, unkindly referred to as dogs by the ill educated masses, I must say that one than one of my palms have suffered a tinkle or 2. Purely for hygeine purposes, I generally give them a squirt with the hose to rinse it away and no ill effects are suffered. Big inground palms make their own arrangements.

Peachy

• Upvote 1

John Case

I had a small new planting of a dwarf bamboo that was easily killed by my dog releiving himself (the same one that unplugged the drip sprayer in a previous story). Mr. Clumsy got another stern lecture and I withheld nummies for a week....

PalmatierMeg

Glad to learn all this. I would think that cat pee is as bad or worse. Now I'm not quite as bummed that we have become allergic to animals and can no longer have pets.

Mike Evans

I do not know about dog urine, but I go green & pee on a palm. I figure I save 1000's of gallons of water a year, not to mention adding a little fertilizer. Should this be another thread?

• Upvote 1

ThunderSRQ

I do not know about dog urine, but I go green & pee on a palm. I figure I save 1000's of gallons of water a year, not to mention adding a little fertilizer. Should this be another thread?

And, when visiting Mike's place, you will actually be encouraged to pee on a palm...rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gifwink-1.gif

• Upvote 1

sur4z

I've got a bottle palm that looks like it's on steroids. There is no explanation other than my golden retriever pees on it every day.

mrbiggs.jpg

Moose

Me too. blush.gif

JASON M

My dog has peed in this one spot the whole time we have lived here.... it is brown yellow dead grass now....

PalmatierMeg

Please

BeaumontTropics

I don't know about dog pee either, but if mine harms palms then my chamerops is in serious trouble!

• Upvote 1

Got Palms

Thamks 4 all the replys, will try to keep the dogs off the planters and high legging the palms!

DoomsDave

Dog pee definitely hurts plants. Very high in urea; first bruns the grass, then the grass grows like crazy.

Cat pee is almost as bad, though most cats are pretty small, so there's not so much, and relatively little damage, compared to a moose-like Great Dane.

People pee is no problem. For palms, grass, etc.

Got Palms

Sort of solved the problem i think temporarly. my neighbor brought his dog over and we let him pee at certain locations away from planters, for now my dogs will only pee where his dog relieved himself, ill probably have to invite him and his dog over after every rain.

• Upvote 1