Phil

Give Us Your One-Liner

Phil

There is such a thing as the perfect universal potting soil for all parts of the world.

Archontophoenix purpurea is less cold hardy than A. cunninghamiana.

The purple discoloration of a young Bismarckia seen after winter is quite commonly seen when Bismarckia experience cold.

Bismarckia and Brahea armata do better along the beach than inland where it's hotter.

Phil

Howeadypsis
Larry,

Maybe over there, but not here. Our politicians here only tell the truth.

(true or false?)

Phil

Hmmm the words Politician and Truth in the same sentence? ;)

DoomsDave
Larry,

Maybe over there, but not here. Our politicians here only tell the truth.

(true or false?)

Phil

First:

Define truth, or falsity.

Or politician . . . .

Moose

As per Bill's direction:

Does Bill just hang out at all palm sales :rolleyes: ?

from Jungle Music Sale pictures.

Phil
As per Bill's direction:

Does Bill just hang out at all palm sales :rolleyes: ?

from Jungle Music Sale pictures.

I'd say that statement would be true.

Phil

avb

"These are Hawaiian Queens, they don't get big like the ones grown here in California."

_Keith

This palm is perfect for our climate. Don't worry about the cold at all. It'll sail right through it.

Phil

I want one of those palm trees that grows in threes; you know, three trunks.

Tall palms are bad for outdoor pot growing because wind will blow them over.

(From random newbie at the nursery while looking at most rare of palm species) Oh, I already have all of these; don't you have any rare ones?

(From wife of random newbie at the nursery while looking at Carpoxylon) Oh Hubby, you already have one of those; you know, it's out by the Pineapple palm.

Phil

Phil

pelagodoxa_sp_002_(seed).gif

Pelagodoxa henryana seeds were an effective weapon used during tribal wars in the South Pacific.

The first baseball game in Fiji in 1947 used a Pelagodoxa seed as the baseball, but the practice was abandoned because of broken bats and concussions.

Falling Pelagodoxa seeds are the number one killer of tourists in the natural habitat.

Pelagodoxa henryana seeds were named after Henry Ford, the automotive pioneer and founder of the Ford Motor Company.

Phil

avb

"It must be something about riding in a car. Every time I take one home, it dies." Al Prince describing experiences with Dypsis tsaravoasira.

Walter John

I don't really need another palm, I don't actually have enough room for another palm, so I won't get any more.

Walter John

The IPS is going to cover all my costs and Paul's (pohonkelapa) costs, that's all travel and accommodation, to the next two biennials because we will "value add" to the events, including performing live on stage, things and music and stuff. :unsure:

Peter Pacific

¨AAhhhh, that´s a fishtail...what a pain in the ass that is¨ A visitor to my garden said as she was looking at my Arenga pinnata seedling.

Howeadypsis
First:

Define politician . . . .

A man or woman in a suit who thinks he or she knows what the people of his country want but is invariably wrong

Palmgrover

I don't need a royal palm. I already have a King and a Queen palm, Isn't that royalty enough?

Kathryn

Cutting the older leaves will make you palm grow taller faster.

Phil

Beccariophoenix madagascarensis "windows"

becarriophoenix_madagascariensis_002.gif

Beccariophonix madagascarensis sp. "windows" was the first Becariphoenix species that most growers had experience with in the U.S.

Beccariophoenix madagascarensis sp. "windows" got it's name because of the windows in the leaf, somewhat like Reinhardtia gracilis has "windows" in its leaf.

reinhardtia_gracilis_002.gif

It will end up that Beccariophoenix madagascarensis sp. "windows" is the real Beccariphoenix madagascarensis and we're only waiting for John Dransfield to describe it.

Beccariophoenix madagascarensis "no windows" is not nearly as interesting because one doesn't have those cute little windows to look at.

becarriophoenix_sp_no_windows001_detail.GIF

Phil

palmazon
When we stopped providing beer at our Sales at Jungle Music many years ago, I got three complaints from those people one might anticipate would complain.

What're yew sayin'???

Phil

Dan,

It was a liability issue. Several times over the years I got reports of people who probably drank too much. It was easier to stop the practice than try to police such people.

Phil

Now a one liner:

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis bulge at the bottom of the trunk whereas H. verschafeltii bulge in the middle of(further up) the trunk.

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis:

hyophorbe_lagenicaulis_002.GIF

H. verschafeltii:

hyophorbe_verschafeltii_0010.gif

Thus the Bottle goes from fat to thinner as you go from the bottom up. The Spindle does the opposite; it gets fatter as you go up the trunk. (typical findings)

Phil