IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

April Weather Thread

ruskinPalms

Also....looks like the weather guys must be listening to Ray as I see the forecasts appear to now be bumped up into the lower 70's.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Andy Johnson (Fox 13) actually had 46F for his Tuesday morning forecast last night.  I had to laugh.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

It looks like we are transitioning into the rainy season here.  The last few days have been cloudy and we had rain last night.  Last year around this time it happened the same way.  It went from being sunny everyday to being cloudy everyday almost overnight.  I'm kind of relieved in a way, the cloudcover keeps it much more comfortable.  I welcome it after the relentless afternoon heat of Feb and March.  I am going to Philly next week and I hope it's not too cold up there!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

(Ray @ Tampa,Apr. 11 2008,06:31)

Andy Johnson (Fox 13) actually had 46F for his Tuesday morning forecast last night.  I had to laugh.

Tonight wx-r said it could dip into the low 40's overnight early next week.

will hafta haul c. renda back into the house.  sure wish I'd planted it in a pot - with wheels!   :P

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Apr temps so far this month at my location.

H    L

1   86  64

2  78  62  

3  85  68  

4  76  58  

5  81  45  

6  84  55  

7  88  66  

8  89  70  

9  80  71  

10  88  60

AV 83.5 61.9

"Just another upper 80s April day in hot San Antonio"

(SunnyFl @ Apr. 11 2008,21:06)

will hafta haul c. renda back into the house.  sure wish I'd planted it in a pot - with wheels!   :P

After reading this I just went to check my forecast.  Lows Tues and Wed of 43 and 49 respectively with highs in the upper 60s.  Not enough to harm anything I have, and I think I might even enjoy the cool weather.   Fire up the BBQ and drink a glass or two (or more) of wine.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

As I headed across town for a meeting yesterday afternoon the sky in the area where I was going was very black and for sure it was pouring.  It did not take long for me to drive into it.  It had been sunny and dry for a few days.  But, the rainy season regime is still here for a while and soon the rain returns.

110420081859.jpg

110420081860.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

(keiththibodeaux @ Apr. 12 2008,00:07)

(SunnyFl @ Apr. 11 2008,21:06)

After reading this I just went to check my forecast.  Lows Tues and Wed of 43 and 49 respectively with highs in the upper 60s.  Not enough to harm anything I have, and I think I might even enjoy the cool weather.   Fire up the BBQ and drink a glass or two (or more) of wine.

I'm with you Keith. Sounds like a great idea!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

48F forcast for monday night and 45F forcast for tuesday night. Should not be a big deal.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(amazondk @ Apr. 12 2008,07:16)

As I headed across town for a meeting yesterday afternoon the sky in the area where I was going was very black and for sure it was pouring.  It did not take long for me to drive into it.  It had been sunny and dry for a few days.  But, the rainy season regime is still here for a while and soon the rain returns.

Lucky you.... Don & Jeff. No more rain for me for the next 6 months. It is definitely more pleasant to work in the garden with the dry wind, but sure won't beat rain!! I love rain!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, I love the rain too!  You have to love the rain to live here.  After the short dry season, I look forward to the rain again (and so do my palms!).  Although I do get a little stir crazy when we have 3 or 4 days in a row of torrential rain  :angry:

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Try... 2-3 weeks, Jeff. That is what we usually get during monsoon.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Amazing. It only got down to about 63F here at my place this morning while there are personal weather stations reporting upper 40s and low 50s no more than 5 miles inland from me. Most of Orlando saw upper 40s and low 50s this morning too. The NW winds all night were really moderated by the gulf and bay as long as you were not more than 4 miles from the coast.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

add 5 degrees to tonight's forecasted lows

(ruskinPalms @ Apr. 14 2008,07:18)

Amazing. It only got down to about 63F here at my place this morning while there are personal weather stations reporting upper 40s and low 50s no more than 5 miles inland from me. Most of Orlando saw upper 40s and low 50s this morning too. The NW winds all night were really moderated by the gulf and bay as long as you were not more than 4 miles from the coast.

Same here Bill....winds from the NW are my favorite for sure.

Larry 

(Ray, Tampa @ Apr. 14 2008,09:08)

add 5 degrees to tonight's forecasted lows

Now youre on the hook Ray....you made your prediction 100% official  :D

For Weather.com says 48F tonight and NWS says 53F.

I think NWS might ne thinking along the same lines as you.

Larry 

Hi Larry,

Let's just say we will not slip into the 40's tonight.  The airport is already warmer this afternoon than expected.

Ray

I didn't note the morning temp here, but it was crisp, low 40s.  It is only 60 right now at nearly 2pm.  Projected tonight of 39 which I am pretty sure we will hit.

And IT FEELS GOOD, TOO.

This is the time of year to get that hard physical work done.  I was sweating this last weekend.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

(keiththibodeaux @ Apr. 14 2008,14:31)

Projected tonight of 39 which I am pretty sure we will hit.

And IT FEELS GOOD, TOO.

30 anything never feels good Keith!

Larry 

I'm with you, Larry......... Actually nighttime lows below 60f feel like crap to me....  Tonight we're supposed to get down to 38f, but after wednesday, it's  a huge warmup....

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(Ray, Tampa @ Apr. 14 2008,12:51)

Hi Larry,

Let's just say we will not slip into the 40's tonight.  The airport is already warmer this afternoon than expected.

Ray

Ray-

The NWS is reading your posts.  Theyve changed their forecast to 56F for tonight for 34689.

Larry 

62F was our low in New Port Richey, but the temp hit 58F as I pulled into campus in Hudson this morning at 7am. When I got home it was ALL the way up to68F but the low humidity and breeze has made it feel chilly! Greg  good sleeping weather :-)) as a silver lining

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

It managed to get up to about 73F for a high today. NOAA has 51F for my forcast tonight and then 46F for tomorrow night. I bet they come close this time as the winds will be shifting more out of the northeast over the next couple of nights. The gulf water temp was in the mid 70s prior to these cold fronts so the NW winds were definitely moderated last night. I looked at personal weather stations this morning and there were mid 40s all the way down to Alligator Alley in the interior west side of the state. Low to mid 60s all the way along the coast to maybe 5 miles inland from Naples all the way to New Port Richey or so.There was a 45F right smack in the middle of the everglades this morning. In North Port 46F to 47F was the norm and in Orlando 47F to 51F eoncompassed about 75% of the readings. Tampa Proper was in the mid 50s. Brandon was in the upper 40s. Most of Pinellas county was in the low to mid 60s. I always find these windy cool events interesting because it really pinpoints where some of the better growing zones are since the worst freezes tend to be wind driven. Had this been Dec or Jan, we may have been looking at upper 20s again in the interior...

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(spockvr6 @ Apr. 14 2008,14:41)

And IT FEELS GOOD, TOO.

30 Celsius is ok.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

fotos of todays weather. car thermometer show 30 -34 C / 86 - 93 F. humiditey may be 30%, more then in the last days. we now have several days more warmer weather. not any clouds any where.

i agree with don in amazonia.....can more people please put fotos with the posts of the weather ?  we are from many different places in the world, the fotos say much more then only the words !

show your city and weather !

i drive much in the work and most the time have the camera.

in this hotel, theme maya, they plant many palms, in the plaza in the inside theres many roystonea. looks ok but need to care more better for the palms - 2 palms with no crowns !

140408a.jpg

jesus christ statue

140408b.jpg

view of colonia el guaycura ampliación (name of neighborhood). we have much rain in this winter i think 250-270 MM / 10-11 inchs, but now the greens of 2 months of grass is gone and the brown of the coast desert is here and stay until it rains again in the next winter.....may be ! in some winters theres little rain and the land is brown, dry all the year.

140408c.jpg

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

(spockvr6 @ Apr. 14 2008,13:41)

And IT FEELS GOOD, TOO.

I admit it, you were right.  I went out there just now and it hurt.  I felt that depression again, the one I only feel in the winter.

Sure glad summer will back in a couple of days.

Cristóbal,

It would be great for more people to post pictures of the days weather.  Thanks for your pictures.  In the second picture is the guy changing the gasoline price?  I take most of my pictures with my cell phone now which makes it easy to get real time images.  I don't even take my digital camera out much anymore.  What is your yearly rainfall?

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

don we have rainfall average of 9 inches / 230 MM year. in most years it is less but el niño years every 4-5 years make the average more higher. we have 5 palms natives in baja california, the 2 washingtonias and 3 braheas, all desert palms.

the guy in foto # 2 i think he just fix the sign - PEMEX (petroloeos mexicanos) does not put the price of gas it is always the same about $2.50/gallon USD. it changes one time every year or two years, as ajust for inflation.

we now have this great technology to transmit fotos in the instant, with cell phone or digital camera. 10 years ago this did not exist.

we should use it.

it is wonderful i can see the rain today in your area in amazonia, thank to this technology. or a storm in florida. snow in netherlands.  rainbow in texas.

text is good to talk about weather, but fotos take you to the place to help you experience it.

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

(keiththibodeaux @ Apr. 14 2008,20:47)

(spockvr6 @ Apr. 14 2008,13:41)

And IT FEELS GOOD, TOO.

I admit it, you were right.  I went out there just now and it hurt.  I felt that depression again, the one I only feel in the winter.

Sure glad summer will back in a couple of days.

No worries.....its so late in the year that this is just a blip!

Ray was right about the forecast here.....Its a a bit fresh out there at 53F this AM, but we stayed out of the 40's.  From the looks of my weather station plots, the temp probably would have stayed around 60F if the winds did not shift NE from NW.

Larry 

Larry,

Ray's Weather Service (RWS) is much obliged.

Ray

Woke up to 39 today as promised by WS.  

20 miles north in Lafayette, the radio was resporting patchy frost, but none down at my place.

Dropped to about 51 last night...Damn NE wind... Very slow to warm up today due to all the clouds hanging around.

Cool pictures Cristóbal! I will take some town pics when one of these days. I will probably head out on my bike to do this and today is not a nice day...Too cool!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

If the forecasts are in the ballpark, it looks like well have two more cold nights down here before this crap blows out.

Larry 

april 14th morning low of 47 on my meter. Just checked the meter this morning and had a low of 38.9, currently at 10am its 48 on my meter.

I had packed up the winter jackets only to realize the last 2 days ive needed them. ???

the strong sunshine helps combat the cooler dry air though.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Woke up to 39 today as promised by WS.  

20 miles north in Lafayette, the radio was resporting patchy frost, but none down at my place.

Hey Keith... I got you beat by one degree... I woke up to 38... no frost either - thank god...

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

There were some upper 30s in Hernando and Citrus counties, upper 40s to around 50 in Tampa - low 50s interbay Tampa, mid to upper 40s in Orlando and Brandon, Low to mid 50s in Pinellas county and within 3 to 4 miles of the bays, harbours and gulf all along west coast of FL from Hudson to Naples, right around 49 to 50 in most of North Port and more inland Cape Coral, inland areas of Ft. Myers and Naples and throughout the everglades. Much less of a spread in temps last night since the winds switched to the North and then the North East.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

My guess is a a few degrees colder tonight....just a hunch!

Larry 

WOW...I think some record low highs must have been set around FL today....only 3 official stations even got out of the 60's!  And, as one might guess, all of these were in the Keys.

Larry 

I  have to double check, but I think we broke our record for all time low by one degree this morning.  Tonight projected low is in upper 40s and then it is pretty much back to summer.

And WE NEED SOME RAIN.   I am running sprinklers already.

It did get down to about 46 one night during this last cold snap here, but it is definitely back to summer here with mid 80s at day and mid 60s at night. No rain though. Probably won't be seeing any of that for another month now......

Edited by ruskinPalms

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B