IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

They came as Ravenea rivularis but...

Carlo Morici

"Viveros Subtropicales", in Valle Guerra (Tenerife), is growing thousands of these seedlings. They are two years old.

The seeds were purchased as Ravenea rivularis, but they think they are not because they know well R.rivularis and say that it should be different and much larger at this age.

I really do not know, but I am sure some of you may give an opinion

Carlo

P1010013_redimensionar.jpg

P1010016_redimensionar-1.jpg

P1010018_redimensionar.jpg

P1010017_redimensionar.jpg

It looks as though they may not be Ravenea at all, possibly Masoala or Marojejya insignis.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Hi Carlo,

Both  appear to be starting formation of a heel.  Thats certainly a characteristic of Ravenea, and the petiole bases are shaped  like ravenea....About the spotted petioles,  I am not sure at all.   In view of Christians opinion,  suggest you wait for them to go pinnate... if they do !

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Hi Carlo,

If it's forming a heel it aint R rivularis, but it could be one of the other Ravenea's. From the looks of it I'd say it isn't R sambiranensis or glauca. Just at a wild guess it could be R robustior.

Do you remember what the seed looked like?

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

(cfkingfish @ Dec. 26 2007,15:08)

It looks as though they may not be Ravenea at all, possibly Masoala or Marojejya insignis.

I agree.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Carlo,

I have a crop of about 100 plants that are identical in size and looks, right down to the black spots on the petioles. They came in as Ravenea krociana. I'll try and get a picture for you.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I thought Masoala when I saw those.  I've never seen M. insignis.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Thank you friends for all the useful wild-guessing. Today I met the grower and he told me they trusted the seeds because they looked like Ravenea rivularis. Does this help to exclude more species or genera?

Also, I posted the same pictures in the Spanish palm forum and Carlos Simón replied with pictures of his seedlings of Ravenea sp. Giant because they look similar. Here it is: http://www.infojardin.com/foro/showthread.php?t=67397

Jeff, please show your R. krociana.

Carlo

They looked like the results of what I purchased from Ortanique as the "giant" Ravenia. Joseph Prabakar sent me a photo from habitat. If I have his permission, I will post it.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Hi,

Here are some closeup´s pictures of Ravenea sp. "Giant"

Mike, I´d like to see your picture to know what I´m going to have in the future  :;):

Regards,

Carlos

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

Now we are waiting for three pictures!

- Jeff's pictures of R. krociana seedlings

- Joseph's picture of the adult R.sp.Giant.

- Carlos Simon full-sized avatar  :laugh:

Carlo

I'll assume Joseph's OK. Here is his pic of Ravenia "giant". Not too good a pic, but gives some idea. I wasn't aware of any "mealy bug" markings but I never really looked for them. Otherwise, mine are like the seedlings in post 1. I'll get a pic of my seedlings in the next few days.

post-279-1198891458_thumb.jpg

Mike Merritt

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Nick where did you get that one?

I may have a 15 gal sized one, I'll have to take a pic.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Here's what I have as Ravenea Krociana.  Looks identical!
Yes, It´s R. krociana for sure. I´ll ask to Paul to keep some plants for me  :P  :P
full-sized avatar

I don´t think the god "bimbache" allows me  :D  :cool:

Mike, thank you for the picture!

That´s curious, it seems that this palm lives in an ecological similar situation to R. rivularis. Typhonodorum lindleyanum only lives in swampy areas!

Regards,

Carlos

Here is what I recently bought as R. species "giant" from JD Andersen at his nursery in Hawaii.

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Dave, that looks really nice!

I was gonna post my "similar" palms here, but I thought a new thread?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(ellidro @ Dec. 29 2007,04:10)

Here's what I have as Ravenea Krociana.  Looks identical!

"Identical" is the word!

Here are some more pictures of larger Ravenea krociana, stolen from other threads in Palmtalk:

Phil Bergman's picture from "Encinitas Sightings at Nursery".

586w2873.jpg

Jeff Searle's picture from "Madagascar Expedition 06"

post-12-08631-IMG_1046.JPG

Now there is one more step to walk on. According to Palms of Madagascar, seed sizes are the following:

R.rivularis   5.5-6 x 5.5 mm

R.krociana  18-20 x 16-21 mm

How did they confuse seeds if there is such a dramatical difference in size?   ???

The plants I have at home don't have any seed remain left, I should check the ones at the nursery.

Carlo

Here are pictures of my "giants", a little superfluous after Dave's posting of Jerry Anderson's plants. And they do have the same medium brown mealy bug markings. And are developing "heels". Seeds were 0.35 inch (0.9 cm) in diameter.

post-279-1198995457_thumb.jpg

Mike Merritt

And here are the mealy bug markings.

post-279-1198995536_thumb.jpg

Mike Merritt

Ravenea krociana is reported in Palms of Madagascar growing in one location at about 500 m on the SE tip of Madagascar. A good candidate for resisting cold and wet conditions. Any experience?

Why is Ravenea sp.Giant not one more collection of the widespread R.robustior? Where is it from?

Carlo

• 1 year later...

I am back to the same plants, more than a year later. Those palms grew a bit and the nursery donated some of them to the Palmetum. Here are some recent pictures.

So what do you think? R.krociana, R.sp.Giant?

RIMG0013.jpg

RIMG0016.jpg

RIMG0017-1.jpg

Carlo, those are looking good!!

Since this started, I've heard that giant and krociana may be the same...dunno.

They're wonderful what ever they are . . . .

Will they ship to Califonria in the USA?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Carlo - I got one of Jeff Searle's Ravenea krociana. It is in a 7 gallon and ready to go in the ground. Although it is much larger than the palms in your pictures they appear to be the same species. :drool:

Jeff and/or Bill, what is your opinion? :rolleyes:

Ron.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I was kinda alluding to that in my post... (poorly)

I just got in a heap of R krociana seed and it's meant to be a large seed, bigger than robustior and rivularis. If the seed is 0.9cm in diameter that grew those palms it's probably something else, as the seed I got were up to 2cm + long. Also R krociana has generally more than one seed per fruit, so the seed can need 2 or maybe 3 seed to form a sphere if you know what I mean, with a sharp bit at one end. Is that what the seed for these plants looked like or were they round. If they were round and 0.9cm in diameter, no wonder they thought they were R rivularis when the seed was collected becasue that's what they look like. However R rivularis doesn't get a heel, or get those markings.

They're nice plants.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

They look just like my kroc. Be happy...a kroc costs 3 times as much as a rivularis anyway!!!!!

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Tyrone, more than a year ago they told me the seed was confused with R.rivularis. I might ask again, but memory can fade away, as well as any seeds attached to the seedlings.

Peachy, they are much slower than rivularis... see they are 3,5 years old, well grown in a nursery. R.rivularis would me much, much larger.

Dave, they ship abroad those palms through the website www.canarius.com ... I don't think they sell outside Europe.

Now, I wander where should I plant them. I can chose a slope, regular flat land, or the islet within the main pond. Any idea? A fast-draining slope or the islet with some roots underwater?!?

Suggestions?

Carlo

Carlo I planted them out in December on flat land and in full sun.

They must have suffered from the coldest winter we had in 40 years but they are alive and well, albeit very yellow.

They are in active growth again here is a photo from March

Conclusion:they are quite hardy but do need heavy feeding, maybe I should use more fertilizer

post-37-1246304931_thumb.jpg

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Carlo - If my memory serves me correctly, Ravenea krociana in habitat grows as an understory palm until it becomes robust and emerges from the canopy. This being said, it would make sense to provide semi-shade in warm to hot climate areas while it is a juvenile. Like most Ravenea ssp.'s this palm likes water. Mine is in a 7 gallon container with a saucer under it, leaving it's feet wet constantly. Prior to adding the saucer, the newly emerging fronds were diminishing in size. This was happening even with a healthy dose of nuticote added months earlier. The addition of the saucer provide immediate results with the next emerging frond.

My recommendation is to position this palm in an area in the garden that will provide it adequate water. I am unfamilar with the sun intensities of the Canary Islands so that is a variable that you will need to address.

Kindest regards, :)

Ron

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Charles,

Something like that happened to me. I had at my place two potted plants from this batch and this winter they turned quite yellow, and even produced a leaf with some necrosis. Rather than yellow it was a very pale green, almost white. I thought it was probably lack of nutrients in the pot, rather than cold (maaany nights at 10 C). They were transplanted about one month ago, and they are green and growing now.

Ron,

Thank you for the information. I will think about it. Pond or slope, both can have adequate water, as much as we want every 2 or 3 days, but drainage would be much different. As for sunlight, it is quite intense, but temperatures are never too hot, so I think we can plant them in full sun, and we can shade them during the first two years with our portable tents of shade cloth.

Carlo

I cannot imagine these are R. krociana, the seeds are not even remotely like R. rivularis but more than 10 times as big, you would notice immediately. The only large Ravenea I know that have small seeds are R. rivularis, R. sambiranensis and R. madagascariensis. Best, TOBY

Thank you Toby, for your reply from a seed-expert. My experience with this genus is very basic.

I will ask them again about the seeds that originated this plants.

Carlo

• 1 month later...

Decision taken. Whatever they are, three of them are now planted in the ground. One is by the Malgasy lake and two in an islet within the lake. A fourth is waiting in the greenhouse.

...So I asked my boss what will we do if we will ever get a R.musicalis and she said: Go further, we will just build a new islet! :)

Carlo

• 4 years later...