IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis bejofo?

jdapalms

Below are some pictures of what is being cultivated here in a Hawaii as Dypsis bejofo. I recently collected 9 seed from the Sullivan garden in Kapoho which is near sea level about 15 minutes from Leilani estates. This is the first time that this palm has set viable seed here in Hawaii.

From the description of Dypsis bejofo in POM I do not think that this palm is D bejofo.

From POM:

Seed: ellipsoid, black, deeply grooved, 17-23 x 15-20.5 mm

This description does not match this seed which is globose, brown and not grooved.

The question is what is this palm? Is it something not described? The palms pictured are from my garden here in Leilani estates. The palm that the seed was collected from in Kapoho does not look as healthy as do the palms look at the higher elevation of Leilani estates. The largest Palm that I know of is at the Lundkvist garden (Bo post a picture of your largest one) Which has not flowered as of yet. For the sake of a name I guess we will continue to use the incorrect name until more information becomes available.

9.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI

You're right. Definitely not bejofo with that seed. I've got 3 seedlings from what look like the real seed. Still too small to really tell what it should look likeyet.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Jerry,

based on the general description in POM I have been convinced for quite some time that this is indeed a different palm (i.e. NOT D. bejofo) and your seed description only confirms this. I believe it was Clayton who recently mentioned that he refers to this palm as Dypsis sp. bejofa, to separate it from the "real" bejofo.

Furthermore, I also believe that all the ones we have growing here in Hawaii (and maybe on the U.S. mainland as well??) are from one and the same seed batch. I have a total of 32 of these in the ground, and this is the history (which also shows why it's a great idea to buy palms when they are small and cheap!!).

Bo-Göran

Batch #1: 3 1G bejofas from Kapoho Kai Nursery in Jan. 1996. $10 each. These were planted in July 1996, and are JUST now getting to the point of forming a trunk. No picture available as all 3 are planted among other palms.

Batch #2 (for those of you who've been here - this group of 5 individuals are right across the driveway from the house). Acquired from Kapoho Kai in 1997 and 1998 in 5G pots ($35 each), and planted at that time. These are my tallest ones, and the one in the photo below has about a foot and a half of trunk. Overall height easily 35 ft - BUT these palms are a little bit stretched out because of taller trees all around. They are also planted in very rocky conditions with hardly any soil.

Batch #3 - most of these came from Hawaii Palm Company in July 2001 in 5G pots. $40 each. Before I planted these I had numerous truckloads of cinder-soil brought in so the soil here is probably at least 2 ft deep. Photo in the NEXT post. Because of more direct exposure to rainfall AND plenty of soil this group has been the fastest growing of all three, and a few individuals already show a little bit of trunk. In all likelihood, by next summer, some of the faster ones in this group will have more trunk than the largest ones in batch #2 (planted 3-4 years earlier).

And, Jerry, as you know, you and I bought a few more in July 2002 and April 2003 when we visited Hawaii Palm Company. They were now in 15G pots (and $125 each!). And I think that was probably the last of the first bejofa seed batch, which presumably was germinated in very early 1995.

post-22-1196385127_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And here's "Batch #3", or at least some of the individuals in that group, which consists of 24 Dypsis sp. bejofas.

post-22-1196385232_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Jerry,

In your photos, it looks like there is still some sort of covering on the seed.  There is some sort of "groovy" looking pattern underneath.  All the people in the know have told me those palms are not the true bejofo, so I agree with you, but I am curious whehter there is any grooved pattern on those seed if you cleaned another layer off.

I'm partly curious because I have a seedling of "Dypsis bejofo" from Floribunda about a year ago and the seed is still attached and is clearly, deeply grooved (like a brain).  I was actually hoping it was "bejofa" and not the true D bejofo since the true bejofo (at least in the Marcus garden) is not nearly as nice as "bejofa".

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

I have two cents worth to contribute - OK, maybe one and a half. In the late 90's in Florida, I bought a "Dypsis bejofo" in a 3-gal pot. Never saw the seed it came from. Kept it for a couple years before it expired, like a lot of Dypsis did for me in Florida. Now, the striking thing about this juvenile is that the leaves spread out almost flat in a plane from the center. I saw several others of the same species, and they had this same characteristic. The largest one I saw, on sale by Rick Kern at the West Palm Beach sale, showed the leaves raising up somewhat, but still not having a vertical orientation. Did any of the plants mentioned in previous posts show this juvenile characteristic? POM is no help because they don't describe plants between eophyll and mature size.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Bo, is there a phone number for Hawaii Palm Company? Or a website? I doubt website since I googled it.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

It is great to see that one of these palms in Hawaii has finally set seed, I thought Bo's would be the first. I have agreed with your assessment for quite some time, this is not the true Bejofo and it is a real stunning palm unlike the true species. I have one in a 15 gallon container that is one of my top prized palms and I probably won't plant it here in So Cal until it reaches the top of my greenhouse. I hope yours and Bo's set seed soon, this should be in everyones collection.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Matt,

There is no other layer on the seed but there is a pattern on the seed as the picture shows.

How did the name of "bejofa" come about for this palm? Maybe Clayton can chime in on this.

Mike,

I have not seen this palm in the juvenile stages of growth as of yet.  I purchased four 15gal size palms in 2002 maybe Bo can recall what they looked like when he planted his back in 96.

Gary, you are so right, this is one spectacular palm and hopefully more seed will be happening soon.

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI

Len,

I don't know if there's a website for Hawaii Palm Company, but the phone number is 808-889-5323. Ask for Peter "Palm" Messmer. He's been running the nursery since way before I moved to Hawaii. They're located in Kapaau, all the way up north on the island. About 30 minutes drive north of Waimea and 2 hours from Hilo.

Mike,

Here's a photo of one at a younger age. I don't have any photos of any smaller ones (didn't have a digital camera back then!), but if I recall correctly, the 1G plants looked pretty much like this one here, only smaller!

Bo-Göran

post-22-1196401545_thumb.jpg

The true bejofo is plumose, ne? I had always assumed everything sold as D. bejofo in the seed world was not the true form.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

(Matt in SD @ Nov. 29 2007,18:58)

Jerry,

In your photos, it looks like there is still some sort of covering on the seed.  There is some sort of "groovy" looking pattern underneath.  All the people in the know have told me those palms are not the true bejofo, so I agree with you, but I am curious whehter there is any grooved pattern on those seed if you cleaned another layer off.

I'm partly curious because I have a seedling of "Dypsis bejofo" from Floribunda about a year ago and the seed is still attached and is clearly, deeply grooved (like a brain).  I was actually hoping it was "bejofa" and not the true D bejofo since the true bejofo (at least in the Marcus garden) is not nearly as nice as "bejofa".

Matt

Ditto on the Floribunda Bejofo.

I'm wondering if once the seed is germinated and left sitting in the pot for a year or so if it'll dehydrate and the brain pattern will emerge like what Matt and I've seen from the bejofo palms from Floribunda?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(MattyB @ Nov. 30 2007,14:24)

(Matt in SD @ Nov. 29 2007,18:58)

Jerry,

Matt

Ditto on the Floribunda Bejofo.

I'm wondering if once the seed is germinated and left sitting in the pot for a year or so if it'll dehydrate and the brain pattern will emerge like what Matt and I've seen from the bejofo palms from Floribunda?

I've grown seed named D bejofo that has that brain pattern from the beginning. Marojejya darianii has a similar seed structure. The seed pic at the beginning is something else.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 10 months later...
And here's "Batch #3", or at least some of the individuals in that group, which consists of 24 Dypsis sp. bejofas.

Bo, these are sooo beautiful!

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

Bo,

Don't know if you saw my question earlier in the week, but were these bluish in color as 1-2 gallons? :hmm:

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

Clark,

Sorry, missed your earlier question. Definitely no blue. Here's a photo I took a couple of years ago, and even though this one is larger than a 1G or 2G plant it looks pretty much the same (with the same color) as a smaller individual.

Bo-Göran

post-22-1225383299_thumb.jpg

Clark,

Sorry, missed your earlier question. Definitely no blue. Here's a photo I took a couple of years ago, and even though this one is larger than a 1G or 2G plant it looks pretty much the same (with the same color) as a smaller individual.

Bo-Göran

What about when they were 2-3 leafers in 1 gallons or don't you remember :hmm:.

I'm fairly certain that had the same general look with just 3 good fronds. Definitely no difference in coloration.

OK- Its dark here, so forgive the photos. This is known as the "true" Dypsis bejofo. (add question mark here if needed) It has a seed that looks like a little brain. (I know,I saw one when I first got some) It is in a 1 gal pot. (It sat outside almost all of last winter, I think I'll help it in the greenhouse this winter)

post-27-1225419508_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

This palm has ALSO been sold as Dypsis bejofo. (I believe in Australia, sometimes as Dypsis bejofA.) It too, has a seed that looks like a little brain. (Same thing, I have seen the seed with the seedling in the past) This is what BO has.

I think there are SLIGHT differences. Can anyone spot them? :huh: (other than I just put it in a 2 gal pot from a liner) THEY ARE JUST ABOUT THE SAME AGE TOO.

NOW, as to what they will eventually be called, thats a different story, but I'm sure they are a different species.

post-27-1225419639_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

My bejofo looks like the first one.

Best regards

Tyrone

Clark,

Bo-Göran

I hope these are what mine are going to become!! :drool: :drool:

Clark,

Bo-Göran

I hope these are what mine are going to become!! :drool: :drool:

Clark, see the pictures I posted just above as to which you have.

• Like 1

I posted this photo back in June. This is at Floribunda Palms and according to Jeff Marcus this is the true Dypsis bejofo. It's much slower than the D. sp. bejofa/bijouf.

post-22-1225555585_thumb.jpg

I posted this photo back in June. This is at Floribunda Palms and according to Jeff Marcus this is the true Dypsis bejofo. It's much slower than the D. sp. bejofa/bijouf.

These are the ones I have!! I'll call Jeff on his input! Be back!

But Bo this is clearly different than yours:hmm: :hmm: Two different Bejofa....where are the experts :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Who named it...them? their fired!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Clark,

Yes, they ARE different - that's the whole point! :lol: And that's why we are referring to the one that I have as Dypsis sp. bejofa (or bijouf). Sp. bejofa is a much more robust and faster growing palm than the true Dypsis bejofo (assuming the one at Floribunda - above - is the true bejofo).

Bo-Göran

Clark,

Yes, they ARE different - that's the whole point! :lol: And that's why we are referring to the one that I have as Dypsis sp. bejofa (or bijouf). Sp. bejofa is a much more robust and faster growing palm than the true Dypsis bejofo (assuming the one at Floribunda - above - is the true bejofo).

Bo-Göran

Any understanding if they're both membrane seeds?

No idea. Havn't seen the seeds. Maybe someone else can weigh in here....

And a couple of up-to-date photos of some of the individuals in our main Dypsis sp. bejofa grove.

post-22-1225593735_thumb.jpg

post-22-1225593759_thumb.jpg

Bo, That Bejofa grove is one of my favorite parts of your whole garden! I got one of those Bejofo's from Clark as well and I believe it is the palm in post 24 at Jeff Marcus's garden. It is blueish green and has a little white powder already as a seedling! It also has the brain seed attached.

Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Bo, That Bejofa grove is one of my favorite parts of your whole garden! I got one of those Bejofo's from Clark as well and I believe it is the palm in post 24 at Jeff Marcus's garden. It is blueish green and has a little white powder already as a seedling! It also has the brain seed attached.

Steve

That's correct!

• 4 weeks later...
OK- Its dark here, so forgive the photos. This is known as the "true" Dypsis bejofo. (add question mark here if needed) It has a seed that looks like a little brain. (I know,I saw one when I first got some) It is in a 1 gal pot. (It sat outside almost all of last winter, I think I'll help it in the greenhouse this winter)

Happy T day BS Mistro!

Best,

clark