IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coryphas

Daryl

I have always been impressed with the massive size of Coryphas. About 6 years ago I was fortunate to see huge groves of  the native C.utan in nth Queensland. They were growing by the 10s of thousands in the area we visited...definitely not an endangered species there!

Although they get quite tall before flowering and dying, I think they look their best just as they start forming a trunk. Their leaves are largest, and obviously their crowns are largest at that time. To me that is more impressive than overall height.

Here's a photo taken just north of Townsville last year -  C.umbraculifera seedling

Daryl.

post-42-1153744194_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

And here is a particularly orange form of C.utan, which is quite variable in appearance.

post-42-1153744441_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Amazing size, they're as big as houses.

When's Michael going to post something here ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Dear Daryl,

hey iam Kris from india, and i should tell you that i always loved plants which appear massive in its stature,giving a gigantic and awe feeling that it is strange.

Beleive me you made my day.we in india have never seen a fan palm grow to this size.

Great pictures and if you have more of them please beam it through for the benefit of palm freeks who cannot go to very location that we see in this palm forum.i think you know the feeling !

One family one tree..

love conquers all..

43278.gif

truly impressive palms!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Does anyone have any pictures of the corpha's at Ho'omaluhia gardens on Oahu? I'm going back home to the islands this december and will post pictures of my visit but, I'm sure Bo or Dean has some older pictures of these massive and beautiful giants.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Truly the most spectacular of the spectacular!

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

This is one of the most beautiful palms. If someone has pictures of it from any gardens of the world or your own, PLEASE post them.

Anna

Ania

Houston, TX

zone 9a

"God in his wisdom made the fly

And then forgot to tell us why"

-Ogden Nash

These C. umbraculifera just bust free of one's imagination.  This photograph dates back only thee weeks at one of my trips to Ho`omaluhia.  

Yes, that IS a picnic table.

post-136-1153767173_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Norm

Kailua,  Hawaii

Windward side of Oahu

Famous kite surfing beach

6xml8.jpg

Here is a picture of two giants growing in Foster's Garden in Honolulu. The palm in the forground was in bloom last September. I will post the picture of it later.

If someone has any updates on what is happening to it theses days, please let us know.

Anna

• Upvote 1

Ania

Houston, TX

zone 9a

-Ogden Nash

Thanks Norm and Anna for the photo's.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

de nada, Kawika!

This is my C. utan.  I agree with Daryl about the appeal of Corypha in it's juvenile phase.  When my tree was a juvenile, I recall it being very imposing.  But here is the tree in the adult condition, just for comparison.

post-136-1153772613_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Norm

Kailua,  Hawaii

Windward side of Oahu

Mahalo again Norm and see you in december!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Here is a picture of mine, not very impressive yet.

Anyone with a time line on these? 5years, 10years before I can expect mature leaves?

Thanks

Mike

post-250-1153776266_thumb.jpg

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Hi Mike, I can't comment on the other species, but C.utan is pretty quick. The photo in another thread of my dead Corypha utan (with the beer bottle) shows a palm that was 5 years old in my climate.

Daryl.

The last time I visited Fairchild Gardens I noticed one (Utan) off the main path in a protected location.  This was in October of last year.  It had made it through the hurricanes with little damage some how.

I measured it from tip to tip...a whopping 55' wide!

If you are going to plant one leave lots of space.

Rob

Anna and Norm,

thanks for posting those great photos. These are truly imposing palms. And I don't have any photos from any of the gardens on Oahu because last time I went there was a couple of years ago, and I didn't have a digital camera at the time!

Kris,

Corypha umbraculifera is supposed to have originated in southern India. Hopefully SOME are still growing there!!

Mike (The Palm Nut),

I can give you a timeline. This is a C. umbraculifera that was about the size of yours in 1998 when I planted it. Today overall height is close to 8 ft. (My C. utan is taller. I'll try to get a shot of it tomorrow).

Bo

post-22-1153802930_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

WOW! I guess I've found a new favorite. My all time is the Silver Bismarkia, But this beauty, is right up there. WOW!

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Dear Norm & Anna,

hey guys those pictures are terrafic.

And norm you have chosen the right place to make a fine picnic_way to go.

And now Anna you picture of that Giant Fan Palm,i truly have no words to speak.thanks for standing under it,if not i would not have even the slighest idea what size it is.And exactly behind you & this palm,there is a tree that looks like a concrete post is it BAOBAB ?

Anna i want to share a secret with you, as i was watching your pic of that palm there were tears in my eyes out of joy and kept imagining what almighty is. I truely feel he is the greatest artist of our universe. And it took a while for me to come back to Real-Time.So a big thanks to you Anna on behalf of all of us.

Now to My friend BGL ,iam glad to know that such giants are avaliable in india but to this day i have not seen anything like that. And our nurserys and botanical societies the curiaters in-charge in their are not well versed in botanical names.so they want be of much help to us.

And there are strict rules on export of seeds & animals in india.Even if i lay my hands on these seeds i cannot send it abroad.that is the irony.at times i feel that their should be only one god,one goverment,one language,one currency,one law & one love.& bgl your information on these palms i will surely look into.

Thanks guys you made my day !

one family one tree..

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris,

Just for your information, the common name is Talipot palm, but I don't know if that name is used in India. Good luck! Let us know if you find any!

Bo

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(krisachar @ Jul. 25 2006,02:24)

And there are strict rules on export of seeds & animals in india.Even if i lay my hands on these seeds i cannot send it abroad.

In the past I had seeds sent to me from India legally with a phyto certificate. No problem whatsoever.

N48° 19'12.42", E18°06'50.15"

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

Here I am standing with giant Coryphas at Darwin botanical gardens

GiantCoryphatrunks.jpg

here's the tiny one of the pack.

Coryphasmallest.jpg

• Upvote 1

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

now how long do i have to wait??? this is a utan, just a few weeks old.

post-18-1153832963_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Dear Jam 99,

Iam a novice pertaning to matters on palm trade inside india,

iam just a palm collector since its my hobby.and iam not running a nursery or a garden.to know who is exporting these type of seeds abroad which is legal ?

My Friends once took me to a private nursery in banglore_its name is Indo-American Hybrid Seeds.They Have a website in its name. this where my 1st encounter with nature happened.these guys export plants.but i donot know about export of seeds.

Kindly Can you inform us the name of that dealer,so that it would benefit me and others to purchase seeds or even palms like corpyphas..from those agents.Since you know these people.Your help in this regard will be greatly appreciated by us.

Now to Dear Scott,hey that link on Nong Nooch Gardens at bangkok was simply fentastic. I love U pal, Do you know when we eat very sweet item our jaw bone begins to tickle like wise seeing those gardens made my eye undergo the same effect.

for a moment it looked like a tropical paradise as seen in a annimated disney or pilxer movie.and it took a while for me to believe what iam seeing_Lovely lovely simply suberb...

From now on all my dreams about paradise will have only this Nong nooch botanical gardens in the background.

in your picture what i realised was god created man & his universe,but man with own hands is trying to create a immaginative paradise...I see the pain man has taken

to acheive this feet.

U guys have never failed to impress us(the forum members)..

Love U all

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thanks for all the great pictures!

Krisachar ~ I'm sure the members here will help with your collection  :D

Speaking of Baobabs, I do have an addiction with them and Banyan seedlings,  but I will save that for another post.

-Steve

• Upvote 1

Zone 5B ~ Central Kansas

KNNN, the Banyan you gave me just opened the leaf that it was setting the day you gave it to me. WOW, once it opens, the leaf REALLY takes off and grows quick doesn't it!

many thanks to Knnn(Steve).

iam glad that your are also my type !

And see you soon in your new post.which iam eagerly looking forward to see.

Love U all

One family one tree..

love conquers all..

43278.gif

x114a1pz0.jpg

x115bjw9.jpg

x116bin8.th.jpg

*Please click on thumbnail for larger version*

As promised, I am posting some pictures of one of the Foster's Coryphas in bloom. It was September 2006. Please see the same palms in 2002 in my earlier picture.

Anna

• Upvote 1

Ania

Houston, TX

zone 9a

-Ogden Nash

Anna:

I will make a point of stopping at Foster next time I am on the Honolulu side.  I have not been there in months.  Get a photograph or two.

Tad:  How long did it take for your C. utan seed to germinate?

Mike:  The C. utan here was in a hurry.  Two years after planting out the seedling (like yours), the fronds were over my head.  

Here's a photograph of this C. utan in full fruit.  It's interesting to see the differences between C. utan and C. umbraculifera in the fruiting stages.  Thanks to Anna for posting her photographs!

post-136-1153853035_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Norm

Kailua,  Hawaii

Windward side of Oahu

Kris- Aren't those gardens gorgeous?

This is how I learn about different palms. I read the posts, then I search the net for info & pics. I ran accross this last night. I'm glad you agree with it's beauty!

Scott

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

How hardy is Corypha umbraculifera?  I have 1 in a pot I grew from seed last year.  It did not appreciate spending the winter in my shaded greenhouse but recovered well after a few doses of hydrogen peroxide.

I am hoping it would survive okay in sunny position in zone 9a.  What do you think?

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

Norm:

Your C. utan is simply amazing. We are waiting for your report from Foster's on the fate of the Corypha.

Bo:

Your Corypha u. is beautiful. I wish I had one like that in my garden.

Scott:

That garden is an eye candy. What an amazing place. Has anybody else visited it? If you have, please post some pictures so we can drool some more.

Does anybody know how the ones in Fairchild's are doing? I hope the hurricane didn't harm them.

Anna

Ania

Houston, TX

zone 9a

-Ogden Nash

mine took about a month to set and spike, they are still germinating as well.

at christmas I was so excited togo and see one in the gigantic green house in St. Louis Mo. at the botanical garden. they cut it down, the leaves were to close to the top so they "pruned" it. I got into a tiff with the guide over whether it will or wont grow back. she later conceded that it had indeed fruited but they did not know that was a terminal case.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Anna, I have seen a few pictures of the Corypha's at Fairchild and they were totally devestated. Laying on the ground in heaps. Brought tears to my eyes. Hopefully, they tried to keep them. I'm sure they probally did. Does anybody know for sure? :(

Norm,

Wow, great shot! Try to get some more please!

Here's a juvenile Corypha utan. It was planted in Sept 1997 from a 2G pot, and today, nine years later, it's about 14 ft/4 m. tall. It seems to have picked speed the last few years.

Bo

post-22-1153885345_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

And Anna, forgot to mention that your photo of the inflorescence is just amazing! :) Must have been quite an experience to see this in person!

Bo

Thanks for the enthusiastic words, everyone.  

Since the flowering/fruiting process of C. utan is not well documented, I kept a photographic journal.  So, there are lots of photographs.  It's not finished, either.  

Here's a photograph of ripe fruit which fell naturally.  Most fruit fall due to bird action.  (I am VERY popular with the birds in the area, the feathered kind for all you Aussies).

Bo, this tree seemed to pick up steam in each year of life.  And after leaf bases began to fall, it really took off.  

And Palmotrafficante, thanks for the news on germination.

post-136-1153889639_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Norm

Kailua,  Hawaii

Windward side of Oahu

(ania @ Jul. 25 2006,13:48)

x116bin8.th.jpg

*Please click on thumbnail for larger version*

Dear Anna thanks for your pictures, i had been a fan of biz,breha armata etc,but seeing those pictures i think every day Corpyphas are becoming dearer to my heart,Iam scared that it would replace my present no.1 palm Favouriate !

And as for the thunbnail link notes,that tablet explaining tailpot fan palm flowering habit,I learnt my lesson on life_that every person on earth should be of some use to thy brotherin.i.e this palms looks pretty massive in its life span it impress us in that fashion but while leaving us it also impresses by putting up a fountain of flowers & fruits.I think it is time for me to mend my life seeing this example that god has given us.

Now to you Bgl,your palms in post no 37 all fine fan palm has been placed in a cramped fashion why ? Do you know that all those verities need ample space and proper sunshine.only then the grouth rate will be fast !

And i have a question to you & all our members of the two Corpyphas varities which one is massive in appearence.Kindly highlight this Info.

And dear Friends Please bear with be for calling you in your user name,excuse me for that,but i will learn & remember your names soon.

Love you guys.

one family one tree..

love conquers all..

43278.gif