IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show us your Borassus

SubTropicRay

The genus Borassus is under-discussed on ths forum.  Bismarckia gets a ton of attention yet Borassus has superior size and appearance in my humble opinion.  Please show us your Borassus photos.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ray, is Borassus easy to find in FL nurseries?

Seems like someone in this forum about a year ago suggested B. aethopium for S. Texas. :)

Odessa, TX  Z8a

NE edge Chihuahuan Desert

Alt 2800 ft

El Jardin de Quixote

(jimbiz @ Jan. 27 2007,11:34)

Ray, is Borassus easy to find in FL nurseries?

Seems like someone in this forum about a year ago suggested B. aethopium for S. Texas. :)

Yeah there was one in Brownsville but when I was with Richard looking for it, I believe it had either died or been unsuccessfully moved. Don't know how common they are in nurseries though.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

He-he....he wants to see our asses.....  I was trying to cool it on the Ranch hands for a while.....at least in this forum..  :cool:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Wasn't that a large Borassus with many feet of trunk that Ken dug and moved not too long ago? I wonder how that one has been doing?

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Ray,

I definitely think Borassus are very impressive palms, but I'm not sure all that many people would actually consider them more attractive than Bismarckias (I don't). Bismarckias are probably also more adaptable to a wider variety of environments than Borassus, plus I'm convinced they are considerable faster growers. All of which are important factors when it comes to marketability, interest and demand.

I have a few small ones, and even though they do well here, I know for a fact that we don't have enough heat from them to really thrive. This is my biggest one, a Borassus flabellifer, that I bought from Garrett Webb / Kalaoa Gardens in Sep 2003 as a 15G plant. It's about 4 ft tall today.

Bo-Göran

post-22-1169962587_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And this is a sister plant, which is considerably larger. I took the photo at Kalaoa Gardens, Garrett Webb's nursery, on the Kona side of the Big Island in June 2006. The location is sea level, only a couple of miles away from the airport, with nonstop sunshine, very little rain and HOT HOT weather!!

post-22-1169962766_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Borassus aethiopum in the African Section of the Palmetum of Santa Cruz. Seeds collected in 1996 (by me!) at the Jardín Botánico de Cienfuegos, in Cuba. Sown in some long pipes and planted in the ground in 2000. Now they are about 3m tall... I think we have to remove the Elaeis guineensis behind.

DSCN3536_redimensionar.jpg

Carlo, Tenerife

Ray, This is my first post, let's see if I get it right.

These are three Borassus that I know you saw last March but I thought I would try to share. Dad grew them from seed at three separate times. Both of the older plants are staminate and show trunk damage from the Xmas '89(?) freeze. They were defoliated but recovered in time.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums....041.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums....002.jpg

Hi Brad,

Welcome to the IPS Forum! Glad to have you participating. I'm sure you can add a lot of interesting and valuable information & photos!

And those are some very impressive palms!

Aloha,

Bo-Göran

Hi Bo,

As a young palm, I would agree with you that Bismarckia is more attractive.  In my opinion, a full grown Borassus is more breathtaking than a Bismarckia.  Yes, the Bismarckia is more adaptable and grows faster but since when does that what make a palm superior? I hope someone will post a photo here of the Fairchild Borassus couple.  The huge seeds underneath the massive canopy are a sight to behold.  

Hi Brad,

I have been marveling at your father's plants for years.  Thanks for posting here.  Please visit this forum more often.  

Ray

Ray,

Just for clarification - I agree with everything you said above. And I would never use the word 'superior' in this context. Borassus palms are indeed fantastic looking palms, especially when they get up in size and it was a special thrill to see them scattered all over the Thai landscape when we were there during the Biennial in 1998.

Bo-Göran

Ray, here are the 2 B. aethiopum at Fairchild;

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ftgd200....1

and a B. flabellifer;

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ftgd200....2

Out in the lowlands past that stand of Copernicia baileyana are some hybrid Borassus but I can't find my photos of them.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

All,

We would see alot more of these if the seed were alot cheaper. And more readily available too.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Eric in Orlando @ Jan. 28 2007,21:49)

Ray, here are the 2 B. aethiopum at Fairchild;

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ftgd200....1

and a B. flabellifer;

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ftgd200....2

Out in the lowlands past that stand of Copernicia baileyana are some hybrid Borassus but I can't find my photos of them.

Do you know how old that B. flabellifer at Fairchild is?  I put one of these in my yard 4 years ago and it has hardly grown at all.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

For perspective, I believe the 40-50 foot tall specimen of B. aethiopum in Dr. U.A. Young's Tampa garden was planted in the 1970's.  Hopefully, Brad Young will see this follow up and confirm this.

Ray

zac, i just read this, if the one in question is the one at pete's old house, it's still there and doing fine.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Heres some Borassus aethiopium in habitat  [ based on its location ]  on the savannah in central Sudan,  near Kadugli,  this is seasonally dry,  with a rainfall of around 1200 mm per year.  But NO rain for 4-5 months and blistering heat of 40-50C every day.  The locals use many parts of these,  but complain they are slow to grow.

post-416-1170049903_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Here's one of my young Bo's...starting to get shaded out..pretty slow as a seedling.

B.flabellifer

bo-flab.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Here's one of my Bo aethiopiums

I've seen quite a few flabellifer in Oz, but not one Aethiopium ('cept mine of course!) If anybody knows of any large plants please let me know!

Daryl

bo-aeth.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Daryl,

Did that Corypha umbraculifera seed germinate ?  May have been on the ground a while.....

Daryl,

I see below there is at least one  new palm  from the dead Singapore Talipot.  Good to see   :)

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Hi Chris, yes, it has done very well. And so did the Pritchardia seed you sent up...many thanks again. I will grow the corypha on for another year in a pot, then in the ground it will go..either in my new garden or here if I decide to stay! The more time goes on the more I'm inclined to not leave here!

Just went outside and took this photo..sorry for straying from Borassus folks...

corypha-umb.jpg

regards,

Daryl

I found the photo. Here is the Borassus hybrid at Fairchild. At least 1 of the palms to the right of the road is B. flabellifer x aethiopum. I think it is the 2 palms tot he right of the road that are closest, the one furthest out I think is a B. aethiopum.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ftgd200....27

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here is a stand of borrasus i have no idea what species these are located in the jardin botanico de La Havana

post-78-1170083429_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

(palmotrafficante @ Jan. 28 2007,23:40)

zac, i just read this, if the one in question is the one at pete's old house, it's still there and doing fine.

Tad- Is that the one that Bob had in The Tropical Look? If it is, thats the one we went by and couldn't see.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

??? i dunno about which one is in the book zac, but the big  man sent me and another conspirator to inquire as to whether or not we could purchase it..... it was decided that we would just wait till the time is right and snatch it with the spade truck.  since pete died whoever is the new owner of the house is not into palms or visitors for that matter. its about 8 ro 10 overall height...its the aethiopum type i belive.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

Tad

Yes it's the one at the neighbor of Peter Heinz's old house, they have very sensitive roots, to dig it would almost certainly be a Death Sentence. The seed was planted directly in the ground from Joe Michael's borassus in Florida, who was Peter's cousin.

well he is on a different mission now, some have already been planted at the camp anyway.

and seed should begin to arrive soon,allthough not from camp.

Abraham Lincoln

Thanks for the great photo Oscar.

Ray

• 8 years later...

I discovered this at the Zoo today.  Everything up in this area is on really free draining soil.  I thought that this may have been one of the flatter leafed Sabals, until I got a look at the trunk, and saw the spines on the petioles.

Anyone know which species this is?

IMAG0251.thumb.jpg.bce02b8d8fc3e9b2bbad3IMAG0252.thumb.jpg.7661ccbd1f78081514487IMAG0253.thumb.jpg.ff6fdeed41aa7dbd095d3

• Upvote 1

Steve, unles picture deceives, I can not call them spines exactly. They look instead like tiny teeth and imo the most accurate description is minutely serrate petiole.  Such are also the petioles of Trachycarpus and even my Bismarckia shows this feature on robust and perfectly healthy leaves...