IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Germination Ceroxylon quinduensis

pindo

Hello for all

For three consecutive years, I'm trying unsuccessfully to germinate Ceroxylon quinduensis

Maybe someone can tell me any secrets or suggestions.

Thank you very much in advance

Regards

Jose

Visit my site

www.palmasenresistencia.blogspot.com

And comment me

Hello for all

For three consecutive years, I'm trying unsuccessfully to germinate Ceroxylon quinduensis

Maybe someone can tell me any secrets or suggestions.

Thank you very much in advance

Regards

Jose

Jose, last winter i received my Ceroxylon, amazonicum and C Ventricosum seed from RPS and had "great germination success by placing the seed 3'' deep into an 8"pot( 50 seeds to a pot) with a mix of 50% moist decomposed wood, perlite and 25% of potting mix and 25% sand. I kept the pots outside in winter ( cool subtropics of Oz where coldest month is July and ave overnight min temp is 7c or 44f and days around 19c or 66f ) where they got a little morning sun and always made sure the pots where always moist..Ceroxylon seed for great germination like to be kept moist constantly, not boggy but "moist'. Germination for me started at 6 weeks and some even 8 months later, I know my seeds werent quinduensis like yours but they are still Ceroxylons which all like continual moisture to germinate and when the seed is planted deep they have little chance of drying out, all the best with your seed. Pete. :)

Hi Jose, I think fresh seed that has never dried out is important for fast germination and good strike rate. I use the standard baggy method with sphagnum but avoid heat above 25c. If your seed is now three years old it is time to start again, but hang on to that old seed because miracles do happen! I think maybe you get rather hot summers so it might be a struggle for you to grow this species but well done for trying.

Hi Jose,

I have just looked at your webiste, looks good! But if you live in a city where Cocos nucifera can be grown ok, I think it is maybe just too hot for C. quindiuense. Here in cooler climates it is an easy palm. I have had near 100% success just sowing them in any growing media (including straight soil, I tried!) under light shade. I think consistently cool nights might be required for this and other high altitude Ceroxylon species.

Edited by Bennz

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

do you have any seed of Ceroxylon Q for sale ??

cheers Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Hello for all

Pete :

A pleasure to hear from you again Please… stay away from the stairs :rolleyes:

I will have in mind what you said about the humidity and depth

thank you very much

Richnorm :

I know how difficult can be an old seed, but now I have new seeds. I hope for better luck this time

I agree with you that my area is very hot for this species, but shall see how far I can go with Ceroxylon

Ben :

I'm glad you like my website.

The problem in this city is that the coconut hardly support the cold and the Jubaea can't stand the heat

Thanks for your opinion

Troy:

Please, wait a few days and I'll tell you if I have some seeds available to you

Cheers

Edited by pindo

Visit my site

And comment me

I germinated a lot of C.alpinum in a pot of pure sand in the shadow of some trees, constantly humid with cold to fresh nights.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

I germinated a lot of C.alpinum in a pot of pure sand in the shadow of some trees, constantly humid with cold to fresh nights.

Obrigado garoto...!!!!!

Visit my site

And comment me

I germinated C.amazonicum,in perlit with some peat,temperature was 30°C +- in propagator.I keep seedlings in the shade,temperature now is over 30° and they looking good.

• 2 months later...

Hi Pindo,

I would be really happy if you still have some seeds of Ceroxylon quindiuense! I have had some from rarepalseeds some years ago but I lost a nice big plants from them during winter four years ago (in a green house...).

My experience with these Ceroxylon species is to have the seeds in water first for three days and then put the seeds in a zip plastic bag (as for frozen food) half filed with peat moss (just wet). Then store it at moderate temperature (20°C). I have at home some rooms heated by the floor only at day time (low heat). Probably it helps in mimiking nature... It takes from 3 weeks to 8 months to sprout. I always have between 60% to 100% success. Difficulties start afterwards.

Best regards,

Thierry

I germinated about 16 of 20 seeds from memory quite a few years ago now. As mentioned, these struggle with heat, the heatwave here knocked most of them out a few years ago but I still have a few still soldiering on.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.