IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A private Spanish garden

John in Andalucia

As some of you know, I was looking to sell my stock recently, as there is nobody on the premises here to look after my seedlings, hence it was to be the end of my business. All that changed the morning after the night I booked my flight to Peru, when I received a call from a woman called Isabel who lives near Malaga, one hour west along the coast. I met her briefly several weeks ago, when she came up to buy a few seedlings with her husband and children, and brought 5 members of the Spanish gardening forum, InfoJardin with her!

Isabel offered to look after my stock and send plants out to customers. It naturally came about that we would both enjoy working as "socios", or partners, especially since she is an active member of the palm forum on InfoJardin. She not only knows a lot of palm growers and collectors here in Spain, but through the forum, members from South America too.

So, last weekend she invited me up to her place to see if her garden was suitable to accommodate around 55 sq. yards of seedlings in pots. I wasn't sure what to expect when I met her at the petrol station just off the autovía, but within 5 minutes, I was in palm botanico heaven and totally lost for words. You just don't expect to find 25 year-old established gardens down here, and someone keen to help you along in business!

I'm just going to post all the photos. The garden is basically formed like a steep amphitheatre with tracks leading down to the bottom, where there's a large pond/reservoir. I can only image how beautiful it looks in summer. Of course I won't be here to see it, but then you can't have it all ways. I'm just thrilled that the seedlings I've never spent a day away from in 3 years will get to line the pathways of this shady little paradise.

post-1155-079232500 1295967018_thumb.jpg post-1155-039287300 1295967073_thumb.jpg

more to follow..

What a neat place to discover!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks, Bill! All of their CIDP are well-protected with weevil traps, and so far have only lost one specimen. They've created a reasonable micro-climate, with lows over the last 2 years of 7-8C /45-46F. That's around 3 degrees Celsius above the normal.

John,

Good for you finding two jewels! The garden and caretaker in one, SCORE!

I like the shot with the pond best. The place looks great.

Randy

test

John,

Good for you finding two jewels! The garden and caretaker in one, SCORE!

I like the shot with the pond best. The place looks great.

Randy

Thanks, Randy! I admit to feeling a little choked. I booked my flight to Peru, went to bed and thought, "Now what?" The following morning, I stepped outside and my mother handed me the phone.

Here's what lives down on the pond..

post-1155-085104300 1295972415_thumb.jpg

Nice John!

PS- I wanted to say "Thanks" for the temp converter on your signature.

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

John, that's a Dypsis lutescens in the pic? If they grow in Spain there's hope for me!

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Bill, use the temp converter whenever you like! The page is a bit bare. Any suggestions?

John, that's a Dypsis lutescens in the pic? If they grow in Spain there's hope for me!

Yes, Mike. It's well-protected from the wind, given that it sits in a basin and with lots of canopy. That's the key in a Mediterranean climate. Those last few shots you just wouldn't associate with a garden on the exposed, south coast of Spain.

Thanks Wal, Ante and Darold for your thoughts!

Bill, use the temp converter whenever you like! The page is a bit bare. Any suggestions?

The only thing could maybe think is a conversion for feet to meters etc., and maybe a "pot size" converter? :blink:

Funny how things can work out sometimes, huh? :) Must be a great relief to know your seedlings will be cared for, and the setting is wonderful.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Funny how things can work out sometimes, huh? :) Must be a great relief to know your seedlings will be cared for, and the setting is wonderful.

Thanks Kim. It make you realise the power of an enthusiast community. One nation under an anorak!

Bill - you have a new converter! biggrin.gif

VERY COOL JOHN!! Thanks!!!! :D

Great news John, and what an awesome garden. Thanks for the photos! :drool:

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

Could be my place!

Palm nuttiness incarnate!

Great find!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Could be my place!

Palm nuttiness incarnate!

Great find!

Thanks, Dave!

I liken it to guerilla planting in your own, private copse!

Here's a shot of the main house..

post-1155-009879000 1296211670_thumb.jpg

As it may escape most people's notice, a new member has joined PalmTalk today. The owner of this Spanish garden. If you enjoyed the photos, feel free to surprise her! She speaks no English, but well-wishers might like to follow up her introduction in the Spanish forum: http://www.palmtalk....ndpost&p=446283 Thank you! smilie.gif

Thanks for sharing John.. i love stumbling across places like that, almost like an oasis.

Bermuda (32N 64W)

Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Humidity (77% ave.)

Warm Season: (May-Nov): Max/Min 88F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Wet season Dec-April.

"What happens to you does not matter; what you become through those experiences is all that is significant. This is the true meaning of life."

Thanks for sharing John.. i love stumbling across places like that, almost like an oasis.

Thank you, Rob! In summer, it must feel exactly that. Just a stone's throw from North Africa.