IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bok Tower Gardens is a little known treasure in Lake Wales, FL

_Rich

Serenoa repens - silver variety:

post-4519-017797100 1287259219_thumb.jpg

post-4519-058978200 1287259241_thumb.jpg

The tower itself:

Situated on 250 acres and named in honor of the property owner at the time (Edward Bok - Editor of Ladies Home Journal the tower was dedicated by President Calvin Coolidge in 1929. It stands 205 feet tall on what is believed to be the highest point above sea level in the peninsula portion of FL. It features a 60 bell carillion - earning it the distinction of a 'singing tower'. The property also features 'Pinewood Estate' - some latter pictures of which will be posted in conjunction with the thread. Enjoy:

post-4519-039995600 1287260069_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

This data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall the providers be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from lost data or lost profits or revenue, the costs of recovering such data, the costs of substitute data, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use the data. Other terms may apply.

Unsure of which Sabal this massive species is. Pics were difficult to get and sorry there is nothing for scale:

post-4519-065149400 1287260316_thumb.jpgpost-4519-053590600 1287260337_thumb.jpgpost-4519-092656000 1287260373_thumb.jpg

This data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall the providers be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from lost data or lost profits or revenue, the costs of recovering such data, the costs of substitute data, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use the data. Other terms may apply.

A trio of massive cycads. Someone please ID as I'm pretty sure they are not C. revoluta:post-4519-083528900 1287260685_thumb.jpg

post-4519-042419200 1287260713_thumb.jpg

post-4519-028605600 1287260737_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Pups on truck of prior cycad:

post-4519-024860900 1287260837_thumb.jpg

Arenga engleri in a well shaded area:

post-4519-066481800 1287260870_thumb.jpg

Great looking purple flower on one of the many trails through the gardens:

post-4519-094026400 1287260920_thumb.jpg

Some pics of the reflection pond with the tower in the background - and a cameo by one of the resident swans:

post-4519-024496400 1287261067_thumb.jpg

post-4519-000809300 1287261083_thumb.jpg

some of the pond's bordering landscape:

post-4519-025521600 1287261153_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

more bordering shots:

post-4519-093280700 1287261232_thumb.jpg

aforementioned swan during a little pruning:

post-4519-089029400 1287261262_thumb.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Quite a striking flower:

post-4519-025133200 1287261323_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

A centerpiece for sure - in the reflection pond by the tower itself:

Victoria amazonica:

post-4519-044723100 1287261493_thumb.jpg

post-4519-086046600 1287261517_thumb.jpg

post-4519-086959500 1287261534_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Some more reflecdtion pool bordering:

post-4519-096075000 1287261604_thumb.jpg

post-4519-023122100 1287261619_thumb.jpg

post-4519-050675600 1287261642_thumb.jpg

And still more - with the tower making another appearance:

post-4519-051625400 1287261721_thumb.jpg

post-4519-062207800 1287261749_thumb.jpg

post-4519-030481000 1287261769_thumb.jpg

Swans are back as I make my way around the other side of the reflection pool:

post-4519-078837100 1287261877_thumb.jpg

post-4519-056769000 1287261893_thumb.jpg

post-4519-092886200 1287261932_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Pinewood Estate's backyard:

post-4519-086467100 1287262024_thumb.jpg

post-4519-021157900 1287262041_thumb.jpg

post-4519-039459800 1287262066_thumb.jpg

I was there earlier today too! It was really cool. I think the big sabals were labeled as blackburniana but Im not sure

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Small pond at the rear of the estate's property:

post-4519-039245000 1287262127_thumb.jpg

post-4519-046426900 1287262144_thumb.jpg

post-4519-019040500 1287262165_thumb.jpg

That's all for this visit. The pics can't do it justice - you have to see it in person. Did I mention that today's visit was complimentary in conjunction with the 2nd annual Boktoberfest / Plant Sale?

Enjoy,

Rich

I was there earlier today too! It was really cool. I think the big sabals were labeled as blackburniana but Im not sure

-Krishna

Hey Krishna,

I didn't know what to expect regarding the plant sale. I can't say I was overly impressed - but I think the focus was on native species and those which would flourish in this growing area. Any awesome experience none the less.

Take care,

Rich

Hey Rich,

Thank you for sharing pics of Bok Towers. i had concrete plans on being there today and then going to the mule palm grove afterwards to spend a nice quiet weekend in the country. But alas, work called and i had no choice.

I will though call you when i do decide to go there, you would deffinatly know where to go!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

-Krishna

Hey Krishna,

I didn't know what to expect regarding the plant sale. I can't say I was overly impressed - but I think the focus was on native species and those which would flourish in this growing area. Any awesome experience none the less.

Take care,

Rich

I got some interesting fruit trees (cold hardy avocado, olive, jabotica) which was cool but I agree, there wasnt a ton of variety at the sale. On the plus side I spent enough money on what I did get that I was glad there wasnt more :)

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Great place. I was there Saturday morning for Boktoberfest. The large Sabal near the entrance and the tower itself are Sabal domingensis. If you like Camellia, there are few better gardens in Florida.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Bok is a beautiful place. A great time to visit is on a warm breezy day in late March/early April when the surrounding citrus groves are in bloom. Then the whole Garden is scented. also the native lupine with blue-violet flowers is flowering.

The tall Sabal blackburniana by the carillion are incredible.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric, the Floridata website claims all the big Sabals there are domingensis. I don't think blackburniana is an accepted name.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/s/saba_dom.cfm

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

They always said those were S. blackburniana, think there used to be a sign saying that. but that is an ivalid/ or mystery species. Probably are S. domingensis as an old text I have from Bailey has S. blackburniana listed as a valid species but native to Domincan Rep, this was from the 1930s.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

They always said those were S. blackburniana, think there used to be a sign saying that. but that is an ivalid/ or mystery species. Probably are S. domingensis as an old text I have from Bailey has S. blackburniana listed as a valid species but native to Domincan Rep, this was from the 1930s.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 6 years later...

One of the first places I went when I moved down was to Bok Tower.  I really enjoyed the friendly wild life.  The squirrels will let you hand feed them.  The palms and other plants grow great, and you can see the rest of the town from the top of the mountain.  Just a great place if you enjoy nature.

I'd advise going in the late fall.  Usually, the weather is mild and comfortable. 

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F