• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some Pics of the Dick Douglas Garden In Nor Cal.

Jim in Los Altos

Dicks garden is amazing in its diversity, beauty, and special interest. This catered October meeting went well and everyone had a great time. The long distance champ was Dave from So-Cal. It was a pleasure meeting you Dave! There was also a great selection of palms for sale and I came home with a nice selection including Brahea nitida 'super silver', Brahea elegans, Butia x Jubaea x Syagrus, and a genetically mutated Chamaerops seedling from Dick's unique and bizarre looking C. humilis.

I didn't take anywhere near enough pictures so I hope some of you fellow members that were there will post some here too.

This is the famous mutated C. humilis.

PA030892.jpg

Brahea elegans

PA030890.jpg

A humongous Nannorrhops richiana

PA030889.jpg

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Phoenix canariensis x roebelenii x reclinata

PA030888.jpg

PA030887.jpg

PA030886.jpg

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Jubaea chilensis in the front yard

PA030885.jpg

Dick's gorgeous Butia x parajubaea

PA030884.jpg

Bamboo forest

PA030883.jpg

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Front yard views

PA030882.jpg

PA030881.jpg

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

the garden of Dick and a true botanical garden.

I didn't take anywhere near enough pictures so I hope some of you fellow members that were there will post some here too.

I want to see more photos :)

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

Backyard views

PA030880.jpg

PA030879.jpg

There's the master himself, Dick, to the left. Sorry Dick that I caught you with closed eyes. :blink:

PA030878.jpg

I hope someone posts pictures of the banquet in the backyard under the 300+year old valley oak as well as more of this fantastic garden. Thanks Dick for hosting our October Palm Society meeting!

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

I'm glad to see these photos as it shows that Dick has plenty of room and space to appreciate the Garden. (Unlike our friend Ralph...:) )

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Yeah, was a great trip, just got back home again . . . .

LOVELY TO MEET YOU ALL!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Sorry I couldn't make it - I realized 16+ hours in a car with Dave singing Rhinestone Cowboy & Cuando, Cuando, Cuando was too much

Shaggin-Wagon.png

I get by with a little help from my fronds

GREAT garden Dick, I'm in love with that Brahea elegans, wonderful hybrid palms, Phoenix canariensis x roebelenii x reclinata never seen that one before. :drool:

Edited by Palm crazy

Great photos, Jim. That Chamaerops is bizarre - and I mean that in a good way. And the Jubaea is positively prehistoric. Wish I could grow one like that, if I had the space.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks for all the photos Jim. Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you at the meeting.

It was the first time I've attended a Northern California Chapter meeting.

It was a real honor to meet Dick and Patrick Schafer, along with the other members whom I was lucky enough to meet.

I'm ignorant about hybridization but have been inspired by their work.

Dick's garden is truly a masterpiece and he's a terrific host and guide.

Truly a trip to remember.

Jim,

Thanks for the nice photos of the garden, and thanks to all of you who helped me get it all together. I couldn't have done it without your help, setting up the tables, chairs, ice, beer, etc. I didn't get a chance to see the sign in roster, but we estimated close to 100 attended, some arriving early for the luncheon, some arriving later. It was a great day and the temp. was in the 70's, perfect for a garden party.

It feels kind of strange to have 90 people strolling around your garden one day, and the next day with silence, and a few half empty cups of beer sitting around. It broke my heart to return a half empty keg of beer.

Thanks to all of you for your help and your attendance. Lynda, the cateror said it was one of the nicest group of people she had ever worked with.

Dick

Richard Douglas