IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus princeps

LJG

I have two plants that were labeled Trachycarpus princeps for sale. Both are in 15s and need to be planted. I have decided to not plant them in my garden.

First one:

forsaleIMG_0682.jpg

Back of leaf:

forsaleIMG_0684.jpg

Top of leaf:

forsaleIMG_0688.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

This one also was labeled Trachycarpus princeps but it is different, hence why I have two.

forsaleIMG_0685.jpg

Bottom. You can see it is not as silver but more glaucus.

forsaleIMG_0686.jpg

Top. You can see it is not as split.

forsaleIMG_0687.jpg

I think the second one is what was listed in the new SoCal Palm Journel. There was a plant that came in as Trachycarpus princeps but turned out to be some unknown. Basically a Trachycarpus fortunei with blue backside. If interested it is page 39, bottom picture of issue 194. What do you think?

If anyone has any corrections on these, let me know. Still $100 ;)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Oh yeah, these palms still have labels. These came from Palm Mountain when they went under a few years back. They had all kinds of rare stuff.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len,

I think your green form T. princepts is nova variety that rare green rps form! Check out Gary's post on T. princepts he just started.

Randy

test

Garry here on the forums corrected me (thanks Garry and Randy). These are "Nova". When they came in the came in as Trachycarpus princeps. The reason they are different is they might end up being two separate species according to the Journal. Also states these handled 0 degrees F in France. So they are very cold hardy.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

• 2 weeks later...

Garry here on the forums corrected me (thanks Garry and Randy). These are "Nova". When they came in the came in as Trachycarpus princeps. The reason they are different is they might end up being two separate species according to the Journal. Also states these handled 0 degrees F in France. So they are very cold hardy.

Would you be willing to ship? I like the first one. You can email me.

roger

Edited by Palm crazy

• 3 weeks later...

I have two plants that were labeled Trachycarpus princeps for sale. Both are in 15s and need to be planted. I have decided to not plant them in my garden.

First one:

forsaleIMG_0682.jpg

Back of leaf:

forsaleIMG_0684.jpg

Top of leaf:

forsaleIMG_0688.jpg

Can you trade ?I would love one here in Ohio.also if you can ship too?Thanks Dennis in Ohio

No way to ship. Too big.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

First one:

forsaleIMG_0682.jpg

Back of leaf:

forsaleIMG_0684.jpg

Top of leaf:

forsaleIMG_0688.jpg

Can you trade ?I would love one here in Ohio.also if you can ship too?Thanks Dennis in Ohio

I like multi quoting big pics to make for longer download of threads!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thankyou Dennis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy

test

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, these are Trachycarpus "Nova". They were selling seeds a few years ago as Princeps, but when they came up they were completely different palms. EXTREMELY fast growing.. Elegant and cold hardy. I have about 10 of them and it seems that as soon as I stick them in a larger pot, they fill it up. No idea what they are beyond that.

Jody

Chilliwack British Columbia

Zone 8/9 until 3 years ago. Now Zone 6b.

Don't even get me started.

• 2 weeks later...

My theory is the stouter palm is a deviation in Nova,I also believe Nova is a PrincepsxFortunei-

although this hasn't been proven yet,what has!

I started a thread about this on EPS and have seen one from Cali(on GWF) that looks the same.

It's hard to say if this compact trait is carried over from a stiffer version of Fortunei

or if it is somehow a Princeps quality(like what Princeps shows when it is young and stout)but

it sure would be nice if DNA analysis explained this someday.

The mysteries of these palms are one of the things that makes them so special-but it would be fun to find out!

I would have(at first)just assumed one palm was grown in shade or was a different palm but to me

the trunks look exactly the same