IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis crinita & Dypsis utilitis

PalmatierMeg

I thought I'd gotten a second D. crinita when I received one from Bill/Piouspalms. But when I planted it near the first, I could see differences in the leaves and, especially, the trunks. I'm beginning to think what I thought was my first D. crinita is really D. utilis (?). And the two palms resemble each other enough for me to suspect they are closely related. Both open bronze/pinkish new leaves. Both trunks look untidy, but the D. utilis bears almost spiky remains of old fronds. Any ideas from Dypsis experts?

Dypsis utilis(?) left, Dypsis crinita right

post-1349-12720368667762_thumb.jpg

Dypsis crinita

post-1349-12720369218156_thumb.jpg post-1349-12720369485914_thumb.jpg

post-1349-12720369805812_thumb.jpg

Dypsis utilis(?)

post-1349-12720370857487_thumb.jpg post-1349-12720371135477_thumb.jpg

post-1349-12720371633578_thumb.jpg post-1349-12720371954182_thumb.jpg

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I'm not an expert, but here goes anyway:

Crinies and Utes are what used to be called "kissin' cousins" i.e., very closely related, but not siblings.

Utilis is a bit bigger and hardier; crinita grows near riverbanks in the deep forest.

Both are wonderful and if you can get either or both to grow, they'll be wonderful.

Both are tough grows here in Tierra d'La La . . . . they don't like hot, dry winds. Much less of a problem for you.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

D crinita have a finer leaflet and don't like as much sun as the fatter leaflet utilis. Both grow fine here for me, and always open beautiful red new leaves. Then there is fibrosa and there are a few others which were in the "Vonitra" group before it was lumped into Dypsis in 1995. Very interesting palms. I have quite a few in my garden.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

D crinita have a finer leaflet and don't like as much sun as the fatter leaflet utilis. Both grow fine here for me, and always open beautiful red new leaves. Then there is fibrosa and there are a few others which were in the "Vonitra" group before it was lumped into Dypsis in 1995. Very interesting palms. I have quite a few in my garden.

Best regards

Tyrone

Bow hout some pics, mate?

If they'll grow well for you, there's hope for me . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Will see if I can get around to it in the next few days.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Meg - I also believe both species really like a lot of water. Don't let them get dried out before are rainy season comes. Nice mulch job! wink-1.gif

Ron. smilie.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 1 month later...

My Dypsis crinita displaying his sensuality, trying to attract a female I think. I thought only animals did that :hmm:

post-51-12750858503116_thumb.jpg

post-51-12750858029684_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Does your fibrosa throw really dark red new leaves, Tyrone? My crinita has sort of bronze reddish... If so, I NEED D. fibrosa...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

After seeing the photos of D. fibrosa I need one of those too. Maybe later in the fall after my husband is re-employed & we aren't scraping by on my pitiful earnings.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Does your fibrosa throw really dark red new leaves, Tyrone? My crinita has sort of bronze reddish... If so, I NEED D. fibrosa...

Ari, my fibrosa's give a bronze new leaf, but that could be because they are younger than my utilis and crinita's that seem to get redder the older they get. Have a look at my website in the Palm section to see a pic of my D utilis in full red glory. I think once they get a bit older and get into some good soil and nutrient the leaves get redder when new.

Best regards

Tyrone

I guess there is always going to be variation within a species. Out of the three common 'Vonitras', my D.crinita has the darkest new leaf, then D.fibrosa and then D.utilis, which is only ever a caramel colour on my plants.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

My Dypsis crinita displaying his sensuality, trying to attract a female I think. I thought only animals did that :hmm:

post-51-12750858503116_thumb.jpg

post-51-12750858029684_thumb.jpg

Wal, your D crinita has already split into two. It's a nice specimen.

Best regards

Tyrone

Here's another one, Dypsis utilis, another Vonitra. Both stems opened fronds days apart. :mrlooney:

Randy

post-1035-12750943341371_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

After seeing the photos of D. fibrosa I need one of those too. Maybe later in the fall after my husband is re-employed & we aren't scraping by on my pitiful earnings.

Hi Meg, to quote a 'famous person'...; "I feel your pain". After a lay-off of just over a year, I am finally going back to work. My only lament is now I'll have less time to devote to learning everything I can about palms! But I have decided that when we can actually afford to go back to our house on Green Turtle and have some $s to spend I'm going to focus on Caribbean species. I'm in love with various Copernicas sp, some Cocothrinax, maybe a C. humilis 'Cerifera' and a Bismarckia nobilis. If I can figure out how to get them there, I'm afraid I'll quickly run out of room!

Susan

Edited by GTClover

:hmm: Does you D. crinita form twins? I have two in the ground, and both have two growing heads. Is the norm? Does yours show signs of doing this? :unsure: Seems the photo in the encyclopedia also showed a two headed specimen of D. crinita. :huh:

Don't you love those Dypsiseses?

William

Hana, Maui

Land of the low lying heavens, the misty Uakea crowning the majestic Kauwiki.

Visit my palms here

:hmm: Does you D. crinita form twins? I have two in the ground, and both have two growing heads. Is this the norm? Does yours show signs of doing this? :unsure: Seems the photo in the encyclopedia also showed a two headed specimen of D. crinita. :huh:

Don't you love those Dypsiseses?

post-3769-12753772780626_thumb.jpg :unsure::huh::rolleyes::blink:

Edited by hanapalms

William

Hana, Maui

Land of the low lying heavens, the misty Uakea crowning the majestic Kauwiki.

Visit my palms here

• 8 months later...

bump

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Thanks for bumping Michael, I've been getting confused (so easy for me) on whether I have a crinita or fibrosa, and I don't really care because it is a champion plant, as Tyronne pointed out it was splitting in two back in late May last year.

Here it is today, the red leaves last quite a while, this one's fading now but still has pronounced colour and the other stem is readying for a new leaf, this is what I like to think of as back to back vonitra action. sounds kinda sexy hey :)

MAX !, will you get out of the way PLEASE !!

post-51-070042400 1298672686_thumb.jpg

post-51-034469500 1298672676_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Mine looks similar to yours, Wal and I bought it as D. crinita. I wish she had more..... I would've bought more.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"