IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butiagrus/ Mule?

pg6922

Howdy Yall,

I will occasionally pass through the garden section at Wally world if I am forced to go. They usually have great prices on common palms and I like to peruse them. I was with my wife at the time and this palm stood out as exceptionally green for a butia. Among further examination and comparison, I decided to spend the $13.97 and take it home. I am pretty sure it is a Mule, but I would like some feed back from others with a better eye than me.

I have about 30 strap seedling I am expecting to be mules, I and want to observe the growth pattern of a more mature specimen.

PG

1mule.jpg

2mule.jpg

Cape Coral,FL Southwest

Zone 10a

LSUAvatar1-1.jpg

Looks just like my Mules.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Nice score. Looks like one to me as well.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Ditto w/ the rest of the guys!!!! Great score!! I have grown thousands of Mules and you apparently have the eye!!

Good job!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

What nursery has these blue pots? morningstar nursery?

homedeopt had these the spriing of 2007 but didnt order any palms this year?? all they have are a boat load of majesty and P roebelenii!!!! that have been there forever!

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

What nursery has these blue pots? morningstar nursery?

homedeopt had these the spriing of 2007 but didnt order any palms this year?? all they have are a boat load of majesty and P roebelenii!!!! that have been there forever!

Yes, the blue pots are Morningstar Nursery. It is suppose to mean they are cold hardy. These same pots and plants have been there since summer time.

Cape Coral,FL Southwest

Zone 10a

LSUAvatar1-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

I bought 2 last week from Wal Mart in Spring Hill, Fl listed as Pindo palms for 17.97 each.

I thought they looked like Mule palms.

post-839-1232652102_thumb.jpg

post-839-1232652157_thumb.jpg

<div align='center'></div>Tatsuo Thayer

Spring Hill, FL usmc_logo.jpg

So let me get this straight. :huh:

I have some that look just like that that I was assuming were eriospatha. Lax leaflets and black leaf bases. The only way to tell at this stage should be the lack of spines on the petiole? They are not as droopy on the newer leaves as a slightly larger butyagrus I got from Merrill. I have another labeled as eriospatha with planar leaves, and it is only a 1-2 gallon size. Definitely small to be showing flattened leaves.

So do all butyagruses lack spines on the petiole, while all butia have spines?

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

I noticed at least one that was from this same farm in our walmart here. I encourage people in this region to check their stores for mules mixed in with pindos.

Jeff

North Florida

• 9 months later...

OK here it is almost a year later. I look at it and see Butia, but since every Mule palm I have seen looks different, its still hard to tell as a young plant. Do all the experts still think this looks like a Butiagrus?

Thanks,

PG

DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

one for scale

DSC_0114.jpg

Cape Coral,FL Southwest

Zone 10a

LSUAvatar1-1.jpg

Yep, it's still a Mule!!! If it were a B.Capitata it would have large thorns by now. It would also be more blue-ish color.

Another Mule trait to look for is the hieght vs width. The trunk would be twice the size of yours to be that tall if it were

pure Butia. Dense shade will stretch a Butia, but it will still have a blue tint.

Also, sometimes my little Butias get attacked by scale. But my Mules don't, the fronds are too thin and soft.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

I am not so sure............. Butia eriospatha can look like this when young if grown in shade.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

• 6 months later...

i was told mine looks like it's a mule, and it looks just like this :)

beautiful tree though...

Jah!

MULE! Git along, 'ere, mule!

And a nice one, too. Put it in the ground, or if, not send it to me . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 3 weeks later...

How can you tell the difference between the mule and the pindo? what traits do you look for?

How can you tell the difference between the mule and the pindo? what traits do you look for?

Pondlover,

It depends on which variety of Butia you're talking about.. Most of the nurseries like Morningstar grow Butia.Capitata. When crossed w/ Queen just look at the pics posted above and i explained some traits in my earlier post that show that they're Mules.

Tatsuo,

Yours look promising for sure, but to be certain wait untill they're 10 gallon size and if they still are green and no spines then you are the proud owner of two Mules!

I doubt Walmart will carry B.Eriospatha like Nigel said. I am glad he added that comment but our big box stores carry the normal B.Capitatas.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

I doubt Walmart will carry B.Eriospatha like Nigel said. I am glad he added that comment but our big box stores carry the normal B.Capitatas.

Yes I guess thats probably right, but we bought some small butia capitatas ( actually Butia odoratas is correct name now ) out of florida a couple of years back and some of those were green too.

Need to get that baby in the ground and let her explode into growth so we can see...........

Edited by Nigel

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk