IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms in Sac?

amazonman

Might be moving up north to Sacramento, California. Any members here from sacramento?

Please post your palm collection, would like to know what can thrive up there.......probably not much :(

PAlm Nut  :P

i dont live there but you could give some rhopalostylis a shot.. i know they can take a little coolness not sure how hot it gets though...

palmfreek

Quite of few palms can thrive around there. My brother in law lives nearby and I have seen palms there. Beside Queens and Washingtonias, I have seen Phoenix species and Jubaeas. I imagine Livstonia, Sabal, parajubaea, Brahea and Butia would grow well. Check out the recent Palm journal from PSSC which discusses desert tolerant palms. Sacramento like the desert/inland has fairly cold winters and very warm summers.

oh, and don't forget the infamous Dypsis decipiens!

Palms are life, the rest is details.

Actually, there are a lot of species of palms that survive in the Central Valley of California. I live in Fresno, which is pretty far south of Sacramento, but the climate is similar. Our highs and lows are virtually the same. I am growing the following, but there are plenty more that can be grown here:

Queen

King - In protected locations

Washingtonias

Phoenix species - including roebelenii

Butia species

Ravenea Rivularis - in protected locations

Dypsis Decipiens

Dypsis Decaryi

Kentia - in protected locations

Jubaea

Here are some pictures from my yard:

Howea Forsteriana, Cyathea Cooperi, Clivia Miniata, Blechnum Gibbum, Tibouchina Urvilleana

HPIM0416.jpg

Ravenea Rivularis

HPIM0459.jpg

And a photo of tropical plants - Pachypodium, Strelitzia, Aloes and Agaves. Phoenix Roebelenii's fronds are also barely visible on the left.

HPIM0388.jpg

In addition to the aboved named palms, you could grow Chamaerops, Chamaedorea microspadix and radicalis, Rhapidophyllum, Livistona australis and decora (decipiens) and all of the cocoid hybrids. It's to hot and to cold in Sac. for Rhopalostylis or any of the Lord Howe palms. Sabals and Braheas grow well in the Central Valley, also Nannorrhops and all Trithrinax. Rhapis in a protected area with some shade. Also Acoelorrhaphe if you give them wet feet. I'm sure there are others too.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Sacramento sits in Sunset climate zone 14, USDA zone 9b same as I am here in Modesto. Soils can obviously differ quite a bit, along with the fact that many areas in the Sacramento region are subject to flooding.

Here in the valley you have 4 distinct seasons, 3 of those seasons appealing to specific palms. December to February is cold (historic low here 18F) and can be rainy (17 in. year here) and foggy. March to May is cool and can be wet but without the fog. Trachycarpus, Parajubeaeas, Rhopolostylis, Archontophoenix and other cool weather palms love this time of year. Plant them in morning sun if possible to protect them from the near desert conditions of June- Sept. Nannorhops, Phoenix, Chameadoreas (shade), and other heat lovers thrive during these summer months but will need daily water. Right now we are in the glorious time period from Sept. to Nov. October saw daily temperatures from 71-80. Everything grows, grandma visits, and we sit in cool breezes by the pool like were on Oahu or something.

I have over 125 species of palms in the ground, the vast majority having grown here over the last 10+ years at two different locations. Try everything.

Currently, we are all fired up about Dypsis decipiens, onihilensis, and baronii. But don't buy the Wodyetia bifurcata's you'll see at the big box stores. Nobody has ever proven to me that that plant will grow in N. Ca.,

Sacramento is a great city, but like Modesto, I think the best thing about it is it's proximity to Lake Tahoe (skiing!), San Francisco, Yosemite.....and the many, many other great places in Northern California. Hope to see you at our Northern California Palm Society Meetings next year! :)

post-376-1225884230_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Glenn,

You are lots braver than I am. I tend not to push the zones, but you have beautiful cycads and palms. I think I get a little colder and hotter than you do. My low in 89/90 was 14F and my high this past summer was 113F. My Dypsis decipiens and Trach. nanus were cooked on my deck, not killed but damaged. The Parajubaes and other palms growing in the same area were not damaged.

You are right, this was one of the most beautiful Octobers I can ever remember with many balmy evenings on the patio. It's a little chilly this morning and the coolest yet this year at 39F. I can usually expect the first light frost around the middle of Nov.

My Parajubaea T V T has doubled in size this summer and it's above my head and to tall to cover this winter. I wish I could get my hands on some of that new product, Frost-proof. Just two degrees protection would help a lot. Fingers crossed on what this winter has in store for us.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Glenn,

You are lots braver than I am. I tend not to push the zones, but you have beautiful cycads and palms. I think I get a little colder and hotter than you do. My low in 89/90 was 14F and my high this past summer was 113F. My Dypsis decipiens and Trach. nanus were cooked on my deck, not killed but damaged. The Parajubaes and other palms growing in the same area were not damaged.

You are right, this was one of the most beautiful Octobers I can ever remember with many balmy evenings on the patio. It's a little chilly this morning and the coolest yet this year at 39F. I can usually expect the first light frost around the middle of Nov.

My Parajubaea T V T has doubled in size this summer and it's above my head and to tall to cover this winter. I wish I could get my hands on some of that new product, Frost-proof. Just two degrees protection would help a lot. Fingers crossed on what this winter has in store for us.

Dick

Hi Dick,

Amazonman would be wise to follow your advice as you are much more experienced than I. Ive seen many collections and yours is one of the finest.... anywhere.

I do think you're right...your site in Walnut Creek does seem just slightly more freeze prone than some of us here in the valley, but maybe there are other factors. My house sits tightly surrounded by other homes, with loads of cement, swimming pools and other heat absorbing/retaining/ creating features. Your place is on a large lot, a distance from other homes, and many of your palms are away from your house. It's magnificent, but not especially protected in most areas. The only place I can grow Archontophoenix and other sub tropical palms is in an east facing (morning sun) position, right next to my house, just feet from the swimming pool. Add the fact that I do believe that someday a major freeze will come and take some of these marginal palms.

Nice October, huh? Best month of all, here in Nor Cal. IMHO. I had a meeting here last year (or the year before?) in October. My current yard is still too young but the weather was nice.

Wow..Parajubeae PVT is a grower, isn't it? My P sunkha is slow, P. cocoides is medium, but P. TVT looks like its pretty fast. So this Frost Proof product is pretty good? I'd better get on the stick and find some.

Good luck to amazonman in Sacramento! Oh, and by the way, you are very likely making an improvement in growing conditions, going from Apple Valley to Sac. :)

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Just some more photos of palm possibilities for Sacramento. This Archontophoenix is likely alexandrae x cunninghamiana.

post-376-1226007880_thumb.jpg

post-376-1226007884_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Might be moving up north to Sacramento, California. Any members here from sacramento?

Please post your palm collection, would like to know what can thrive up there.......probably not much :(

Hey Amazonman,

Be sure to plant the follow and look later for others!

Burretiokentia Hapala

Burretiokentia Koghiensis

Chambeyronia Macrocarpa

Chambeyronia Macrocarpa (Hookeri)

Dypsis Baronii Sugar Cane Palm

Dypsis onilahensis

Dypsis Decipiens Manambe Palm

Hedyscepe Canterburyana Umbrella Palm, Big Mountain Palm

Howea Belmoreana Curly Palm

Jubaea chilensis MASSIVE

Rhopalostylis baueri

Rhopalostylis Sapida (Oceana) Chatham Island Nikau Palm GREAT for So. Calif.

Rhopalostylis Sapida

All proven as I have clients that are happy in them woods! :rolleyes:

Cycads and other upon request!

Enjoy your new home,

Clark

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

Glenn,

Dick

Hi Dick,

Amazonman would be wise to follow your advice as you are much more experienced than I. Ive seen many collections and yours is one of the finest.... anywhere.

I do think you're right...your site in Walnut Creek does seem just slightly more freeze prone than some of us here in the valley, but maybe there are other factors. My house sits tightly surrounded by other homes, with loads of cement, swimming pools and other heat absorbing/retaining/ creating features. Your place is on a large lot, a distance from other homes, and many of your palms are away from your house. It's magnificent, but not especially protected in most areas. The only place I can grow Archontophoenix and other sub tropical palms is in an east facing (morning sun) position, right next to my house, just feet from the swimming pool. Add the fact that I do believe that someday a major freeze will come and take some of these marginal palms.

Nice October, huh? Best month of all, here in Nor Cal. IMHO. I had a meeting here last year (or the year before?) in October. My current yard is still too young but the weather was nice.

Wow..Parajubeae PVT is a grower, isn't it? My P sunkha is slow, P. cocoides is medium, but P. TVT looks like its pretty fast. So this Frost Proof product is pretty good? I'd better get on the stick and find some.

Good luck to amazonman in Sacramento! Oh, and by the way, you are very likely making an improvement in growing conditions, going from Apple Valley to Sac. :)

amazonman,

I would definitely take the advice of long time veteran collector and grower, Dick Douglas. His garden is probably the best hands down and has been established for many,many years. If it can grow there, he'll have it.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Just some more photos of palm possibilities for Sacramento. This Archontophoenix is likely alexandrae x cunninghamiana.

Oh, by the way...these flowering Archontophoenix in the pictures are next to my house and are 5 years old from a 5 gallon pot.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Thanks guys for all your inputs :)

Wow much more selection than where i am at now :yay:

Might actually like moving after all.......LOL

Guess i'll need to make a shopping list and go on a palming spree!

Btw you palm guys up north ROCK :D

Edited by amazonman

PAlm Nut  :P